Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: LED ring solid white on Router

Tedmh
Aspirant

LED ring solid white on Router

I reset orbi router to factory settings and tried to start up again. It gets to solid white ring light and solid green power LED and that's where it stays. 

Tried resetting again and got the same result. 

Any suggestions as to how I can get router to move past the solid white ring light stage?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
tlubacker
Aspirant

So I ended up hard resetting everything. Got it back to where the router would work. Left my house came back and the satellite had connected its self back to the router. Got on to check everything the the satillite was able to do a firmware update and everything has been great since. Was able to unplug the satillite and move back up stairs. It connect again right away with no issue. So basically I just factory reset everything start over and left it alone. Also note I do have it running as a access point now instead of router mode.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 12

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Tdmh

Do you have a RBK50 unit or a RBK40 unit?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 12
tlubacker
Aspirant

Very frustrated. Purchased system yesterday updated firmware on router and satelitte was lost. Did hard resets and factory resets. Now the router just sitsd with white ring and satelitte has a blue ring. They are constantly on.

Message 3 of 12
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello tlubacker

You will want to contact support for this issue.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

Message 4 of 12
Tedmh
Aspirant

Hi Darren

rbk50. Sorry I left that out in previous post. 

Thanks

Message 5 of 12
rustichippo
Aspirant

Same issue. Hard reset for modem. Now the modem light is solid white, one satellite is solid blue, and one is solid purple. I'd love to know if your issue gets fixed.
Message 6 of 12
tlubacker
Aspirant

So I ended up hard resetting everything. Got it back to where the router would work. Left my house came back and the satellite had connected its self back to the router. Got on to check everything the the satillite was able to do a firmware update and everything has been great since. Was able to unplug the satillite and move back up stairs. It connect again right away with no issue. So basically I just factory reset everything start over and left it alone. Also note I do have it running as a access point now instead of router mode.
Message 7 of 12
Tedmh
Aspirant

That's great to hear.  Two questions:

1. what exactly is a "hard" reset and how do you do it on the rbk50?
  2. Why are you running the unit as an access point instead of a router?

Thanks

Message 8 of 12
tlubacker
Aspirant

1. I used a paper clip to push in the small reset button on the bottom of the router and satillite. I held it for about 15-20 seconds to make sure it reset the light will turn amber.

2. Running the unit as an access point bc I read it helps with performance. I'm still able to plug Ethernet cords into the back as well.
Message 9 of 12
Tedmh
Aspirant

Sounds like hard reset and resetting to factory settings are the same thing. So I did another hard reset on the router. The ring light came up pulsing white for 5 seconds or so and then went solid white again. And there it's stayed for the last three hours or so. I'll leave it alone until tomorrow just on the chance the reset is really really slow. 

But is is suspect the unit is bad now and it's not going to work without some some of intervention. I've had it for a year or so so it's probably out of warranty. I'll try tech support. It was an expensive system!  Hope I'm not just out of luck here. 

Message 10 of 12
Tedmh
Aspirant

Problem solved.

I was able to get ahold of tech support as my orbi is still under warranty (Ive had it for just under a year so I squeeked by!).  I had to wait on hold a LONG time but finally got a knowledgeable support person who worked with me to resolve the issue.  

As it turns out, I may not have held the reset pin in place long enough.  Support had me hold it there for a full minute!  Then, the ring light was still solid white, but we ignored that and were able to login and configure the router and the salletlite with no trouble.  Eventually the solid white ring light went off, but after we'd configured the sattelite.  

Message 11 of 12
revols
Tutor

I had a similar issue with the RBR50 led light staying white. There was no Internet access through it. I did have Internet access through my ISPs router so I knew it was the Orbi Router.

I reset the router using the instructions found at the following kb article. https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

I then tried to do a new system setup through the app on my iPhone. I received the error that the configuration failed to load.

I did a reset again and this time with my computer connected to it I was able to login to it to start the setup. Once the set up began, it errored out again.

Below are the steps I took to finally resolve it.

1. Turn off all satellites (I have 2).
2. Downloaded the latest firmware versions from the Internet to my computer. In my case I used the following link.
https://kb.netgear.com/000053128/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-1-1-16
3. Unplugged the Ethernet cable that was connected from my ISP’s router to the Orbi router so that it could not connect to the Internet on reboot.
4. Plugged my computer cable into the one of the Ethernet ports on the router.
5. Reset the router again with the above kb article.
6. As the Orbi was rebooting – I used a web browser to connect to orbilogin.com. I did receive an error but figured that. After the Orbi was at a boot stage the computer could recognize, I was able to login to it and begin a setup.
7. One of the first messages you will get states that it could not connect to the Internet and do you want it to try again. Select no and that you will set it up manually. Follow all the other setup steps like normal. Once it was completed I did a manual firmware update. Note that what was installed and what I installed where the same version but the manual install was successful. I followed the instructions for the manual update from this link.
https://kb.netgear.com/000053128/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-1-1-16
8. After that I synced my satellites one at a time and everything was back to being operational.

I believe what the issues was is that the firmware update on the router failed and required a manual update to override the previous attempt. The key part for me was to remove the Internet cable before it reboots.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7