Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Link rate incorrect when device connected to Orbi satellite

k3n85
Tutor

Link rate incorrect when device connected to Orbi satellite

Hi everyeone -

Recently while doing some WiFi troubleshooting with the Orbi system, I was noticing some inconsistencies with the Link Rates showing for my devices when connected to the RBW30 Orbi Satellite. For the main Orbi Router I have the RBR40, then just one RBW30 Satellite currently.

For example, when my iPhone is conencted  to the RBR40 Router, the Orbi iOS app shows my "Link Rate" as the expected 866 Mbps (max). However, if the same device switches to the Satellite when I'm in my office, the same device will who a "Link Rate" of "1112616 Mbps". I noticed this first on my phone, but I then noticed that really any device that is connected to the Satellite is showing an incorrect Link Rate within the iOS app.

Not sure if this is an app issue or Satellite/firmware issue.

Note: See attached screenshot with same device connected to both Router (left) and Satellite (right).

Any thoughts? 

Model: RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Link rate incorrect when device connected to Orbi satellite

Ensure the RBWs FW is up to date. Check NGs web page here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBW30.aspx#download

You can manually download and apply FW updates yourself, if needed. 

Try a different device to compare if you can.

IF you try a factory reset on the RBW and readd it to the system and the app still shows same link rate value, I would post about this in the Orbi AP forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

Message 2 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ensure the RBWs FW is up to date. 

What does that mean?

Isn't NG the one that decides if the FW is up to date?

Message 3 of 7
k3n85
Tutor

Tech nerd here, so I check for firmware updates regulary on most of my electronics. Both Router and Satellite are both up to date with their firmware. I've done a reset on the Satellite, re-added it as well as relocated it just to see if there was any other type of glitch. I'm seeing this incorrect Link Rate for all 2.4 / 5 Ghz devices to the Satellite, but all to the Router seem correct. 

I can't really see the "Link Rate" from the Orbi Web Interface, pretty lack luster, so can't really confirm if this is an app or Orbi device issue. 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with NG support about this. Possible app and RBW issue in regards to link rates coming in from the RBW. 

@k3n85 wrote:

Tech nerd here, so I check for firmware updates regulary on most of my electronics. Both Router and Satellite are both up to date with their firmware. I've done a reset on the Satellite, re-added it as well as relocated it just to see if there was any other type of glitch. I'm seeing this incorrect Link Rate for all 2.4 / 5 Ghz devices to the Satellite, but all to the Router seem correct. 

I can't really see the "Link Rate" from the Orbi Web Interface, pretty lack luster, so can't really confirm if this is an app or Orbi device issue. 

Message 5 of 7
SuperPCM781
Guide

I see the same random link rates on my phones Orbi app as well.

The Orbi app has some serious issues. Also not showing the correct signal strength. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this in the Orbi app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

Thank you. 

@SuperPCM781 wrote:

I see the same random link rates on my phones Orbi app as well.

The Orbi app has some serious issues. Also not showing the correct signal strength. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7