Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Logs are full of DHCP messages

anschmid
Apprentice

Logs are full of DHCP messages

Hi! I have my logs send to my email and usually I get about one a day. But sometimes a weird situation where my logs are filling up with DHCP messages for a particular device and I get an email every two hours.

The DHCP messages look like this:

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.108] to MAC address 40:b3:95:c8:XX:XX, Wednesday, March 01, 2017 06:46:25

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.108] to MAC address 40:b3:95:c8:XX:XX, Wednesday, March 01, 2017 06:46:25

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.108] to MAC address 40:b3:95:c8:XX:XX, Wednesday, March 01, 2017 06:45:53

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.108] to MAC address 40:b3:95:c8:XX:XX, Wednesday, March 01, 2017 06:45:53

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.108] to MAC address 40:b3:95:c8:XX:XX, Wednesday, March 01, 2017 06:45:23

This keeps going on for hours and eventually stops which I assume when the device respond again to the DHCP server or it reached it lease end.

It looks like Orbi DHCP server is trying to look for a device and send out a DHCP request to the MAC address. In this case it's an iPhone which has left the house. I had it before with a Sony TV when it was not switched on.

In general nothing wrong with Orbi's DHCP polling devices if they are still there but why does it need to keep doing this every few seconds for hours if the device doesn't respond?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7
djc6
Luminary

I see the same.  For some reason MAC address for my iphone 6s+ appears hundreds of times a day in the logs - no other device behaves this way, including other iphones in the house.  It seems to have no impact on using the device, but it is strange.

Message 2 of 7
TomMac
Guru

Try streaming on the iphone and see if it makes a diff... I see no problem when normal browsing,... but my log show the same ip type issues...on the ipad during streaming it seems to make the stream to drop a bit and screen freezes for a second.

Message 3 of 7
anschmid
Apprentice

@djc6 wrote:

I see the same.  For some reason MAC address for my iphone 6s+ appears hundreds of times a day in the logs - no other device behaves this way, including other iphones in the house.  It seems to have no impact on using the device, but it is strange.

Interesting! I can confirm this is also a iPhone 6s plus and we have other iPhones in the house who I have not seen doing the same thing.

I see the occasional same message for other devices IP/MAC but this is repeated 2-3 times and that's it. Only this devices keeps on gonig non-stop!

Message 4 of 7
djc6
Luminary

In this case I really think its the phone acting up and not the Orbi.  I think the phone is sending a DHCPDISCOVER packet to broadcast, and what is being logged is the DHCPOFFER response which is always sent via broadcast and contains the L2 MAC address that made the request.  I believe its logging DHCPOFFER response because the way the log messages is phrased - "to MAC address 5c:ad:cf:18:93:7e".

So I'm curious why iPhone 6S+ is constantly doing DHCP, but not curious enough to dig into it more.  Not seeing this with other iPhones (5S and 6S) in the house or any other device.

Either way I've been extremely happy with Orbi.  My internet tier is 300/30 and I can get full speeds on most any device (an old iPad 2) anywhere in house, its been very maintenance free for me since I purchased Orbi in November.

Message 5 of 7
anschmid
Apprentice

I have to correct myself from what I said earlier, it's not the iPhone 6s+ and things getting a bit spooky ...

I checked on the iPhone 6s+ we have the network connection and see it's has a different IP. Hhm I thought that's strange because the Netgear Genie app showed me the iPhone having that IP address. So I do a referesh in the Genie app and yep it updates the iPhone to something else and then shows me the 192.168.1.108 is some unknown device which is kind of greyed out.

Here is where it get's spooky. The Genie app sees that device though it's greyed out. In the GUI if I look under "Attached Devices" there is no device that has the 108 IP address. I cannot ping the device as well but if I do an "arp -a" it shows that device listed (same host the Genie app is running on).

So I am confused? I have somehow a dormant device that doesn't exist really exist on my network that is generating this DHCP messages?

Message 6 of 7
anschmid
Apprentice

Update: After doing a refresh of the of the "Network Map" in the genie app those dormant devices disappeared and the DHCP messages have stopped!

I can only conclude that those DHCP messages have something to do with the network map in the genie app and it's refresh but I have no idea why or how?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7