Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: LBK1220 5G Internet (Want Optimized for Gaming)

Devon99
Aspirant

LBK1220 5G Internet (Want Optimized for Gaming)

Ignoring the model I put, I couldn't find my actual one on the list: 
https://www.netgear.com/au/home/mobile-wifi/lte-modems/lbk1220/
So to summarise, I'm wondering what the best setup and settings would be for my router?
We're currently paying for a 5g connection, which I'm assuming gets downgraded to 4GX since the closest mobile tower is 4g 700mhz max, the tower is about 250 meters away from my house.
We have the main router connected to my PC via Ethernet, and the seperate satellite sitting in the middle of the home.
I'm not sure if an atenna would help, and currently I'm sitting at around 35 upload speed with 2-10 download, so I'm not sure why it's so bad.
If any of you can help me out, would be appreciated

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi LTE products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi LTE and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-LTE/bd-p/en-home-orbi-lte

Thank you.

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Devon99 wrote:

https://www.netgear.com/au/home/mobile-wifi/lte-modems/lbk1220/
So to summarise, I'm wondering what the best setup and settings would be for my router?
We're currently paying for a 5g connection, which I'm assuming gets downgraded to 4GX since the closest mobile tower is 4g 700mhz max, the tower is about 250 meters away from my house.
If any of you can help me out, would be appreciated

This product connects only to 4G LTE. Paying for 5G would seem not to be worth any extra cost.

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/LBK1220.pdf 

On the matter of antennas, unless the router is (literally) sitting in an open window, using external antennas would seem to be a good way to improve performance. Since this product appears designed specifically for Telstra customers, I would start by calling Telstra and asking which antennas they recommend.  I would go for a MIMO antenna which houses two antennas in one device rather than two separate antennas. (It will have TS9 connectors for both of the connector ports on the router.)  The type of antenna connector is a consideration that is overlooked frequently.  People buy an antenna, unbox it, and discover it has a different stype of connector than they need.  The TS9 connector is physically smaller than typical LTE antenna connectors, possibly because this new Orbi router is physically small and does not have a lot of space for typical connectors. See this description:

https://www.dipolnet.com/types_of_connectors_in_wlan_gsm_3g_lte_devices_bib525.htm 

Message 3 of 9
Devon99
Aspirant

"This product connects only to 4G LTE. Paying for 5G would seem not to be worth any extra cost."
I realise this, but they won't make any changes, and the tower wont seem to connect to any other company besides their ISP
(I've looked for other plans, but all of them say they're unavaliable in the area)
so basically, it's overpaying for 5g (when it's actually 4g) or going satellite (which the ping is terrible)

signalsignal
these are my signal strengths, do you think an antenna would still be worth it?? I looked at one of these but decided against it, it's basically designed for my type of connection.
antennaantenna

Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry, images placed "in-line" with the Photos icon in the menu bar do not appear until approved by a forum moderator, which can take hours (or days?) Images attached using the "Browse" button in the lower left are available immediately.

(I think this is stupid, but "it is what it is")

Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

So, Telsa tech support was no help?

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I not recommend cell serivces for online gaming conditions. Especially online multiplayer or heavy coop games. Wired Cable, DSL or Fiber would be best for gaming. 

Message 7 of 9
Devon99
Aspirant

I not know that oh
??????????????????? 

you think I wouldn't be using that if cell wasn't my only option??

Message 8 of 9
Devon99
Aspirant

no, not really, they said there was a problem with my upload, when the problem was the low download speeds. I've contacted about my tower, and they said they'd investigate, but wether or not that actually do is a differents story.

also I think the pictures have loaded

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7