Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Keeps asking about admin password

sttorstein
Follower

Keeps asking about admin password

When using the app it askes about password all the time. Now it doesnt accept the password anymore, but I have not changed it. Why cant it just work? I've read that I need to use a pc and to some advanced hacking to recover the password. Is there a way to go around all that hazzle? By something else, like Google?
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you referring to the Orbi app? If so, please post about this in the Orbi app forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 14
GreyBat
Aspirant

I noticed this question was referred to the ORBI App board. For me this is actively a problem with the web UI. When my browser has a tab open to the router IP, I am constantly barraged with requests to re-enter userid (always "admin") and my password. What makes this more irritating is that the request appears as a popup window and it locks me out of all other tabs until I provide the information. This usually happens every 5 minutes or so, but sometimes the wait is longer thanks goodness. (Just got interrupted again while typing this reply!)

Oddly, most times, when I open a new browser tab (after I have closed it previously), I am often not asked for this information sometimes for several minutes. This behaviour occurs in V38 and V40. Not sure whether it did in previous releases, but I don't remember it being so invasive.

Would be interested to know if this is a known issue, or whether there are any fixes.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to clear all browser caches and then exit the browser. Then re-open the browser and enter back into the routers web page. 

Try different browsers to compare. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

@GreyBat wrote:

I noticed this question was referred to the ORBI App board. For me this is actively a problem with the web UI. When my browser has a tab open to the router IP, I am constantly barraged with requests to re-enter userid (always "admin") and my password. What makes this more irritating is that the request appears as a popup window and it locks me out of all other tabs until I provide the information. This usually happens every 5 minutes or so, but sometimes the wait is longer thanks goodness. (Just got interrupted again while typing this reply!)

Oddly, most times, when I open a new browser tab (after I have closed it previously), I am often not asked for this information sometimes for several minutes. This behaviour occurs in V38 and V40. Not sure whether it did in previous releases, but I don't remember it being so invasive.

Would be interested to know if this is a known issue, or whether there are any fixes.

Message 4 of 14
GreyBat
Aspirant

Well, clearing the cache might have helped, but at the cost of losing all sign-in cookies! Seems to me it should not require such draconian measures!

And, no: I haven't done a factory reset!

And, again, I've been interrupted by the sign-in request while in the middle of typing this reply. So I don't think clearing the cache is the answer.

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Clearing the browser cache can also ensure the browser is correctly handling cookies or bad cookie or bad cached information that broswer now maybe in a bad state. Clearing this allow the browser to gather up the data and allows the user to ensure the sign in information is correct. Which this sounds like your browser state or cache is currently in. This is a normal use and resolution to browser issues. This only clears the cache and not saved PWs. You just can't rely on the data to be always accurate. Can be out of sync or in  bad state and mis-handled by the browser. You seem to be the only one with this issue currently. I don't seen this with my browsers I use. 

A factory reset should be performed on the RBR as a last resort. 

Message 6 of 14
GreyBat
Aspirant

Well, it seems to be happening for me in Firefox (brower of choice!) and Chrome! And I wouldn't mind so much if the sign-in request only appeared on the tab for the router UI. The problem is that, if I leave this tab open, I keep getting prompted - and forced back - when I am looking at other tabs...... like this one!

(BTW, I didn't mean to imply that my p/ws were lost. Just that I have to re-sign-in to all my saved sites, like gmail, guardian newspaper, etc.etc. Not to mention the loss of all my websudoku stats!  Inconvenient!)

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You might consider this, pick one Mfr browser and use this one browser for the Orbi management page. Don't use this browser for anything else. Use your main browser that you use for all other sites. Might help avoid some issues seen with router caches and such. I mostly use IE11 and Sometimes Opera. Opera is my main browser. 

You have your options. Clear caches, factory reset, or revert back FW to what had been working before if you feel the troubleshooting steps dont' resolve your issue. Again. I for one don't seen this. Mine on v40. Not alot of people posting about this with similar issues. So leads me to believe the brower or caches or the system is in a bad state. 

Last last resort, you can contact NG support and let them know your having problems with this as well. 

Message 8 of 14
GreyBat
Aspirant

Thanks for trying to help. I do appreciate it.

I might try a dedicated browser as an experiment, even though I believe that shouldn't be necessary. I also know that I am well beyond the time of getting any free support from NG!

But thanks again for making the suggestions!

Message 9 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@GreyBat wrote:

When my browser has a tab open to the router IP, I am constantly barraged with requests to re-enter userid (always "admin") and my password. What makes this more irritating is that the request appears as a popup window and it locks me out of all other tabs until I provide the information. This usually happens every 5 minutes or so, but sometimes the wait is longer thanks goodness. (Just got interrupted again while typing this reply!)

Oh, yes.  This has been the way the Orbi web interface works for a long time, and is independent of which browser is being used.  In my case, I can leave the Home Page up forever without being prompted.  The "Attached Devices" page, however, pops up the login request about every five minutes and bugs the s**t out of me.  I will be typing in another box, the damn screen pops up, and I type over "admin".  So, not only do I have to hit the login button, but I also have to correct the mistaken typing.

Does this happen to you on every Orbi web screen, or only on some screens?

Message 10 of 14
GreyBat
Aspirant

Well, it's reassuring to know someone else has the same issue!

I have installed Opera as a dedicated browser for the router, and, so far, even though I have been on the Attached Devices page for around 30 minutes or so I have had  couple of prompts: "Your connection to this site is not private."

I would think it was pretty much private (though I am by no means an expert in such matters). Its a local IP address, and won't let a second device log in to it! This would seem to be unnecessary, isn't it?

Message 11 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

The warning "This site is not private" refers to it being http, rather than encrypted https. It is a generic warning about any web site that is http.

Message 12 of 14
studdawg
Aspirant

I just performed a factory reset of the entire system to try and fix this (as well as slow web pages loading).  It worked for about an hour and now i'm plagued with this.  If I try to do anything, it get the multilogin box asking for password.  It's insane.  I'm using the latest firmware.  The app doesn't let you do as much as the browser interface.  I've even logged off the app AND disconnected my phone from the network just in case that was causing the second login.  Any other bright ideas?

Message 13 of 14

@studdawg wrote:

Any other bright ideas?

Two:

• Provide some useful information about your network, such as the modem you have in front of the router, perhaps even details of the Orbi router you own
  • Don't hijack someone else's problem and start a fresh discussion that provides the above details. This means that you get tailored advice and might even attract the attention of the Netgear team.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7