Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: LED ring solid white on Router

macyak
Guide

LED ring solid white on Router

Yesterday my network went out in the middle of the day. I tried restarting the Orbi router, but it never recovered -- the ring remains solid white. I restarted several more times, and noticed that sometimes the power LED blinks green (although other times it remains solid green). I tried plugging it into a different outlet (based on advice from another post here) but that made no difference.

I decided to do a factory reset, but that doesn't work either -- Ive held the Reset button down using a paper clip for several minutes, but it has no effect -- the ring remains white and I can't connect to the router via wireless or wired connection.

The Orbi is 16 months old, so it's out of warranty. I have two RBS50 satellites, so I feel pretty deeply invested in this solution -- and besides this experince, it's worked well for us.

Anyone have any advice about how to proceed or anything else I can try?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the system working or is there a internet access problem? 

When you hold the reset button in, only hold it for 10-15 secons. Not minutes. 

Are you able to acess the routers web page at 192.168.1.1? If so, walk thru the set up wizard at this point? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too? 

Message 2 of 6
macyak
Guide

I was actually able to revive the Orbi this morning by using TFTP to reflash the firmware. (Following the directions here). After that, the Orbi started up as normal.

So it seems like firmware got corrupted. I'm guessing that the firmware started  auto-updating yesterday, and the update was still in progress when my wife restarted the router.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah kewl. Good to hear. I recommend manually updating FW with the FW files, using IE11 or FF browsers. Seen bad behaviors when using Chrome. 

Glad you got it working. Enjoy now. 

Message 4 of 6
Ulairi
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ah kewl. Good to hear. I recommend manually updating FW with the FW files, using IE11 or FF browsers. Seen bad behaviors when using Chrome. 

Good to know.  I've been using Chrome for all my interaction with the admin pages ....

Just to be clear - the extension of this is that you're recommending to use FireFox or IE as the browser to access the Orbi Login & admin pages?

The reason that I ask is that manual firmware updates are done under the 'Advanced, 'Administration' menu and most people wouldn't remember the need to use a different browser for the specific purpose of manual firmware updates (there's been a lot of manual updating for Orbi equipment in my house lately ....)  So it's presumably better to use those browsers all the time as the primary interface, to be safe?

Am I interpretting this right?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Only for doing FW updates. Chrome can be used of course to manage and configure the routers features in the UI. I would use IE11 or FF for doing manual FW updates though. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7