Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Known Issues. Orbi Firmware V 2.1.4.10 update

Yamamoto
Star

I did the same as you about 3 weeks ago. Eero has been awesome.

My family stopped complaining and the performance is great. Especially the handshaking between the nodes in my house. I no longer need to turn off WiFi on decide and back on again to force it to connect to a closer node.

Eero customer service is top notch. All USA based

Wow what a concept.
Message 51 of 73
chsalmon
Apprentice

Hi,

Is there any news about a firmware that works without rebooting every days !!?

My router  (auto updated with V2.1.4.10)  reboot every 10-15h, without reason... i've never got uptime more than 1 day (2-3 days with old firmware, but reboot after). 

Im in AP mode.

Strange thing, i've connected the satellite directly to internet (via wire to my modem) and it seems to be self-sufficient, alone, unattached.

It's logical and maybe not recommended but it work great since 27 days !  (kept with  V2.1.1.12 )

Is the satellite can works alone or it is connected to the router and i don't see this link ?

Why the router can't work so long !? maybe because it's not the same device that are connected ?

I think i will invert the position of router/satellite to see if the satellite reboot like the router...

Seriously, i don't understand why you can't do a firmware that works with every device ! my old router did it !

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 52 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model# of this ISP modem? Built in router here by chance?

Any wifi nieghbors near by? If so, how many?

@chsalmon wrote:

Hi,

Is there any news about a firmware that works without rebooting every days !!?

My router  (auto updated with V2.1.4.10)  reboot every 10-15h, without reason... i've never got uptime more than 1 day (2-3 days with old firmware, but reboot after). 

Im in AP mode.

Strange thing, i've connected the satellite directly to internet (via wire to my modem) and it seems to be self-sufficient, alone, unattached.

It's logical and maybe not recommended but it work great since 27 days !  (kept with  V2.1.1.12 )

Is the satellite can works alone or it is connected to the router and i don't see this link ?

Why the router can't work so long !? maybe because it's not the same device that are connected ?

I think i will invert the position of router/satellite to see if the satellite reboot like the router...

Seriously, i don't understand why you can't do a firmware that works with every device ! my old router did it !

Message 53 of 73
chsalmon
Apprentice

i don't know the manufacturer, it's from my provider (In France) named SFR, and yes there is a router inside (and never reboots 🙂  ).

I've tried something, if the router is turned off , the Satellite still works , at least for local network, don't remember if internet was ok in this case. 

Why wifi of neighbors could reboot the router !? (i have none )

Message 54 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Need to do one of the following with your ISP modem:

1. Bridge the modem so the Orbi router is the only router on the line. Disable any wifi radios on the modem.

2. If the modem can't be bridged, use the modems DMZ for the Orbi router if you want to use the Orbi router in router mode. Disable any wifi radios on the modem.

3. Keep the modem/router combo in router mode and configure the Orbi router in AP mode. Disable any wifi radios on the modem.

Sometimes other wifi nieghbors can interfere with the Orbi routers wifi thus causing it to reboot to find another channel to use.

Try setting manual channel on 2.4ghz to 1, 6, 11 or 13 and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

@chsalmon wrote:

i don't know the manufacturer, it's from my provider (In France) named SFR, and yes there is a router inside (and never reboots 🙂  ).

I've tried something, if the router is turned off , the Satellite still works , at least for local network, don't remember if internet was ok in this case. 

Why wifi of neighbors could reboot the router !? (i have none )

Message 55 of 73
chsalmon
Apprentice

So, i've just swapped position of router and satellite.

The Satellite manage all the device that the router did before, and it works great (like before) (in AP mode, firmware V2.1.1.12 , connected directly to main modem router via wire, uptime 02:17:52:33).  Satellite OK.

The router manage the device that and satellite did before, and it reboot again every day (in AP mode, firmware V2.1.4.10 , connected directly to main modem router via wire, uptime 13:58:07, reboot many times). Router KO.

Maybe next test, i will change ssid of router wifi so none device can connect to, to see if it's because of some device.

For me, the router have a problem, the satellite works great.

Why the attached device of the orbi router show all the device from my main modem-router ?  it's a bug ?

these devices are not attached to the orbi, they are attached (wired) to my modem !

Message 56 of 73
cheshbr
Apprentice

The firmware version for the both the router and the satellite should be the same

Message 57 of 73
chsalmon
Apprentice

i don't think it's the reason why the router reboots....

The router even don't know that a satellite exist, the satellite is not attached to the router and it works great (it's connected with wire to my modem-router)

i changed the ssid of the router so no device is connected to.

Router and satellite have 2 differents ssid, satellite work great with 10 devices connected (wifi)

Router always reboot itself with 0 device connected

The router has really a problem... and not with some attached device.. there is none.

Message 58 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Were you able to configure the modem using one of the suggestion I meantioned in my prior post? If so, which suggestion did you use?

@chsalmon wrote:

i don't think it's the reason why the router reboots....

The router even don't know that a satellite exist, the satellite is not attached to the router and it works great (it's connected with wire to my modem-router)

i changed the ssid of the router so no device is connected to.

Router and satellite have 2 differents ssid, satellite work great with 10 devices connected (wifi)

Router always reboot itself with 0 device connected

The router has really a problem... and not with some attached device.. there is none.

Message 59 of 73
chsalmon
Apprentice

My modem-router doesn't change, it's a modem-router, connected to internet.

The orbi router is in AP mode connected to my modem-router (directy with wire).

can't be more simple.

Orbi has its IP, find the Gateway, find internet and "works" at least 10-20 hours as it should. 

So the connection is good, but the router reboot after some hours.

The Problem is the router !!  not my connection.

Don't think i don't know how the network works, i work with computers since 20 years.

I even have a "Wireless Firewall Netgear Router WGT624 v3"  (made when netgear was a great compagny)  !  which worked very well for many years, of course i don't use it anymore.

Maybe i could replace to orbi by this one...

Message 60 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be a good test to see if your other router does same thing in place or not.

Possible you might have just a bad unit that needs to be replaced.

Message 61 of 73
chsalmon
Apprentice

which other router ?  my old "Wireless Firewall Netgear Router WGT624 v3" ? 

( don't think so,  but it worked again, i've just tested it for fun and it's fun to see that the interface of admin is almost the same than the orbi...the design is just different. Yes, a router is a router , with same settings inside, that's surely why it's the same interface..)

The satellite was at same place and worked good for long time, the router has no device connected (so useless) , but connected to my main router (and internet , maybe a problem with this connection ?)  and it reboot after 10-20 hours.

I"ve change the "Transmit Power Control" to 25% to see if it stop reboot.

i don't understand why there is some numbers in this table, i've just reboot the router :

what the router do with WAN ?

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN 100M/Full 2337 4165 0 10859 2093 00:04:45
LAN 1 Link Down 1628 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
LAN 2 Link Down 00:00:00
LAN 3 Link Down 00:00:00
WLAN b/g/n 400M 5095 15 0 0 0 00:04:20
WLAN a/n/ac 866M 2511 7 0 0 0 00:04:18
WLAN Backhaul 1733M 1755 0 0 0 0 00:04:18

Message 62 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

The WAN port is the Internet port to the ISP modem.

Your modem must only handle 100mb and not 1000mb connection rates.

Message 63 of 73
chsalmon
Apprentice

100 mb that's because i'm using a powerline to connect the orbi to the modem.

it's enough for what i want to do with ( a the place where is the router, there is not many device)

So the problem with the router could be hardware or because of the firmware ?

i think this is the firmware because with the  V2.1.1.12 it works better, not great but better.

Strange that the satellite works like a charm (but with V2.1.1.12, i don't change it, it works too great )

Message 64 of 73
chsalmon
Apprentice

ok, just done a last test.

My router was in ROUTER mode (no more AP)...to test if it's more stable...

i've just navigate to the web interface and bam, the router reboots !!  i did nothgin else navigate in the admin interface  😞

is there a way to change the router ?  with Netgear Waranty  ?   i'm living in France..

Message 65 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you phone contact your regional NG support office and get in contact there and let them know whats happening. Ask for an RMA as well. 

@chsalmon wrote:

ok, just done a last test.

My router was in ROUTER mode (no more AP)...to test if it's more stable...

i've just navigate to the web interface and bam, the router reboots !!  i did nothgin else navigate in the admin interface  😞

is there a way to change the router ?  with Netgear Waranty  ?   i'm living in France..

Message 66 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 67 of 73
novice258
Aspirant

I am using the RBR50 Orbi with 2 satellites and just downloaded and installed the most recent firmware release V2.1.4.16 and am having internet connection problems.  Internet connection is randomly connecting/disconnecting.  Is anyone else having this problem?  Any solution?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 68 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too?

Try a full power OFF of the ISP modem and Orbi system. Power ON the modem first and let it sync. Then power ON the router and let it come to ready. Test internet connection first. Then power ON the satellite(s).

Last resort, try a full factory erase on the router and set it up from scratch.

I would post here since you have upgraded FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/td-p/1584969/jump-...

@novice258 wrote:

I am using the RBR50 Orbi with 2 satellites and just downloaded and installed the most recent firmware release V2.1.4.16 and am having internet connection problems.  Internet connection is randomly connecting/disconnecting.  Is anyone else having this problem?  Any solution?

Message 69 of 73
novice258
Aspirant

Will give that a try. Using Xfinity XB3 modem.
Message 70 of 73
DBetts
Guide

So after 9 months of Netgear blaming everybody but themselves, I said screw it, shelved the "Horbi", and bought Eero. 3 weeks and counting of flawless performance from Eero!!  Thank you IT gods. (so much for blaming my ISP, or neighbors router interfering, or miriad firmware, or change 9 obscure settings, then change them back, 50 plus factory resets,and hours reading to try and fix Netgear crap)  

Goodbye Netgear, it has "not" been a slice... 

Message 71 of 73
novice258
Aspirant

The reset in the order suggested seems to have resolved my issues.  I'm connected without issue again!! Thanks for the help!

Message 72 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it helped. Enjoy, Smiley Wink

FYI Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@novice258 wrote:

The reset in the order suggested seems to have resolved my issues.  I'm connected without issue again!! Thanks for the help!

Message 73 of 73
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7