Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: LBR20 with Verizon

chicagod
Guide

LBR20 with Verizon

I have purchased the LBR20 and Verizon will not activate it (even though it is compatible with their LTE bands).  If you plan to use this with Verizon, do not purchase it.

Message 1 of 29

Accepted Solutions
chicagod
Guide

@chicagod wrote:

@ChristineT wrote:

Good morning @chicagod,

Yes, I can confirm this will be certified in the upcoming weeks barring any unforeseen complications. I'm using my Verizon SIM and connected to the internet while I write this! 🙂 I also have a JetPack so it we need to troubleshoot together I'm happy to continue working with you directly.

Thanks for your additional feedback @Mstrbig! T-Mobile is the backbone of Clearway so that's definitely an optimal configuration! 🙂

If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to continue to @ mention me! 🙂

Cheers,

Christine

I just tried to use the activated SIM from the Jetpack in the LBR20, adn unfortunately it did not work.  I even tried changing the MAC address to that on the Jetpack.  Again, you can see on the connection status that there is a good connection.  Unless there are some configuration options that are not set properly, I guess I will have to wait for Verizon certification.

OK... as a last ditch effort, I went into all of the settings on the Jetpack and noticed that it said APN: VZWINTERNET.  I entered this into the Orbi and it works!!!

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 29

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What reason did they give you? 

Did you buy a nano sim for it? 

Message 2 of 29
Mstrbig
Master

@chicagod wrote:

I have purchased the LBR20 and Verizon will not activate it (even though it is compatible with their LTE bands).  If you plan to use this with Verizon, do not purchase it.

Maybe the LBR20 currently only support GSM and not CDMA as they state AT&T, T-Mobile and other major 4G LTE Service Providers (excluding Sprint).

Sprint, Verizon, and US Cellular use CDMA. AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM. Most other providers also use GSM.

Message 3 of 29
chicagod
Guide

No, the store even tried to activate a SIM for another device, and I used that one in the LBR20.  It sees their network (great signal on LTE band 13), but does not get an IP.  So it's technically compatible, but Netgear and Verizon are apparently not playing together well.

Message 4 of 29
chicagod
Guide

It's not in Verizon's list of supported devices to activate.  The store even tried to activate a SIM for another device, and I used that one in the LBR20.  It sees their network (great signal on LTE band 13), but does not get an IP.  So it's technically compatible, but Netgear and Verizon are apparently not playing together well.

Message 5 of 29
Mstrbig
Master

@chicagod wrote:

It's not in Verizon's list of supported devices to activate.  The store even tried to activate a SIM for another device, and I used that one in the LBR20.  It sees their network (great signal on LTE band 13), but does not get an IP.  So it's technically compatible, but Netgear and Verizon are apparently not playing together well.

If the Sim was activated to another device, it probably will not allow you a connection, as some Cellphone companies make you call in to move a sim card to another device. Others like T-Mobile, don't care. Just pop out the sim from one device, put it in another and reboot or turn on. I still think it's a CDMA issue, since it won't work on Sprint. 

Message 6 of 29
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @chicagod,

Thank you for posting your feedback here! I'd love to hear more about your experience while I investigate your report with our engineering team. I believe we are in the final stages of certification with Verizon but expect it to work in the interim.

As a work around, you may be able to put the SIM into a mobile phone to complete the activation and then reinsert it into the Orbi LTE router. I have actually tried this myself so I am fairly certain this work-around is worth trying! 

You may also be interested in activating the SIM that came with the product until the Verizon certification is finalized. Check out Clearway.com/netgear for more information on plan pricing. If your intent is to stick with Verizon you can simply purchase 1 month at a time as there are no contracts.

Again, I'd love to hear more about your experience and take it back to the Product Management team. 

Kind Regards and welcome to the Orbi Family! 

Cheers,
Christine 

Message 7 of 29
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @Mstrbig

It sounds like you have a good deal of knowledge about this LTE stuff!! Your theory is really interesting! I'll see what I can find out! Do you have an LBR20 Orbi Router? If so, which carrier do you have?

Thanks for your help here! 

Kind Regards,

Christine

Message 8 of 29
chicagod
Guide

@ChristineT wrote:

Hello @chicagod,

Thank you for posting your feedback here! I'd love to hear more about your experience while I investigate your report with our engineering team. I believe we are in the final stages of certification with Verizon but expect it to work in the interim.

As a work around, you may be able to put the SIM into a mobile phone to complete the activation and then reinsert it into the Orbi LTE router. I have actually tried this myself so I am fairly certain this work-around is worth trying! 

You may also be interested in activating the SIM that came with the product until the Verizon certification is finalized. Check out Clearway.com/netgear for more information on plan pricing. If your intent is to stick with Verizon you can simply purchase 1 month at a time as there are no contracts.

Again, I'd love to hear more about your experience and take it back to the Product Management team. 

Kind Regards and welcome to the Orbi Family! 

Cheers,
Christine 

Christine,

Thank you for your reply.  If you can confirm with your engineering team that this will eventually be certified with Verizon, that would be fabulous.  If so, I will hang onto it.  I have purchased a Jetpack for the moment, and I will try the SIM from that tomorrow.  The Clearway data plans are a fair amount more than the Jetpack ones on Verizon, so I'd prefer not to have to use that option.  Thanks.

Message 9 of 29
Mstrbig
Master

@ChristineT wrote:

Hello @Mstrbig

It sounds like you have a good deal of knowledge about this LTE stuff!! Your theory is really interesting! I'll see what I can find out! Do you have an LBR20 Orbi Router? If so, which carrier do you have?

Thanks for your help here! 

Kind Regards,

Christine

Hi @ChristineT 

My company does a lot of network and communications design and installations. The LBR20 is a great product, but  my theory is based on personal experience. I don't look at it as a setback as there are a lot of options for 4G LTE.

Since mesh systems have become so popular, we install and set them up in home, office and warehouse environments.

I love the Orbi mesh systems, coming personally from another popular brand, and prefer them over other brands.

I do not own an LBR20, but have installed them in homes and businesses. We mostly use T-Mobile and AT&T, unless the customer prefers another compatible carrier. We are with T-Mobile so if I get one, I'll probably use them.

Message 10 of 29
ChristineT
Admin

Good morning @chicagod,

Yes, I can confirm this will be certified in the upcoming weeks barring any unforeseen complications. I'm using my Verizon SIM and connected to the internet while I write this! 🙂 I also have a JetPack so it we need to troubleshoot together I'm happy to continue working with you directly.

Thanks for your additional feedback @Mstrbig! T-Mobile is the backbone of Clearway so that's definitely an optimal configuration! 🙂

If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to continue to @ mention me! 🙂

Cheers,

Christine

Message 11 of 29
WindeaterOK
Tutor

Greetings!

Besides checking this community daily, is there a way to get notified when the LBR20 is Verizon certified?

Message 12 of 29
Mstrbig
Master

@WindeaterOK wrote:

Greetings!

Besides checking this community daily, is there a way to get notified when the LBR20 is Verizon certified?

I don't think so as there is no forum for the LBR20 

Message 13 of 29
chicagod
Guide

@ChristineT wrote:

Good morning @chicagod,

Yes, I can confirm this will be certified in the upcoming weeks barring any unforeseen complications. I'm using my Verizon SIM and connected to the internet while I write this! 🙂 I also have a JetPack so if we need to troubleshoot together I'm happy to continue working with you directly.

Cheers,

Christine

I just tried to use the activated SIM from the Jetpack in the LBR20, adn unfortunately it did not work.  I even tried changing the MAC address to that on the Jetpack.  Again, you can see on the connection status that there is a good connection.  Unless there are some configuration options that are not set properly, I guess I will have to wait for Verizon certification.

Message 14 of 29
chicagod
Guide

@chicagod wrote:

@ChristineT wrote:

Good morning @chicagod,

Cheers,

Christine

OK... as a last ditch effort, I went into all of the settings on the Jetpack and noticed that it said APN: VZWINTERNET.  I entered this into the Orbi and it works!!!

Message 15 of 29
Mstrbig
Master

@chicagod wrote:

Great news! So you have a Verizon 4G network running successfully? The LBR20 is a great unit.

Message 16 of 29
chicagod
Guide

@Mstrbig wrote:

Great news! So you have a Verizon 4G network running successfully? The LBR20 is a great unit.

Yes!  I'll configure the rest at the rural location I'll be installing it at this weekend.  But I I successfully connected a client and browsed the net from it here.

Message 17 of 29
ChristineT
Admin

@Mstrbig , Yep! I sure do! 🙂 If you get one, I really hope you are as impressed as I am!

Do you plan to use this as your primary Internet service? This product is a real game changer for folks in rural areas that may not have a way to get internet through traditional infrastructure such as DSL, cabling and such!

I'm personally pretty excited that I can also use this system as a failover so I'll always be connected. I'm a bit torn though... I don't currently have it set up as a failover and am thinking about actually "cutting the cord" with my Cable provider to save some money since it's working so well! You might think, since I work for NETGEAR, I "have to say that" but in all  honesty I'm really impressed! ahahhaa

Cheers,

Christine 

Message 18 of 29
ChristineT
Admin

Hey @chicagod ,

That's great news and awesome troubleshooting my friend! I'm sure that's going to help a ton of other people who may experience a similar issue!! 

I'll mark your answer as the solution so it's easy for people to find quickly!

Cheers,

Christine

Message 19 of 29
Mstrbig
Master

@ChristineT wrote:

@Mstrbig , Yep! I sure do! 🙂 If you get one, I really hope you are as impressed as I am!

Do you plan to use this as your primary Internet service? This product is a real game changer for folks in rural areas that may not have a way to get internet through traditional infrastructure such as DSL, cabling and such!

I'm personally pretty excited that I can also use this system as a failover so I'll always be connected. I'm a bit torn though... I don't currently have it set up as a failover and am thinking about actually "cutting the cord" with my Cable provider to save some money since it's working so well! You might think, since I work for NETGEAR, I "have to say that" but in all  honesty I'm really impressed! ahahhaa

Cheers,

Christine 

@ChristineT 

I am always impressed with Netgear products, and I don't have to say that, lol.

My company has installed the LRB20 for some of our commercial clients that want a backup wireless plan, as well as a few homeowners. 

Failover is a nice feature, but around here, we have such fast internet plans available that most customers want as fast as they can afford, and purchase it for the failover feature. 5G, using T-Mobile's statistics at 330 Mbps, will be a game changer in the months to come.

Message 20 of 29
WindeaterOK
Tutor

I tried this solution -- no joy -- shows the SIM is registered but no verification of LTE status.

Message 21 of 29
WindeaterOK
Tutor

APN Settings: what User Name and Password is needed here? Is it the router username and password or my Verizon username and password or something else???

Message 22 of 29
chicagod
Guide

@WindeaterOK wrote:

APN Settings: what User Name and Password is needed here? Is it the router username and password or my Verizon username and password or something else???

I did not enter anything in this section for username and password.  I only entered the value for APN.

Message 23 of 29
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @WindeaterOK ,

Sorry to hear you aren't having any joy yet!  😞

Were you able to complete the entire set up process? If not, where were you in the process? Can you share some additional details about what you have tried so far?

I'm sure one of us here can help figure out what's going on. However, you may also want to check out the LBR20 User Manual for guidance.

I look forward to your response! 

Cheers,

Christine

Message 24 of 29
WindeaterOK
Tutor

No, I've not been able to complete the process. Verizon doesn't yet recognize the IMEI as a compatible device. The only thing I've accomplished to-date is to get it set-up for WiFI but am currently dead in the water as far as Internet access.

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7