Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Local IP connectivity to router apparently dead while WiFi still working

Testyblahblah
Aspirant

Just for further clarity, I am now leaving the satellite switched off. Only router is on.

Same story. Problem devices can ping within the LAN, but not ping the router. For example, the working IP connection on the laptop can ping the phone and the phone can ping the laptop. But, the phone cannot ping or http into the router. And the router terminal cannot ping the phone. But laptop has full connectivity to the router.

And I just forced yet another manual firmware update to the latest just in case that auto had not installed properly. Desperate hope...

Message 26 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

If the manual file FW update and factory reset has not resolved this, please make contact with the forum Moderator. 

@Blanca_O 

@Testyblahblah wrote:

Just for further clarity, I am now leaving the satellite switched off. Only router is on.

Same story. Problem devices can ping within the LAN, but not ping the router. For example, the working IP connection on the laptop can ping the phone and the phone can ping the laptop. But, the phone cannot ping or http into the router. And the router terminal cannot ping the phone. But laptop has full connectivity to the router.

And I just forced yet another manual firmware update to the latest just in case that auto had not installed properly. Desperate hope...

Message 27 of 48
tsig
Luminary

Have you had your devices forget the network, then try to re-add them?

Message 28 of 48
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Testyblahblah wrote:

>> Factory reset done and backed up settings reimported...

Just curious, have you tried testing with the 'Default' config instread of reimported your current configs after a Factory Reset?

If you are really running out of option, give it a shot and see if it makes a difference or not.  Please power cycle your clients/devices before these tests with the Orbit Default config.

At your Orbi telnet terminal, please try these:

1. route (this should show two interfaces: br0 and brwan)

2. ifconfig br0 (check for error)

3. ifconfig brwan (check for error)

4. ping IP address of br0, which should be 192.168.1.1

5. ping IP address of brwan, which is from your ISP

6. traceroute IP address of br0: 192.168.1.1

7. traceroute IP address of brwan

8. nslookup orbilogin.com

9. ping orbilogin.com

Go to a Window 10 box:

1. tracert IP address of br0: 192.168.1.1

2. tracert IP address of brwan

3. ping IP address of br0: 192.168.1.1

4. ping IP address of brwan

5. nslookup orbilogin.com

6. ping orbilogin.com

Last:

- tracert 192.168.1.x (x is the IP address of the working and non-working devices)

Circle back with the results.

Message 29 of 48
Testyblahblah
Aspirant

After your kind counsel, I did indeed do that straight away yesterday. No reply. I imagine NG are in bunker mode....
Message 30 of 48
gr8sho
Virtuoso

If I read the thread correctly, OP doesn’t want to lose the customization to the router by doing a factory reset. I get it. I’m interested in seeing if the connectivity issues can be solved without doing the factory reset.
Message 31 of 48
Testyblahblah
Aspirant

Very sensible idea, thank you, but I had done this at the start just in case, but didn't help.
Message 32 of 48
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Testyblahblah 

The above tests are not meant to resolve the problem.  The intend of the above tests is to find the source of the problem.  If you've already tried those tests, can you let us know which of tests fail or succeed?

Can you upload the outputs and results if possible?

Message 33 of 48
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Yes, I see that now. Strange problems.
I know my ISP uses the 192.168.1.x subnet, so I wouldn’t be able to use the example telnet commands as given. Bringing up the hardware using paper clip reset should work but as I’ve mentioned elsewhere before, have to login to management console to trigger the LAN subnet reassignment routine. NG will move to 10.0.0.x.
Message 34 of 48
Testyblahblah
Aspirant

Good sanity testing fundamentals, thank you, although I have fixed this. I believe that I have revealed what can be used to diagnose the exact problem in this upgrade.

Repeated resets, repeated FW upgrades to the latest all achieved nothing. But, I immediately restored settings everytime, as per sensible guidance here. It should not have been a problem, but it was. This 'restored' the problem that the firmware introduced. This begins to make the problem isolatable by Netgear.

So, I manually created my complex DHCP fixed structure and my SSID details. And it works now. Between devices and Orbi units. I should not have to do this.

This means that something in the configuration structure does not port well between these firmware versions. I presume it has something to do with routing/iptables that this new App Armor thing has poorly implemented, regardless of whether it is enabled(!) (I do and did not have it enabled).

None of this is good news. I have two ruined days. And I would be irrational to trust my Netgear equipment. The scenario if I were travelling would be worse. If you have a NAS, an inward VPN, CCTV, alarms, Ring doorbells, Arlo or are just a modern user, you cannot trust a system or manufacturer that will destroy your network whenever it wants.

I am furious.
Message 35 of 48
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@gr8sho 

192.168.1.1 might be inused by your ISP cable modem if Orbi is in AP mode.  In that case, you can telnet into your Orbi with the IP provided by your ISP router, which should be 192.168.1.x.  If you have both 192.168.1.1 and 10.0.0.x in your networks, then you have a configuration error.

Message 36 of 48
Testyblahblah
Aspirant

Thanks to all in the community. No thanks to Netgear.

It was not clear in my thanks and recent replies who was being thanked. It all jumbled up and didn't make sense for you - I assumed it would quote/tag you, but didn't.
Message 37 of 48
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Testyblahblah 

>> This means that something in the configuration structure does not port well between these firmware versions. 

This is one of the reason that I don't recommend restorting configuration between different firmware versions.  I'm glad you found a working solution.  Congrat!  🙂

Yeah - I feel your pain and frustration, which is why we're all here to help or vent.   Both are welcome!  🙂

Message 38 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

This is one reason why we have users factory reset and setup from scratch, then save off a new back up configuration after the new FW is in place. There are times when introducing new FW on to older FW and older cofigurations seems to break something. Even using older versions of prior FW saved configuration with new versions of FW seems to not work. Maybe due to changes in newer FW that leads to some incompatibilities with older configurations. 

Going foward, if you have now saved off a new configuration to file, keep this for the current version of FW. This is one thing that has haunted NG and users over the years. When the new FW update comes around, I would make it a habit to just bit the bullet and do a reset and setup from scratch again and then save off a new backup to file for each new FW that comes out. The backups seem to work with in each FW version, migration to new FW versions doesn't.

Glad you were able to isolate the problem. 

Message 39 of 48
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Testyblahblah  wrote:

>> Repeated resets, repeated FW upgrades to the latest all achieved nothing. But, I immediately restored settings everytime...

You've just described/provided a good example for the definition of insanity, doing the exact same thing (rinse & repeate) and expect a different outcome as well as how to avoid it.  Others can learn a lot from your experience.

Message 40 of 48
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@SW_ wrote:

192.168.1.1 might be inused by your ISP cable modem if Orbi is in AP mode.  In that case, you can telnet into your Orbi with the IP provided by your ISP router, which should be 192.168.1.x.  If you have both 192.168.1.1 and 10.0.0.x in your networks, then you have a configuration error.

The ISP gateway has its own router built in which uses the 192.168.1.x subnet.  The Orbi is also running in router mode.  See my signature.  

Message 41 of 48
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@Testyblahblah wrote:
Thanks to all in the community. No thanks to Netgear.

It was not clear in my thanks and recent replies who was being thanked. It all jumbled up and didn't make sense for you - I assumed it would quote/tag you, but didn't.

Feel free to kudo the posts you like. 😊

I'm sorry you lost the time, but we all benefit a little. To reinforce what we all learned thru the school of hard knocks.   Not everyone is able to spot problems so easily and problems can be subtle.   I don't want to have reset my router either, but I also don't want to roll the dice and hope it works.

I'm now going to take the additional step of locking down the router.

Message 42 of 48
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@gr8sho 

Yes, you are right.  Your are describing a Bridge (aka IP passthrough) setup, the modem/router acts as a bridge for your Orbi router.

In a Bridge setup, the simplest configuration would be to select a different subnet or the IP passthrough address for the Bridge, i.e., 10.0.0.x or 192.168.2.x.  That way, you can still operate under default Orbi IP subnet and the above tests will work as is.  Otherwise, you have to replace those 192.168.x.x with br0/brwan IP addresses.

Keeping 192.168.1.x subnet for Orbi will make life simpler in the long run because the Orbi can continue to use the default subnet, 192.168.1.x, normally after each reset.  This will save you time since you don't have to change Orbi DHCP setup to pick a new subnet as a result of each Factory Reset.  One less custom configuration to change or worry about.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Message 43 of 48
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Right. The important thing to mention is the Orbi will properly detect this condition and make the change on its own, but only when connecting to the management console via web GUI.
As for why to do this at all, I don’t want another device touching my data traffic. Eventually when Fiber gets here I intend to bypass the gateway altogether.
Message 44 of 48
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Also in the spirit of simplicity and defaults, the host router suffers the same firmware issues and then some, so have to pick poison carefully. That’s why I don’t want to touch that thing any more than I have to.
Message 45 of 48
scofficial
Aspirant

Thanks for the information. It really saved me!!

@Testyblahblah wrote:
Hello,
This morning our routing stopped working. WiFi still functions. I am not a networking amateur and have custom DHCP range and numerous fixed allocations set and so do not want to just reset the router... To emphasise what is below, WiFi is fine, would not need tweaking and I couldn't anyway (web interface down).

Scenario is this:

- Woke up to no external routing after 8 months of happy Orbis
- No other routers on network, cable modem only, also tested with modem off
- Router and Satellite WiFi APs are both connectable from WiFi devices - verified by AP MAC
- Router and Satellite do pair/connect to each other successfully and offer unified LAN as it should e.g. satellite IP pingable when connected to router AP or Satellite AP
- identical behaviour regardless of which WiFi AP/MAC I am connected to e.g. ping responses or lack of responses
- router web interface no response
- router ping no response
- router port scan shows only 20005 open
- tried Telnet on Port 23 just in case I'd left it open by accident... Nothing, as expected, as I was sure it was closed.
- router and satellite restarted several times

Does this make any sense? I had not even logged into the web interface to make any changes for many, many months. Something has seriously gone wrong. Auto updating firmware was on, I think, maybe. Or maybe it was auto version checking on the web panel - don't remember....

Any help very appreciated!

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 46 of 48
scofficial
Aspirant

Thanks for the information. It really helped me!!

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 47 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a new backup config to file after new FW has been loaded and your system is setup. 

@scofficial wrote:

Thanks for the information. It really saved me!!

Message 48 of 48
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 47 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7