Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: LAN Connectivity Failure from Wireless Diagnostics (macOS)

Hawkmoth
Star

LAN Connectivity Failure from Wireless Diagnostics (macOS)

During some aggravating trouble shooting while setting up a new Orbi system to address the scanner of our Brother multi-function printer, I ran the Mac Wireless Diagnoistics app. It renurned (and still does) a LAN Connectivity Failure. The text inside that issue says, You are connected to a Wi-Fi network tht cannot communicate with your wireless router." It advises the user to restart the router (no help) and then to conact Apple for more assistance if that doesn't work (also no help).

I am curious to know what this message might mean. Everything is working corrrectly on the wireless network. My devices are all connected and operating properly. I can access the Internet through the usual tools. I presume these facts at least mean that I have communicated with my wireless router to set it up in the first place. So it seems like I am shown a failure, but one without a consequence. I can invent the following: Perhaps this just means that the wirelss network that is running on the Orbi is different from the router itself, so the network is isolated from the router itself. I have no expertise to create this scenario, though. I can get to the router adminstration page via my web browser, but that is running on top of the wifi network.

Can someone clarify the meaning of this message? A screen capture of the failure message is attached.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

If things are working with the Orbi though, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

Is the Mac connected to the base router or a satellite?

How is the Orbi configured? Router mode or AP mode?

How is the satellites connected? wireless or wired?

Message 2 of 14
Hawkmoth
Star

Firmware for Orbi: 2.1.4.16

Cable modem: Arris Touchstone, TM1602A - supplied by Charter/Spectrum

Mac always connects itself to the satelite, although it will work with the base station if the satellite is turned off.

macOS: 10.13.6

Orbi is in router mode

Satellite (one only) is connected to the router wirelessly.

As I said in my original question, everything appears to be functioning well and reliably.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

So does the Mac diagnostic utility pass if you connect the Mac to the base router? I presume it should.

Does the Mac work ok when connected to the satellite?

It maybe that the apps doesn't know how to handle a connecting thru a wireless mesh system.

Message 4 of 14
Hawkmoth
Star

The LAN Connectivity Failure persists if I turn off the satellite. The rest of the message about this suggests restarting the router. Doing that also does not eliminate the reported failure.

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

And does this happen if you disable wifi on the Mac and connect it via Lan cable to the back of the router?

Message 6 of 14
Hawkmoth
Star

It isn't practical to connect the Mac directly to the router with an ethernet cable. It's too far and the iMac would be a chore to move to be within reach.

I could do that with the satellite, but not the router itself.

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

This is a temp test. However try with the satellite. I presume you may see the same message.

Message 8 of 14
Hawkmoth
Star

Seems problematic, since the application itself is Wireless Diagnostics, doesn't it. Not LAN diagnostics. But will try it when I get a chance. Can't right now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. I presume this is how the app works. Nothing to be too bothered by. You might ask Apple support on this and how it supposed to work.

Message 10 of 14
Hawkmoth
Star

I did contact Apple support first. The tech I talked to was interested, but also did not understand what the message means. I declined her offer to elevate to a more senior tech. It's a puzzle, but not a functional matter at this point.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, well, it's there product, they should know about it.Smiley Frustrated

Good Luck. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 14
Hawkmoth
Star

I agree - Apple should know what their message means. I presume someone there does, but I'm not sure how persistent I want to be to get to the one who is in the know. I was hoping posting here might work without too much fuss.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

If things are working with the Orbi though, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7