Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Local IPv6 on RB750

Ppanfil
Aspirant

Local IPv6 on RB750

I am trying to change my DNS servers on the Orbi RBK752 (AX4200) running V3.2.17.12 to my own, Pi-Hole DNS servers.
I've searched up some things, and apprarently NETGEAR does not allow for local DNS servers to be used, but wanted to check and see if anyone else found a way to set this!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Local IPv6 on RB750

@Ppanfil wrote:

I am trying to change my DNS servers on the Orbi RBK752 (AX4200) running V3.2.17.12 to my own, Pi-Hole DNS servers.
I've searched up some things, and apprarently NETGEAR does not allow for local DNS servers to be used, but wanted to check and see if anyone else found a way to set this!

Of course it does.  I set up my Pi-hole as an experiment. Worked fine. (I did not configure the IPv6 for that test).  Orbi handed out its own IP as part of the DHCP setup, but rather than use the ISP's DNS servers, CloudFlare, Google, etc. I just pointed to the Pi-hole.

Devices ask Orbi, "where is abc.com?" Orbi asks Pi-hole "where is abc.com?" and Pi-hole asks where I pointed it "where is abc.com?" and then they all merrily cache the results (Pi-hole, Orbi, device)

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Please visit and post about this over in the Orbi AX forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

@Ppanfil wrote:

Message 3 of 6
Ppanfil
Aspirant

IPv4 works just fine, but I'm trying to change the IPv6 DNS server which is when I get the issue.
I've reposted this on the Orbi AX forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Local-IPv6-on-RB750/m-p/2048862/highlight/true#M11819
Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

This might be a question for the Pi-hole community.

I noticee when I do "ifconfig" on my Pi-hole, I get two inet6 addresses (maybe one public and one local?)

Neither worked when you put them into the Orbi Advanced Setup, IPv6 entries for DNS?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7