Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LBR20 with Airport Extremes as extenders

cnwdon
Tutor

LBR20 with Airport Extremes as extenders

We now have 2 Airport Extremes connected by Ethernet cable to Netgear switch, which connects to our cellular modem.  We plan to buy the new Orbi Mesh LBR20 when available, because it will work with Verizon cell service.  Since our Airport Extremes are already configured and functioning as extenders with the current modem, can we simply substitute the Orbi Mesh LBR20 for the current Verizon Novatel modem/router now in use?

Information about when the LBR20 will actually be for sale would be appreciated too: we have difficulty with our current Novatel router failing to deliver the speed it once did, despite resets.  Getting the LBR20 soon would be helpful.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: LBR20 with Airport Extremes as extenders

IF thats what you use to connect your phone and other wifi devices to, then yes. 

SSID names can be anything and be intuitive as well. You don't have to use default SSID names for your wifi network for your home devices. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I would check out the installation guide, data sheet for more information and help on this. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/lbr20.aspx#docs

Message 2 of 6
cnwdon
Tutor

Perhaps clarification of my question will help.  It is probably more a "general case" question.  With existing satellites (AE's in this case) already functioning in that mode, connected through a switch to the current primary router, can one just disconnect that router (cellular in this case, but likely doesn't matter to question) and put the LBR20 in its place and have the satellites happily continue functioning as they have?  I have looked at the data sheet and installation (Quick Start) guide, and the answers are not there.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

The LBR is fairly new to most around here so not alot of users posting about it or experiences with it. One user posted about trying to connect Orbi AC RBS to the LBR not too long ago and I believe that didn't work. Not sure if non Orbi extenders will work with the system. They may or may not. 
If you set up the LBR with the same SSID name and PW, you can try to turn ON the other exenders to see if they work or not. If they don't, then you'll know. 

Message 4 of 6
cnwdon
Tutor

Thanks.  If I understand things right, the SSID is the "name" in my list of connection choices, in this case "Verizon-4GLT-BRV-5437".  Do you mean that I would "name" the LBR20 with that moniker, and use the existing password?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

IF thats what you use to connect your phone and other wifi devices to, then yes. 

SSID names can be anything and be intuitive as well. You don't have to use default SSID names for your wifi network for your home devices. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7