Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Latest stable Orbi firmware

VerneArase
Apprentice

Latest stable Orbi firmware

I see my Orbi RBK53 has 2.5.0.38, but the firmware page for the RBK53 lists 2.3.5.30 (with a hotfix to 2.3.5.34 for certificates).

I have noticed a lot of wierd goings on with this firmware, such as devices having different names and descriptions, but attributed that wierdness to Armor or Circle.

Should I backlevel my RBK53 to 2.3.5.34?

Is 2.5.0.38 a dead-end subtree that didn't work out?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

You can revert to v34. V34 fixes the expired certificate in v30. v38 broke device naming which NG is aware of. V40 fixed the certificate in v38 however still has the bad device naming problem. Some have said a reset on the RBR fixed it for them. If your wanting device naming and certificate to be functional, try v34. I would factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch after loading it. Use a wired PC to download the FW files for the RBS and RBR. Update the RBS first, then the RBR lastly.  Otherwise v38 and v40 works normally otherwise if your not concerned about certificate or device naming. 

Message 2 of 18
ChuckieCheese
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can revert to v34.

I have older version. Should I upgrade directly to v34 or upgrade to v30 first and then v34? 

Message 3 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What exact FW version do you have? 

Message 4 of 18
ChuckieCheese
Luminary

I will be upgrading to v2.2.1.212 first.

Message 5 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

After you get the RBR at 212, then you can go directly to v34. You can go directly to v34 on the RBS from where it's at currently. 

I would reset the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard after it's fully updated. 

Message 6 of 18
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

The current stable firmware for the RBK53 (RBR50 and RBS50) is v2.3.5.34.  It still has an untrusted https certificate due to the .34 certificate being self-signed instead of signed by a certificate authority.

The v2.5.0.38 and .40 both have major issues with device naming. Armor and/or Circle have nothing to do with the device naming issue, as I am not using them. Armor also has its own device naming that is not shared with the Orbi firmware device naming, so if you are using Armor, then you have to name your devices twice (once in the Orbi firmware and once again in Armor). Armor is from a third party, so the database is not shared with the firmware.  NG pulled v2.5.0.x from autoupdates due to the issues, but many users got auto-updated to v2.5.0.38 without their knowledge or interaction if they were already on a v2.3.x release.

@VerneArase wrote:

I see my Orbi RBK53 has 2.5.0.38, but the firmware page for the RBK53 lists 2.3.5.30 (with a hotfix to 2.3.5.34 for certificates).

I have noticed a lot of wierd goings on with this firmware, such as devices having different names and descriptions, but attributed that wierdness to Armor or Circle.

Should I backlevel my RBK53 to 2.3.5.34?

Is 2.5.0.38 a dead-end subtree that didn't work out?

Message 7 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@ChuckieCheese wrote:

Message 8 of 18
ChuckieCheese
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Any progress on this? 

@ChuckieCheese wrote:

Not yet. Have to wait for the weekend in case something went wrong... 🙂

Message 9 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Idea. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 18
ChuckieCheese
Luminary

@tomschmidt wrote:

NG pulled v2.5.0.x from autoupdates due to the issues, but many users got auto-updated to v2.5.0.38 without their knowledge or interaction

I wish Netgear will provide an option to DISABLE auto-update for this very reason.

Message 11 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

v38 was not a forced auto update. It was given as a notification with in the RBRs FW update web page that there was a update available. It would be up to the user to allow the update or skip it. v38 was not a major but a minor update which NG does not force auto updates on minor FW revisions to users Orbi's. 

Can do a seach here in the forum about some users disabling auto update. Might work for you if you want to try this. 

@ChuckieCheese wrote:

@tomschmidt wrote:

NG pulled v2.5.0.x from autoupdates due to the issues, but many users got auto-updated to v2.5.0.38 without their knowledge or interaction

I wish Netgear will provide an option to DISABLE auto-update for this very reason.

Message 12 of 18
Ragar99
Luminary

@ChuckieCheese wrote:

@tomschmidt wrote:

You are preaching to the choir!   What a train wreck.

Message 13 of 18
VerneArase
Apprentice

Do you know if 2.5.0.38 had any effect on 5G wireless backhaul?

I've gone through a reformat and restore of my Drobo 8D on an iMac from a Synology hooked ethernet ports on the RBS50 and RBR50, and have gotten about 33 MB/sec throughput (though 100 MB/sec if both are hooked to the RBS50's switch ports).

Message 14 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

I didn't see any negative effects on the backhaul, though mine is wired. 

@VerneArase wrote:

Do you know if 2.5.0.38 had any effect on 5G wireless backhaul?

I've gone through a reformat and restore of my Drobo 8D on an iMac from a Synology hooked ethernet ports on the RBS50 and RBR50, and have gotten about 33 MB/sec throughput (though 100 MB/sec if both are hooked to the RBS50's switch ports).

Message 15 of 18
ChuckieCheese
Luminary

One of the reason I still use 2.1.x.x firmware is because I can disable the auto-update via SSH. 

Do you know if for 2.3.5.34 I can still:

1. disable the auto-update for 2.3.5.34

2. have separate SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Can do a seach here in the forum about some users disabling auto update. Might work for you if you want to try this. 

@ChuckieCheese wrote:

@tomschmidt wrote:

Message 16 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

NG only pushes major versions of FW. Any minor versions will be seen in the RBRs web page as being avaiable however won't be pushed. Its' up to users to select upon the minor FW updates if they want to or not. 

@ChuckieCheese wrote:

One of the reason I still use 2.1.x.x firmware is because I can disable the auto-update via SSH. 

Do you know if for 2.3.5.34 I can still:

1. disable the auto-update for 2.3.5.34

2. have separate SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@ChuckieCheese wrote:

@tomschmidt wrote:

Message 17 of 18
VerneArase
Apprentice

Well, of course if you're fortunate enough to have a wired backhaul you'll have the full speed of your wired connection (probably a gigabit).

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7