Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Latest Orbi firmware (2.5.1.8) borked my satellites

swellvue
Tutor

Latest Orbi firmware (2.5.1.8) borked my satellites

Orbi updated its firmware to v2.5.1.8 and all of my satellites (rbs50's x 3, and rbs50y's x 2) show as disconnected now... I have tried rebooting and stuff, but this new firmware that got pushed to my rbr50 is total crap and now I have very expensive paper weights.    It does look like all the rbr50's got updated to 2.5.1.8 but the rbr50y's are on 2.3.5.32.    

Also, the web UI says disconnected for the satellites and shows almost no devices connected via wifi, but it does feel like there may be wifi connectivity... 

Does anyone know how to fix this UI problem (and/or actual problem).

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Was the RBSs updated first to the newer FW then the RBR? 

Factoy reset the RBS and the RBR and setup from scratch. Walk thru the setup wizard and skip adding the RBS during the setup wizard. Once the setup wizard is completed, the add 1 satellite at a time. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

I only have 1 RBS and it works. Others as well. 

Message 2 of 5
swellvue
Tutor

The WebUI just did the update... I would have hoped that their system would be smart enough to do it in the correct order....   assuming that it didn't and the RBR updated before the RBS's did, what is the "fix".

Message 3 of 5
tucsontico
Virtuoso

First of all, 2.5.1.8 is not an auto updating firmware. You must manually update your system to 2.5.1.8. If you read the Netgear documents carefully, they tell you to always update the satellites first BEFORE the router. The fix is to update the satellites. 

I believe your problem can easily be solved by manually updating the satellites to 2.5.1.8. After the satellites are showing their firmware version as 2.5.1.8, do factory reset of the satellites. After that, allow the entire system at least 12 hours to "settle" before trying any other troubleshooting should you detect a problem.

Good Luck!

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

As mentioned, please download and manually install the FW to the RBS first then the RBR lastly. 

When autoupdates do happen. I have seen the RBS update first, then the RBR lastly. So I beleive that does work when updating the RBS first the the RBR. 

Once you get v2.5.1.8 on the system, reset and setup from scratch. 

@swellvue wrote:

The WebUI just did the update... I would have hoped that their system would be smart enough to do it in the correct order....   assuming that it didn't and the RBR updated before the RBS's did, what is the "fix".

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7