Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LG TV Refreshing

Lauberge49
Aspirant

LG TV Refreshing

I have the RBR20 and one satellite, and I have had the satellite connected directly to my LG Smart TV in the den, not more than 50-60’ from the base station. Over the past few weeks this particular gets into a refreshing mode, which is annoying. I have Spectrum Cable and download speed is 110-112, while upload is around 11-12.

We stream everything via YouTube TV

I moved the satellite away, and reset the TV Network connection, and it seems to be better.

Why would the direct connection not be consistent and faster?

Seems weird and my other TVs seem to work fine.

This was happening with just me in the house and just the TV and my IPAD online at the time.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: LG TV Refreshing

A distance of 50-60 feet between the router and satellite may be too far to maintain a good backhaul signal.  The general recommendation is to start at about 30 ft. between them and see how that works.  What does the Orbi web interface show about the satellite connection?

(On the Basic Tab, "Attached Devices")  Does it show the backhaul status as "Good"?

Message 2 of 8

@CrimpOn wrote:

A distance of 50-60 feet between the router and satellite may be too far to maintain a good backhaul signal. 

My thought exactly. That's a stretch for a lot of wifi stuff, especially of there is local interference, from the neighbours for example.

My strategy for connecting fixed stuff that I do not move around, TVs for example, is to use Powerline Ethernet. It is more reliable, and usually faster, than wifi.

Message 3 of 8
Lauberge49
Aspirant

Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 06:49:22 -0700
Subject: Re: LG TV Refreshing (NETGEAR Communities Subscription Update)
So I thought the satellites were for extending the signal to the far reaches of your home. That always involves a distance of more than 30’. I am confused. 
I am watching the tv this morning and no lag without the satellite.
I am confused.......
Message 4 of 8
Lauberge49
Aspirant

How does the Powerline work?

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Lauberge49 wrote:
So I thought the satellites were for extending the signal to the far reaches of your home. That always involves a distance of more than 30’. I am confused. 
I am watching the tv this morning and no lag without the satellite.
I am confused.......

Yes, the point of a mesh network is to extend WiFi coverage to a larger area.  The router and satellite use a 5G WiFi signal to communicate with each other.  5G WiFi does not penetrate as far through buildings as 2.4G, so in practice the satellite has to be close enough to the router to create a strong backhaul signal.  A device that can connect at 5G may be too far from the router to get a good signal, but can be close enough to the satellite to do so.

There may be confusion in terminology.  When people say "directly", we take that to mean "wired with an ethernet cable". So, our assumption is that the TV was getting a signal that came through the 5G backhaul link between the router and satellite and then through a cable to the TV.  If the backhaul link is not "Good", throughput could suffer. 

"Without the satellite" could mean (a) the satellite was disconnected from the TV and moved somewhere else in the house, or (b) the satellite was disconnected from the TV and powered off. Either way, the TV is probably directly connected to the router at 2.4G and has a strong enough signal to stream video.

The way to diagnose the situation is to look at the strength of the signal reported by the router and the TV.

Sorry if we have confused things more than helped.

Message 6 of 8
Lauberge49
Aspirant

Thanks for all of the feedback. I think this Tv might be part of the problem, as I have a Samsung that is farther away and never refreshes or freezes.

I am going to try the powerline suggestion for this particular LG.

Message 7 of 8

@Lauberge49 wrote:

...I have a Samsung that is farther away and never refreshes or freezes.

That's a pleasant surprise. Most of the complaints we see here are about Samsung TVs. Maybe that is because there are many more of them.

Powerline is great here. Ethernet set up is so much easier than wifi. It is also less prone to interference.

I do not even use the fastest plugs with the 1 Gbps Ethernet. 100 Mbps is fast enough for TV streaming.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7