Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Long distance expansion of system

elcabong
Aspirant

Long distance expansion of system

I have the Orbi RBR50 router with satellite and have no issues with the current system. The satellite unit that came with the base router is at the far East end of our home and serves that area well.

In the opposite direction, at the far West end of our home, we have a pool area about 120 feet from the base router and there is a guest house at the pool as well.

Connectivity with the base unit is marginal in the pool area and dies completely in the guest house. I would like to serve the area and house.

I looked at an external/outside  Orbi satellite unit that would be about 50 feet closer to the pool area and guest house. I have no doubt it would serve the pool area well but am concerned about connectivity in the guest house.  Cost of the external satellite is currently about $200.

I just saw a base unit plus indoor satellite at Costco for less than $130 which is about $15 more than a satellite alone (go figure).

There is a cat 5 cable run to the guest house right now and it is unused.

I was wondering about putting the Costco/Orbi  router in the guest house hard wired to the Orbi router in the main house and using the satellite in a covered area of the guest house to cover the pool area.

Can this be done?

Is there a better solution?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
NomadTech
Guide

If you decide to get the second system and wire to the first, make sure you set it for AP mode so that it will act as an extension of the first.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Short Answer: Yes, this will work.  Put it in Access Point (AP) mode.

Longer answer: Because an Orbi router can ONLY be a "router", this Orbi network will not be "integrated" into the existing Orbi.  It certainly can have the same WiFi name (SSID) and password, but devices will not automatically "hand off" the way they do within an Orbi network.

However, in this particular situation, it might not be a problem.  By the time devices get 120 ft. from the main house, they may decide, "the heck with thar access point, I like THIS one with the better signal.  The reason I hedge is because I have never tried this.  There have been a ton of posts about adding another package (router/satellite) in AP mode, and the concensus is that "it works."

It it really clear that two WiFi networks that are entirely separate (miles apart) can have the same WiFi name and password and a device will happily connect to one whenever it comes in range.  The issue here is that a device will get a worse and worse signal as it gets nearer to the pool, but the signal may not drop far enough.   I think a person could manually turn off WiFi and turn it back on again and it would pick the stronger signal.  But, what a chore!

How large is this guest house?  (and, where does that Cat5 cable terminate?)  One Orbi RBS50 might be able to blast WiFi enough to cover the guest house and pool.

There is also the issue of the "covered area".  Orbi's RBS50Y is actually rated for outdoor.  The other models are not.  So, putting one outside runs a risk.

Message 2 of 4
elcabong
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick and thourough response.

I had read some of the other posts  on this topic (using a second router in the "mesh") and thought that it might work for my needs.

The guest house is about 900 square feet under roof but only 600 square feet is "indoors". The balance is a covered area open on 2 sides.

The pool area is about 3,000 square feet in size.

The cat 5 ends at the guest house and travels the 120 feet from that structure to the router in the house.

If there was a way to put a satellite on a wired connection it would probably solve the handoff situation. But I'm not sure the "handoff" would work in that situation.

As it stands, the signal is acceptable up to the guest house which is about midpoint of the pool's length. By the time you get to the end of the pool or start to enter the guest house,  the signal drops out. The main reason for the whole issue is to get service into the guest house. I'm not as concerned about wireless around the pool area but I think you are right. The router wired in the pool house would probably handle the pool area by itself.

I think I'm going to try it.

Thanks Again.

Message 3 of 4
NomadTech
Guide

If you decide to get the second system and wire to the first, make sure you set it for AP mode so that it will act as an extension of the first.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7