Reply
Highlighted
Initiate

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38


@Retired_Member wrote:

@CrimpOn wrote:

@kyleb88 wrote:

All this could be fixed by NG just turning off auto updates...Simple as that, no if ands or buts.


This is not an "auto update".  User who go to the web interface or the Orbi "app" get a notice thta new firmware is available.  Everyone who is commenting on the new firmware chose to install it.  (Just as I have chosen to wait until a concensus appears about whether the update is on balance a "good thing" or a "bad thing.")


That's what I was wondering.  After reading all these posts about the latest FW, I was wondering was it pushed (no action by user) or did the user go looking for trouble?

 

 


Whether you meant it to be or not, I find that answer to be the equivalent of IT "victim blaming" and more than a little insulting.  Everyone here is a paid-customer of Netgear, and each has/had their own reasons for upgrading the FW.  In my case, I expected the new FW to address several recurring issues that the patch notes suggested should now be resolved, and it may have but the buggy interface now makes it very difficult to manage the Orbi via either the web interface or the android app.  Netgear should not be having customers act as their QA team for new FW releases.

Message 51 of 107
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38


@JVRiley wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

@CrimpOn wrote:

@kyleb88 wrote:

All this could be fixed by NG just turning off auto updates...Simple as that, no if ands or buts.


This is not an "auto update".  User who go to the web interface or the Orbi "app" get a notice thta new firmware is available.  Everyone who is commenting on the new firmware chose to install it.  (Just as I have chosen to wait until a concensus appears about whether the update is on balance a "good thing" or a "bad thing.")


That's what I was wondering.  After reading all these posts about the latest FW, I was wondering was it pushed (no action by user) or did the user go looking for trouble?

 

 


Whether you meant it to be or not, I find that answer to be the equivalent of IT "victim blaming" and more than a little insulting.  Everyone here is a paid-customer of Netgear, and each has/had their own reasons for upgrading the FW.  In my case, I expected the new FW to address several recurring issues that the patch notes suggested should now be resolved, and it may have but the buggy interface now makes it very difficult to manage the Orbi via either the web interface or the android app.  Netgear should not be having customers act as their QA team for new FW releases.


Your post does makes sense and I agree with most of it.  From years (30+) of dealing with IT / Tech updates both soft and firmware, I continue to believe that once the hardware is working, leave it alone.  Here in this community (NG specific) the FW updates (regardless of age) was pushed auto to all users.  Then there was an upheaval to the point that NG pulled back and now from what I understand, the only FW that is auto pushed are ones with major updates.  The others that you may see when you login to your router is your choice.  This policy can be viewed as a way that NG has expanded its beta testers to all who are wanting to live on the edge.  The choice is yours.

Message 52 of 107
Highlighted
Star

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38

"Looking for trouble", I love it. That's great, I thought like this in 1995 or maybe even 2005. 

Yeah I'd like to fix my router by making it worse with a NG approved patch. Awesome.

What I'd like to know is how long do I have to run on this suspect firmware?

Message 53 of 107
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38


@RDMSYS wrote:

"Looking for trouble", I love it. That's great, I thought like this in 1995 or maybe even 2005. 

Yeah I'd like to fix my router by making it worse with a NG approved patch. Awesome.

What I'd like to know is how long do I have to run on this suspect firmware?


Whether you were looking for trouble, that sounds like what you and others ended up with.  How long you run your current FW is up to you. You can either sit on it or wait for the next real pushed update.  You may try reverting (roll back) the FW.  Good luck.

Message 54 of 107
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38

Oh no not another dodgy firmware update.....

Message 55 of 107
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38

Hi

Just sharing my experience with the latest firmware. No blame please :-)

 

For all the folks who complain that Netgear is not taking customer feedback, I agree with them..

BUT

For at least 1 year now, I was suffering of internet disconnection every 5-10 minutes. Wifi signal was good but nothing happened.

So as each time a new fmw is released, I blindly apply it and pray for the IT God that the problem was fixed.

Applying the firmware gave a strange results. I saw a ORBI & ORBI 2.4 Ghz. I thought that Netgear recognized there was no easy solution to address the wifi disconnection and they created two different networks.

I perform a full reset: paperclip, wait 20 sec and it's done. Log on http:192.168.1.1 and restart the set-up from scratch. (as every firmware...)

But the good news is that I don't have the wifi disconnection anymore !

I have read on this forum that the wifi issue was addressed. I don't know what it means practically but (/sarcastic mode=on) NETGEAR PLEASE DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING ! More than a year that I was waiting for a stable WIFI (/sarcastic mode=off)

Cheers

 

 

Message 56 of 107
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38

Other factor can contribute to internet disconnections. 

ISP modems, ISP service line quality, cabling and configuration of ISP modems are all factors. 

I have not seen any kind of internet disconnections with my RBK 50 series running behind different modems I've tired. 

I would suggest that if you do see this issue again, please post about it and let us trouble shoot the real issue behind this problem to see if we can find out what is the cuase. FW may only be a bandaid or hiding the real issue. 

 

Glad the new FW is working better for you. Please do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. 


@SergeD wrote:

Hi

Just sharing my experience with the latest firmware. No blame please :-)

 

For all the folks who complain that Netgear is not taking customer feedback, I agree with them..

BUT

For at least 1 year now, I was suffering of internet disconnection every 5-10 minutes. Wifi signal was good but nothing happened.

So as each time a new fmw is released, I blindly apply it and pray for the IT God that the problem was fixed.

Applying the firmware gave a strange results. I saw a ORBI & ORBI 2.4 Ghz. I thought that Netgear recognized there was no easy solution to address the wifi disconnection and they created two different networks.

I perform a full reset: paperclip, wait 20 sec and it's done. Log on http:192.168.1.1 and restart the set-up from scratch. (as every firmware...)

But the good news is that I don't have the wifi disconnection anymore !

I have read on this forum that the wifi issue was addressed. I don't know what it means practically but (/sarcastic mode=on) NETGEAR PLEASE DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING ! More than a year that I was waiting for a stable WIFI (/sarcastic mode=off)

Cheers

 

 


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80(Modem Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.16.6(Router Mode)

Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 57 of 107
Highlighted
Guide

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38

I cannot believe some of the people in this thread blaming users for installing a fw update that was readily available on the web console. Guys-- this isn't a little company and it is 2019. Firmware that is released to the public regardless of whether it is auto-pushed or not shouldn't have these bugs. I could be a new user that just purchased and click check for updates and see there is one available never having stepped on this forum for guidance.

Most smaller companies I've worked for would fire QA leads/teams if this kind of stuff got shipped out. Look at other tech/software companies and you typically can enroll in BETA groups to test firmware that is suspect to have bugs. Netgear should be ashamed of themselves for continuing to release FW that isn't ready for the spotlight-- and blaming it on end users is absolutely asinine.

 

 

Message 58 of 107
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38

Not blaming users, were trying to help them get the system working here. I and others are having good experiences since updating FW. I have done a factory reset which I always do. Some have not done a factory reset and have good experiences still. There are many factors that contribute to bad experiences. Were here to work thru them is all. The more information and feedback we get from users helps us help user with bad experiences. 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80(Modem Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.16.6(Router Mode)

Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 59 of 107
Highlighted
Star

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38

I don't understand the "factory reset after each update". Why is that necessary? I have updated my firmware maybe 5-6 times since I installed. And nothing happened. Which I expected fully. WHY would you need to do a factory reset EACH time you apply firmware?

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again, ridiculous.

 

The poor guy above spent 5 hours setting up his network again? I'm not sure it would take me that long but I don't want to have to do it at all. 

 

And I see a lot Netgear isn't that great posts. Well when I was looking at Mesh routers last Janurary they were reccommeded by a lot of people and were a lot of bang for the buch so I went with them.

 

Now I don't really have any issues with my set up. Everything runs great. But in my mind I think that a FW can only make things better.

Maybe i'm naive. 

 

I was miffed on Monday after doing it blindly and getting semi hosed. But seeing all these other issues I guess I shouldn't complain.

 

I won't do that again though. I'll wait for the push.

 

 

 

Message 60 of 107
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38

IT's NOT required, however it's suggested for those who ARE having problems after FW updates. We've seen odd issues, configurations and lingering bad configuratinos which can cause problem as FW gets updated and progresses. Some do not see this. So in the cases of where users are having problems after a FW update, a reset should be performed and set up from scratch to effect a clean configuration of the system. 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80(Modem Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.16.6(Router Mode)

Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 61 of 107
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38


@Hixz wrote:

I cannot believe some of the people in this thread blaming users for installing a fw update that was readily available on the web console. Guys-- this isn't a little company and it is 2019. Firmware that is released to the public regardless of whether it is auto-pushed or not shouldn't have these bugs. I could be a new user that just purchased and click check for updates and see there is one available never having stepped on this forum for guidance.

Most smaller companies I've worked for would fire QA leads/teams if this kind of stuff got shipped out. Look at other tech/software companies and you typically can enroll in BETA groups to test firmware that is suspect to have bugs. Netgear should be ashamed of themselves for continuing to release FW that isn't ready for the spotlight-- and blaming it on end users is absolutely asinine.

 

You may have not visited with our friends over at Linksys.  Most router manufacturers suffer throught the same firmware war.  That is trying to find the perfect firmware for all users.  NOT.  One only has to spend a few days in here to read of the dozen+ ways that people run their systems with double routers, switches, speed test, etc.  This whole FW subject has been beat to death, and my position remains, IF your system works, leave it alone.  Your will gain much more joy in knowing it works than ever performing a self install of the next wiz bang FW.  Good luck.


 

Message 62 of 107
Highlighted
Guide

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38

I've been using Orbi since 2017 and do enjoy Netgear and the equipment. My frustration is that some of these bugs continue to be the same throughout fw releases, such as the device names resetting. By now this should be a part of the regression testing and I've seen it posted on enough sites to know it's an issue for a large majority of users. It isn't a small one off issue with configuration. I can reset my system and add only 1 device and it still has the bug. The QA team is either too small or they aren't testing enough configurations.

Message 63 of 107
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38

I agree. Stuff like this should be of history. 


@Hixz wrote:

I've been using Orbi since 2017 and do enjoy Netgear and the equipment. My frustration is that some of these bugs continue to be the same throughout fw releases, such as the device names resetting. By now this should be a part of the regression testing and I've seen it posted on enough sites to know it's an issue for a large majority of users. It isn't a small one off issue with configuration. I can reset my system and add only 1 device and it still has the bug. The QA team is either too small or they aren't testing enough configurations.


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80(Modem Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.16.6(Router Mode)

Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 64 of 107
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38

If it's a common issue that FW-updates can mess up the system how come you can't just revert to the previous version? I updated when asked since updates usually contain security bugs and other things. Now my router loses internet connection every 30 minutes. And when it does have internet it is super slow on all devices even though the Orbi speed test indicates at least 800 mbit. 

Message 65 of 107
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38

I bought the orbi (base +satellite) in may 2018. It was working like a charm.

in september, there was a fw available and it was installed.

since then, i faced wifi disconnection.

my hous is 12*9 meter. Base is at one site of the house, satellite at the other site of the hours. One concrete wall between.

my internet provider is voo (belgium)

modem technicolor, model tc7210.v

 

i never had issue with device connected by cable to the base. Only wifi issue.

before fw upgrade in Sept 2018: no wifi disconnection

after: every 5-10 minutes wifi signal is full but web pages are not loading, youtube loading interrupt... etc. After a while, it works again.

today I install the new fw, no more issue.

i installed ALL fw between sept 2018 and today and each time (looks best practice but not for ecerybody in this forum...) i performed full reset.

is it an issue for me? Not at all as i only have 2 devices attached to the base and a couple of wifi devices (iphone, ipad..etc)

again, nothing was changed, nothing. No rules, no nat, no static ip that i dont use...etc all default settings are the same.

i can only conclude that the today fw fixed the wifi issues.

cheers

Message 66 of 107
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?


@PhilipGo wrote:

If it's a common issue that FW-updates can mess up the system how come you can't just revert to the previous version? I updated when asked since updates usually contain security bugs and other things. Now my router loses internet connection every 30 minutes. And when it does have internet it is super slow on all devices even though the Orbi speed test indicates at least 800 mbit. 


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80(Modem Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.16.6(Router Mode)

Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 67 of 107
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38

Suggestion to try when troubleshooting WiFi issues. 

 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

 

Glad it's working now for you. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink


@SergeD wrote:

I bought the orbi (base +satellite) in may 2018. It was working like a charm.

in september, there was a fw available and it was installed.

since then, i faced wifi disconnection.

my hous is 12*9 meter. Base is at one site of the house, satellite at the other site of the hours. One concrete wall between.

my internet provider is voo (belgium)

modem technicolor, model tc7210.v

 

i never had issue with device connected by cable to the base. Only wifi issue.

before fw upgrade in Sept 2018: no wifi disconnection

after: every 5-10 minutes wifi signal is full but web pages are not loading, youtube loading interrupt... etc. After a while, it works again.

today I install the new fw, no more issue.

i installed ALL fw between sept 2018 and today and each time (looks best practice but not for ecerybody in this forum...) i performed full reset.

is it an issue for me? Not at all as i only have 2 devices attached to the base and a couple of wifi devices (iphone, ipad..etc)

again, nothing was changed, nothing. No rules, no nat, no static ip that i dont use...etc all default settings are the same.

i can only conclude that the today fw fixed the wifi issues.

cheers


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80(Modem Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.16.6(Router Mode)

Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 68 of 107
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38

Hi Furry, tnx for advises

distance base-satellite :9,5m = a bit more than 30 feet

wifi channel, auto for 2,4 & 5 ghz but there are not too much others wifi networks as the first house should be at 60 feets from both base & sat.

 

Daisy chain is on, al, others setting disable

 

Better to keep the settings as there is no disconnection anymore, right?

Message 69 of 107
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38

Yes. Just suggestions to check for should you see this again. 

Enjoy now. Smiley Wink


@SergeD wrote:

Hi Furry, tnx for advises

distance base-satellite :9,5m = a bit more than 30 feet

wifi channel, auto for 2,4 & 5 ghz but there are not too much others wifi networks as the first house should be at 60 feets from both base & sat.

 

Daisy chain is on, al, others setting disable

 

Better to keep the settings as there is no disconnection anymore, right?


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80(Modem Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.16.6(Router Mode)

Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 70 of 107
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38


@FURRYe38 wrote:

IT's NOT required, however it's suggested for those who ARE having problems after FW updates. We've seen odd issues, configurations and lingering bad configuratinos which can cause problem as FW gets updated and progresses. Some do not see this. So in the cases of where users are having problems after a FW update, a reset should be performed and set up from scratch to effect a clean configuration of the system. 


I agree - I've been EXTREMELY lucky. Bought my Orbi at Cosco for Black Friday 2017 so going on almost 2 years now. I have many Alexa devices and 6 cameras from 3 different companies, several wireless bulbs, hubs, etc.... Total of about 39 devices at peak. I have NEVER had to do a full factory reset and biggest issue with rare firmwares in past was occasional random rebooting or needing to manually reboot to re-establish wireless, but those were rare and far between. Latest upgrade went fine and all devices reconnected, but many started off connecting to the router first and have moved over time to closest satellite. 

Message 71 of 107
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38

Same here, my friends Orbi system I helped setup is still running. Auto udpates and all:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80(Modem Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.16.6(Router Mode)

Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 72 of 107
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38

I'm also having Wifi issues with this firmware. Because of the placement of my Orbi router, it's hard to get to. Can I do the factory reset through the web interface or must I use the paper clip method?

 

Thanks...

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 73 of 107
Highlighted
Sensei

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38

"Factory Reset" required inserting something (like the end of a paperclip) into the tiny "Reset" hole next to the power socket.

No other way to do it.

Sorry.

I love my Orbi.
Message 74 of 107
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Latest Firmware V2.5.0.38

Must this be done on both the router as well as the satellite?

Message 75 of 107
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements