Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Limited selection of dyndamic dns services

Barney512
Aspirant

Limited selection of dyndamic dns services

Is there going to be a firmware upgrade for selection of dynamic dns services?  There are only 3 available. (no-ip, netgear and dyn).  I already subscribe to another dns service for years. If I had known this, I probably would not have bought it.  You should be able to enter in whatever DDNS service desired.

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Barney512
Aspirant

Re: Limited selection of dyndamic dns services

@ekhalil wrote:

Yes, it's probably the best option to have the router update your DDNS, but you know that you can also use any other device at home (computer, smart phone, smart tablet, any unix-based machine, ...) to update the DDNS with your public IP address, and this way you can use your DDNS address to remotely reach Orbi or any of your home devices.

The only thing where it's mandatory to have DDNS configured in Orbi is for use of VPN towards your home network, and for this you can subscribe to the free Netgear DDNS.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I can use the computer to update the external IP but it would be nice to have the Orbi do it for me.  But it doesn't change very often.   I also have VPN so I guess I will be using the Netgear DDNS. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

Yes, it's probably the best option to have the router update your DDNS, but you know that you can also use any other device at home (computer, smart phone, smart tablet, any unix-based machine, ...) to update the DDNS with your public IP address, and this way you can use your DDNS address to remotely reach Orbi or any of your home devices.

The only thing where it's mandatory to have DDNS configured in Orbi is for use of VPN towards your home network, and for this you can subscribe to the free Netgear DDNS.

Message 2 of 3
Barney512
Aspirant

@ekhalil wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I can use the computer to update the external IP but it would be nice to have the Orbi do it for me.  But it doesn't change very often.   I also have VPN so I guess I will be using the Netgear DDNS. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7