Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Laptop Will Not Connect to 5Ghz Orbi Even Though Laptop is Compatible

JohnB92
Follower

Laptop Will Not Connect to 5Ghz Orbi Even Though Laptop is Compatible

My laptop is 5 ghz compatible (I know this). However in the app it will only connect to 2.4ghz which results in terribly slow speeds. Need help.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Please describe the laptop distance from the Orbi.

Can you please double check with a web browser that the laptop is connecting at 2.4G rather than 5G.  i.e. open a web browser and connect to the Orbi router, enter "admin" for user name and the Administrative password.  Click on "Attached Devices" and see what it reports.  In the past, users have mentioned the app giving different information than the web interface.

The difference in observable speed is generally not linked to which WiFi band is being used.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

You can however disable the 2.4Ghz SSID from being seen temporarily by setup devices. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. Take the check mark out of the Enable SSID (2.4G) box. This will hide 2.4Ghz SSID support for any 2.4Ghz supporting setup devices and force them to connect to the 5Ghz SSID frequency. Does the laptop connect to the 5Ghz radio then? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@JohnB92 wrote:

My laptop is 5 ghz compatible (I know this). However in the app it will only connect to 2.4ghz which results in terribly slow speeds. Need help.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7