Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: [LAN access from remote] steam query port traffic?

AstroCat
Star

[LAN access from remote] steam query port traffic?

We set up a Valhiem game server, when I check the logs the Steam query server port 2457 is getting lots of traffic.

[LAN access from remote] from x.x.x.x:xxxxx to xxx.xxx.x.xxx:2457, (date and time)

I assume this is normal, and users are seeing the server through the Steam server browser, thus the traffic on the port, even though they of course aren't actually connecting to our game server?

Just wanted to confirm this is ok.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@AstroCat wrote:

Yeah seems that Steam users are able to query the server, but that aren't actually conneced to the server. It's pw protected anyway. 

This may be an issue of semantics.  In network terms, someone makes a connection to the server and is faced with a request to log in, which they cannot complete.  They are connected in the sense of an open TCP link, but they are not "connected" in the sense of being able to do anything.

This could be demonstrated by capturing the WAN/LAN traffic.  When a connection happens from outside the Orbi (WAN), there will also be a connection on the LAN side to the device that port is forwarded to.

One of the interesting issues of forwarding ports is that some connections will arrive because people are directed to your server by an organized process.  There might be a game registry where people can select which server they want right now.  Other people spend all day scanning every public IP address for "open ports" and immediately attempt to connect to them.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You should contact the Mfr of the game services to see if this is what is expected for there product. 

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@AstroCat wrote:

We set up a Valhiem game server, when I check the logs the Steam query server port 2457 is getting lots of traffic.

[LAN access from remote] from x.x.x.x:xxxxx to xxx.xxx.x.xxx:2457, (date and time)

I assume this is normal, and users are seeing the server through the Steam server browser, thus the traffic on the port, even though they of course aren't actually connecting to our game server?

When a port is "opened" on the router, that means that people on the internet can connect to the public IP of your router on port 2457 and will be connected to the device inside the network that the port is forwarded to.  So, yes. Every time someone connects, there should be an entry in the Orbi log.  Port forwarding only functions if the device actually has the port open and accepts connections. My guess is that they are connecting to your game server.

Message 3 of 5
AstroCat
Star

Yeah seems that Steam users are able to query the server, but that aren't actually conneced to the server. It's pw protected anyway. 

@CrimpOn wrote:

@AstroCat wrote:

When a port is "opened" on the router, that means that people on the internet can connect to the public IP of your router on port 2457 and will be connected to the device inside the network that the port is forwarded to.  So, yes. Every time someone connects, there should be an entry in the Orbi log.  Port forwarding only functions if the device actually has the port open and accepts connections. My guess is that they are connecting to your game server.

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@AstroCat wrote:

This may be an issue of semantics.  In network terms, someone makes a connection to the server and is faced with a request to log in, which they cannot complete.  They are connected in the sense of an open TCP link, but they are not "connected" in the sense of being able to do anything.

This could be demonstrated by capturing the WAN/LAN traffic.  When a connection happens from outside the Orbi (WAN), there will also be a connection on the LAN side to the device that port is forwarded to.

One of the interesting issues of forwarding ports is that some connections will arrive because people are directed to your server by an organized process.  There might be a game registry where people can select which server they want right now.  Other people spend all day scanning every public IP address for "open ports" and immediately attempt to connect to them.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7