Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LG TV keeps dropping connection to Orbi Satellite (RBK12)

SethOx
Guide

LG TV keeps dropping connection to Orbi Satellite (RBK12)

Hi, I have an Orbi RBK12 and an LG smart TV. The Orbi router is upstairs at the front of the house, and the Orbi satellite is downstairs, one room closer to the back of the house. The TV is in the back room downstairs (so the satellite is in the room next to the room with the TV). I previously had the satellite in the same room as the TV, but in that configuration the satellite kept dropping the connection to the router. After moving the satellite to the adjacent room (where it is now), the satellite has a good connection to the router and everything is fine for all of our devices apart from the TV (no matter where the devices are located).

The problem is that the TV keeps dropping the connection to the satellite. When I turn the TV on it says (in the kind of network status menu) that it’s not connected to the WiFi. I then have to disconnect from the WiFi network, connect again and enter the password. Once I’ve done that the internet usually works fine on the TV while I’m using it. If I go back to watching terrestrial TV and then try to watch something needing internet, often I will have to do the same disconnect and connect again procedure (but not always). Occasionally (but not often), it’s not possible to reconnect to the network at all for a period of time.

As I say, this is only a problem with the TV our phones etc are fine. Is this a known problem that you can help with, or do I need to try to get help from the TV manufacturer?

Thanks,

Seth
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: LG TV keeps dropping connection to Orbi Satellite (RBK12)

@SethOx wrote:
As I say, this is only a problem with the TV our phones etc are fine. Is this a known problem that you can help with, or do I need to try to get help from the TV manufacturer?

There have been a few posts about LG TV's. I do not recall a post describing this particular issue.

My guess is the search most likely to succeed is (a) get a copy of the TV user manual and find the section about WiFi.  Maybe there is something that has to be done to "lock in" the WiFi connection, (b) look for an LG FAQ about WiFi, (c) post a question in an LG user forum. (do they have one?)

Maybe if you list the exact LG model number, someone who watches this forum will have one. (slim, but possible)

Message 2 of 9
SethOx
Guide

Thanks a lot, I’ll try all that.

The model number is LG - 50UK6470PLC, just in case someone can help
Message 3 of 9
SethOx
Guide

Hi, I have noticed something that might be linked to the problem with the TV. I was using my laptop sitting right next to the satellite (and the laptop was connected to the satellite), and I was on a video call. I was watching the connection status of the wifi, and periodically the status would change from "Connected" to "No internet" (and it would stay on "No internet" for a few minutes). However, I was able to continue the video call with no problems (and use the internet) even when the status was "No internet". 

Is this perhaps linked to the problem with the TV? I.e. maybe the "No internet" status is somehow not affecting laptops and mobile devices but is affecting the TV?

Message 4 of 9
dolar353
Aspirant

Exact same problem with my LG TV. LG has replaced the WiFi and main board and the ribbon connecting them all, no luck. I think LG won't admit it's a problem with their components and they keep trying to blame the Orbi WiFi since they can connect with a hotspot. The LG tech also tried to tell me that the Front Point home alarm security system could be booting the TV from the Orbi network, but I don't think I buy that since all other devices remain connected including my older LG tvs on the network.

Message 5 of 9
SethOx
Guide

That's interesting to hear that you're having the same problem. It's actually improved since I did this post - for a month or two it worked with no problems at all, and then in the last few weeks it's started doing it again, but less often, typically only when we turn the TV off, rather than every time we switch from 'internet TV' to normal TV (and sometimes while we were watching). As far as I know, nothing changed that would explain the improvement, so I don't know how to explain it. 

Message 6 of 9
Chris1893
Initiate

I have the exact same issue.  I have 3 LG TVs, 2 are wired, 1 wireless and the wireless has to be manually connected to the wifi almost every time.  Every once in a while it will auto connect.  Having said that I have probably 25 devices in my home connected and everything worked great until I swapped over to Orbi - and that 1 TV is the only issue, everything else worked flawlessly.

Message 7 of 9
SethOx
Guide

Sorry to hear you have the same problem. I guess it sounds like it might be an issue with LG TVs interacting with the Orbi? As I said in a previous post, the problem seems to have solved itself for us somehow (touch wood it's not temporary). I did a complete re-set up of the Orbi using the setup wizard a couple of times, and although the problem didn't stop immediately after I did that, I wonder if that had anything to do with it? I'd be interested to hear if you do manage to solve the problem yourself. 

Message 8 of 9
Chris1893
Initiate

I resolved my issue although it shouldn't have been a fix.  We had a thunderstorm and we had an outage on our ISP and wanting to stream TV I hooked up my Verizon Mifi, threw in the credentials and it connected right up.  I forgot it the mifi was still on the next day, turned the TV on, went to re-enter the credentials (habit) and found it was connected.  I left it like that for a couple of days and every time we turned on the TV it was quickly connected.

I've been through setting after setting on Orbi and had to re-enter the wifi credentials, often several times, to get it to connect, every time we turned the TV on.

One thing I noticed was my wifi credentials were 17 characters - my Verizon mifi length was 9.  I changed my wifi password to something shorter and have not had an issue since then.  It could purely be coincidence but I have not had to re-enter my credentials on that TV since that point and it's been great.

I also live 1/4 of a mile from anyone so if someone tries stealing wifi I'll see the van in the driveway lol 🙂

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7