Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Link my Thinker mini to my Yoolax blind

zorro22
Aspirant

Link my Thinker mini to my Yoolax blind

The Thinker mini does not work on 5g on my Iphone how do I switch to 2.4G

Message 1 of 4
alokeprasad
Mentor

Re: Link my Thinker mini to my Yoolax blind

From what I can tell, Thinker mini connects to your home network using 2,4 Ghz WiFi. It does not connect directly to your phone.

A device like this, which does not use 5 Ghz WiFi will always connect to WiFi using 2.4GHz.

Does the device show up in the Orbi app's Device Manager?

Message 2 of 4
zorro22
Aspirant

It shows up and runs for 95 seconds then says alloted time is done. Says to repower the mini and try again. Done that 5 times.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@zorro22 wrote:

The Thinker mini does not work on 5g on my Iphone how do I switch to 2.4G

It is not clear (to me) that Thinker Mini is the appropriate controller for Yoolax motorized blinds.  After reading several descriptions of Yoolax blinds, I get the impression that (a) they come with a remote control similar to a television remote which works with an IR LED, and (b) perhaps some (or all?) come with Zigbee which will connect to many of the Amazon Echo products that include Zigbee (Echo Plus 2nd Gen, Echo Show 2nd Gen, Echo Studio, Echo Show 10, Echo 4th Gen).

People who want automation, but do not want to purchase an Amazon Echo have several choices of "IR controllers" which connect to WiFi so that a smartphone app can tell the controller to blast out the IR signals.  Yoolax sells one ($75).  Several comments mention using one by Broadlink ($45).  I did not see any reviews mentioning Thinker Mini.

So......

My choice would be to buy an Amazon Echo and be done with it..  But, there is always a chance that the Thinker Mini might work.

ALL "Internet of Things" (IoT) smartphone devices have only 2.4G WiFi.  The component is dirt cheap and 2.4G provides all the bandwidth an IoT device will ever need and greater range (distance) than 5G.  Most smartphone apps are capable of dealing with mesh WiFi systems (Google, Eero, Orbi, etc.) and "just work".  When the smartphone app is poorly written, it can get confused when the smartphone is connected at 5G.  In that case, this process has worked for many Orbi users:

• Access the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net) using the admin credentials user "admin" and the Orbi router password (not the WiFi password) I do this on my computer, laptop, or tablet
• Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings
• Uncheck the box "Broadcast SSID on 5G Channel". Click "Apply"
This will cause the Orbi to restart the WiFi and may appear to take a looooong time.
This will not affect any devices which are currently attached to the Orbi at 5G.
• On the smartphone settings, "forget" the Orbi WiFi
• Search for WiFi networks and select the Orbi WiFi
• Enter the WiF password and connect.
Because the Orbi is only broadcasting the SSID on a 2.4G channel, the smartphone will connect at 2.4G.
• At this point, open the IoT device app and go through the steps to configure it.
Once the device is configured, the smartphone app will work no matter how it is connected to WiFi.
(It will even work when "away from home". - so you can really mess with the family!)
• After the device is connected, reverse the steps
Check the box "Broadcast SSID" and "Apply"
On the smartphone "Forget Orbi WiFi"
On the smartphone Search for the Orbi WiFi and connect.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7