Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Laptop not accessible to local network

Tozmachine
Tutor

Laptop not accessible to local network

Hello

I need your help with my orbi system:

1. I have a laptop connected in ethernet to my internet box.IP address is 192.168.X.X. Let's name this laptop A
  2. I've setup wifi through Orbi 
  3. I've a laptop connected to the wifi with IP adress 10.0.0.X. Let's name it  Laptop B

Problem

I'm able to ping B from A and able to do RDP.

I'm not able to ping and launching remote from A to B.

NB: the two laptops are on Windows 10 Enterprise, Network is parameter as "Private", RDP is allowed in the parameter.

Thanks of your help !

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@Tozmachine wrote:

I've just tried to connect the other laptop in wifi and I have the same issue.

Now I've both with IP Address: 10.0.0.X

Strange it seems that orbi lock ping and remote on network.

Perhaps I am not understanding.  Both laptops are connected to the Orbi WiFi and both now have addresses 10.0.0.x.

A can ping B, but B cannot ping A?  This is still the case?

Windows 10 by default does not respond to ping (ICMP requests).  Perhaps one of the laptops is allowing ping and the other is not?

https://tunecomp.net/allow-incoming-ping-echo-request-without-disabling-windows-10-firewall/ 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

This is a consequence of having two routers (Google "Double-NAT").  There are two easy solutions:

• Connect all devices to the Orbi, with nothing connected to the internet box.
  • Put the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode using the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab->Advanced Setup->Router/AP Mode
Message 2 of 10
Tozmachine
Tutor

THanks of you help

Thanks of your help

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? If so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@Tozmachine wrote:

Hello

I need your help with my orbi system:

1. I have a laptop connected in ethernet to my internet box.IP address is 192.168.X.X. Let's name this laptop A
  2. I've setup wifi through Orbi 
  3. I've a laptop connected to the wifi with IP adress 10.0.0.X. Let's name it  Laptop B

Problem

I'm able to ping B from A and able to do RDP.

I'm not able to ping and launching remote from A to B.

NB: the two laptops are on Windows 10 Enterprise, Network is parameter as "Private", RDP is allowed in the parameter.

Thanks of your help !

Message 4 of 10
Tozmachine
Tutor

Thanks of your feedback @FURRYe38 

"What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance?"

Yes it's built in router.

Just before trying to change in bridge mode. Are you sure I can have impact of this ISP modem between 2 laptops connected in wifi on orbi ? They are now on the same orbi network (10.0.0.X) I understand now double-nat problem and it seems that it's between 2 devices connected on different router, isn't it ?

THanks

Message 5 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@Tozmachine wrote:

Perhaps I am not understanding.  Both laptops are connected to the Orbi WiFi and both now have addresses 10.0.0.x.

Windows 10 by default does not respond to ping (ICMP requests).  Perhaps one of the laptops is allowing ping and the other is not?

https://tunecomp.net/allow-incoming-ping-echo-request-without-disabling-windows-10-firewall/ 

Message 6 of 10
Tozmachine
Tutor

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Tozmachine wrote:

You're right, I didn't update the status but now (as they are both on Orbi now) I'm no more able to ping and doing RDP on both side.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, if the ISP modems is working and a router and wifi, then you laptops maybe connecting to the modem as well. Since they are now seemingly connected to the Orbi system, there getting a 10.x.x.x IP address, this tells us that the Orbi detected the router at the modem, the modems IP address was probably 192.168.1.1 and this would cause a conflict with the Orbi default IP address, so the Orbi changed it's own IP address pool to something different, i.e. 10.x.x.x. 

So the modem needs to be bridged fully if possible. I would ask your ISP about bridging the modem if you don't know how to, or if the modem doesn't support bridging, review the #2 option. WiFi on the ISP modem needs to be disabled regardless so your laptops don't get confused and only connect to the Orbis Wifi, thus you don't get confused. Smiley Wink

@Tozmachine wrote:

Thanks of your feedback @FURRYe38 

"What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance?"

Yes it's built in router.

Just before trying to change in bridge mode. Are you sure I can have impact of this ISP modem between 2 laptops connected in wifi on orbi ? They are now on the same orbi network (10.0.0.X) I understand now double-nat problem and it seems that it's between 2 devices connected on different router, isn't it ?

THanks

Message 8 of 10
Tozmachine
Tutor

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Tozmachine wrote:

I's working now ! Thank you very much !

I don't understand as it was allowed in windows parameters > settings > remote > allowed but it seems that I have to manage it in advanced options also.

I'm surprised because I've updated it on both side and it's working on both side now bu the thing that it works previously in one side whan it was in ethernet.

I will have to do more test to understand well.

Thanks of your help all of you, 

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation