Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Looking for Stable & Reliable WiFi with Increased Speed

pbGuy
Aspirant

Looking for Stable & Reliable WiFi with Increased Speed

I'm considering replacing my current router/switch with either the RBK50 bundle (1 RBR50 + 1 RBS40) or RBK40 bundle (1 RBR40 + 1 RBS40). As I've not yet purchased, here are details which should paint a thorough picture of my current network setup.

I live in a 2-story, 1300 sq. ft. condo, having 650 sq. ft. stacked, rectangular floors with the longest dimension running east to west. 

Given the 1st-floor location (west end) of my 2010 4th generation, AirPort Extreme (AE) router/switch, due to the coax-connect location of my Comcast modem (provisioning LAN 400+ Mbps Down & 12+ Mbps Up speeds), the AE is ethernet connected to my 1st floor, Comcast internet modem (it’s WiFi is Off). ...I anticipate using an Orbi Router in lieu of my AE and additionally placing an Orbi Satellite in my 2d floor office (east end), which is where my 2016 MacBook Pro i7 15 is LAN (and 5 GHz WiFi) connected. My AE is being managed by AirPort Utility, on my MacBook Pro, for the ethernet LAN and WiFi networks. [My MacBook Pro is updated with macOS 10.14.3. I have an iPhone X & iPad Pro (2018), both using iOS 12.1.4.]

My AE employs Router mode DHCP & NAT to assign internal, IP addresses to each device accessing my networks (WiFi & LAN). My AE uses 10.0.1.1 and the remaining Internal IP Range 10.0.1.2 to 10.0.1.200 (managed in the AirPort Utility's Network tab) is used to provision a device's network access through assigning a specific IP to each device as identified by the device's MAC address. Network access is restricted to only those devices where their details (internal IP, MAC, WiFi timed-access control) have been set up using AirPort Utility. 

I have 14 devices accessing my WiFi networks. Some of the WiFi devices are the HomeKit-compatible (4) Smart Outlet Plugs, which are all managed through HomeKit's Home app. (I also use the smart plug manufacturer’s iOS app for initial add to the 2.4 GHz WiFi as well as for subsequent firmware updates.) Additionally, I have an Apple HomePod, located about center of 1st floor, on my WiFi network and is managed using the iOS Home app on my iPhone X. I also have 2 x Apple TVs - both ethernet connect to my LAN, but also on my WiFi.

My AE is providing sufficient WiFi strength to my east-end, 2d floor office; and, the AE is provisioning reliable and stable, WiFi connections for all devices.  So, if I make a change...

1) Which Orbi bundle best suits for improved, WiFi speed and solidly reliable, WiFi coverage?

2) Can I complete the very same, Router mode (DHCP and NAT) WiFi access setup? 

3) While I'm not looking for any voice controls from the Orbi devices, will the Orbi Router allow adding HomeKit compatible devices onto the WiFi networks?

I know I've provided a lot of detail; maybe, more than needed. But, thank you for your assistance.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

@pbGuy wrote:

1) Which Orbi bundle best suits for improved, WiFi speed and solidly reliable, WiFi coverage?

The 50 series has the best connection rate of 1733Mb on 5Ghz while the 40 has 866Mb. 30 feet is recommended in between the base and satellite(s) to begin with depending upon building materials.I have a CRK40 series with just one satellite 40 feet at the opposite end of the 5000sq ft home and have great coverage and performance. 

2) Can I complete the very same, Router mode (DHCP and NAT) WiFi access setup? 

You can. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? IF the modem has a built in router and wifi already,

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options and recommendations to consider,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly. This is preferred.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

3) While I'm not looking for any voice controls from the Orbi devices, will the Orbi Router allow adding HomeKit compatible devices onto the WiFi networks?

Yes, however there has been some users experiencing some problems with HomeKit devices in history. Since newer FW is out, this shouldn't be a problem anymore we hope. Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 42
pbGuy
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. 

1) Best bundle - sounds like the RBK40 is well suited for my environment. ...My follow-up would have to do with difference between the RBK50's AC3000 and the RBK40's AC2200. Can you enlighten?

2) My Comcast moden is one of the Xfinity xFi Advanced Gateways, but I had Comcast Support turn Off its WiFi. So, My AirPort Extreme is solely handling all the WiFi. If/when I replace my AE, I'll not have any changes made to the Xfinity modem. The new Router will handle all WiFi.

3) While your reply to this question, provides some reassurance, I hope to hear from other Orbi users that the newest firmware does provide for stable and reliable connectivity for HomeKit devices. ...HomeKit compatibility is key in making any change, irrespective of lower WiFi speeds from my AE. If the Orbi can't be as reliable as my AE, with HomeKit devices, I'll wait until Orbi can.

Message 3 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

You can look to see what is suited for your environment here and also see the specs of each system:

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/wifi-systems.aspx

Is your modem handling all routing abilities? if so, then you may want the Orbi to run in AP mode. 

Message 4 of 42
ekhalil
Master

@pbGuy wrote:

My main IoT platform is based on Google Home, but I have a number of devices that also support HomeKit and since we all at home have Apple Devices we can see those HomeKit devices in our Home apps on the phones and tablets, the HomeKit devices that I have are: 

- Security Camera

- Flood Light

- Motion sensor

- Apple TV.

Al are working just fine with my Orbi 🙂

Message 5 of 42
pbGuy
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 , thanks for your continued assistance. ...Let me know if I'm not being clear in all my details.

As my AirPort Extreme (AE) is a router/switch and is managing all the Internal IPs for all devices on my Networks (LAN & WiFi), it's handling all device routing. ...It is the AirPort Utility management software (on my MBP) where I actually designate/assign a device's Internal IP (identified by its MAC). So, my Comcast modem is only connecting to my Public IP. [I also have 2 x Netgear 5-port Gigabit switches, which help my AE get some additional, stationary devices on my LAN.]

As my intention is to update my AE since it's a 2010 4th generation model, I plan to replace it with a newer Router (and add a Satellite which will be in AP mode). 

Message 6 of 42
pbGuy
Aspirant

@ekhalil, thanks for your reply.

Hearing you've got some  device's, particularly an Apple TV, is very encouraging. ...I'm becoming more confident about Orbi and getting HomeKit devices on my WiFi.

Message 7 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the AE router is connected too?

Yes the Orbi can replace the AE as the main host router. 

@pbGuy wrote:

@FURRYe38 , thanks for your continued assistance. ...Let me know if I'm not being clear in all my details.

As my AirPort Extreme (AE) is a router/switch and is managing all the Internal IPs for all devices on my Networks (LAN & WiFi), it's handling all device routing. ...It is the AirPort Utility management software (on my MBP) where I actually designate/assign a device's Internal IP (identified by its MAC). So, my Comcast modem is only connecting to my Public IP. [I also have 2 x Netgear 5-port Gigabit switches, which help my AE get some additional, stationary devices on my LAN.]

As my intention is to update my AE since it's a 2010 4th generation model, I plan to replace it with a newer Router (and add a Satellite which will be in AP mode). 

Message 8 of 42
pbGuy
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

xFi Advanced WiFi modem.jpg

Here's a stock, web photo of the Comcast Xfinity xFi WiFi modem; I don't know who actually OEM's xFi.

While this xFi modem does have WiFi network capability, Comcast's tech support turned the xFi's WiFi transmitting Off, at my request, via remote re-configuration; so, the xFi is solely acting as a modem, providing internet connectivity.

I had Comcast do this for 2 reasons:

1) My AirPort Extreme Router/Switch has been reliably handling my internal Routing and WiFi since 2010. (Unless it stops functioning sometime soon or is replaced, I trust it.) Additionally, I didn't want to give up the WiFi management I have through AirPort Utility software on my MBP.

2) The Xfinity xFi modem physcically sits (sort of hidden) immediately behind my bigscreen TV, and I didn't want xFi WiFi signals possibly interfering with my AirPort Extreme's WiFi output since the AE is within 2 ft. of the xFi modem.

My preference is to have the Xfinity xFi modem remain in its current configuration.

Message 9 of 42
pbGuy
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

A bit more research has uncovered the following about Comcast's Xfinity xFi WiFi Gateway modem...  The Part Number (on the modem) reveals this is a DOCSIS 3.1 WiFi Gateway Cable Modem. Doing a web search of the PN reveals it's manufactured by Technicolor CH USA Inc.

As I previously mentioned this modem's WiFi has been turned Off, I use a Mac app (on my MBP) called WiFi Explorer, which allows me to see WiFi networks in my condo neighborhood. This app recognizes modems & routers by their MACs, and my xFi's MAC does not appear on the list. {I take this as confirmation my xFi's WiFi is Off.} I do see lots of nearby xFi modems, showing made by Technicolor, that are broadcasting.

Message 10 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Event though they may have turned OFF the wifi, the modem may still be running in router mode. 

Check this on the Orbi when it's connected. If the Internet IP address is a 192. or 10. something address, then the router on the modem is not disabled. If you see a ##.##.###.### address on the orbi, then the ISP modem is working in modem only mode. 

Is there a model# marked anywhere on the ISP modem? 

@pbGuy wrote:

@FURRYe38 

xFi Advanced WiFi modem.jpg

Here's a stock, web photo of the Comcast Xfinity xFi WiFi modem; I don't know who actually OEM's xFi.

While this xFi modem does have WiFi network capability, Comcast's tech support turned the xFi's WiFi transmitting Off, at my request, via remote re-configuration; so, the xFi is solely acting as a modem, providing internet connectivity.

I had Comcast do this for 2 reasons:

1) My AirPort Extreme Router/Switch has been reliably handling my internal Routing and WiFi since 2010. (Unless it stops functioning sometime soon or is replaced, I trust it.) Additionally, I didn't want to give up the WiFi management I have through AirPort Utility software on my MBP.

2) The Xfinity xFi modem physcically sits (sort of hidden) immediately behind my bigscreen TV, and I didn't want xFi WiFi signals possibly interfering with my AirPort Extreme's WiFi output since the AE is within 2 ft. of the xFi modem.

My preference is to have the Xfinity xFi modem remain in its current configuration.

Message 11 of 42
pbGuy
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

My Public (Internet) IP, showing for the Intenet connection as reported by my AirPort Utility, is a 73.xxx.xxx.xx number. All the devices on my networks are using Internal IPs with 10.x.x.x numbers.

Message 12 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just making sure. 

The Orbi can replace the AE router. It will default to 192.168.1.1 however you can set a different LAN side IP address pool string on the Orib router.. 

Message 13 of 42
pbGuy
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

Just to insure I understand... ...when/if an Orbi Router replaces my AE, the Orbi's default (Router) Internal LAN IP will be 192.168.1.1. Correct?

And then, I could change that 192.168.1.1 to say, 10.0.1.1 which is the LAN IP my AE is currently using. And then, all my network devices would use Internal IPs starting with 10.0.1.2, which is the 1st IP for network devices & the device sequencing start currently being used. Correct?

Since the Orbi defaults to a LAN IP of 192.168.1.1, would the Orbi prefer (meaning, friendlier to subsequent network, device management) staying with the default, initial LAN IP; and then, sequence networked devices beginning with 192.168.1.2?

Message 14 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

@pbGuy wrote:

@FURRYe38 

Just to insure I understand... ...when/if an Orbi Router replaces my AE, the Orbi's default (Router) Internal LAN IP will be 192.168.1.1. Correct? YES

And then, I could change that 192.168.1.1 to say, 10.0.1.1 which is the LAN IP my AE is currently using. And then, all my network devices would use Internal IPs starting with 10.0.1.2, which is the 1st IP for network devices. Correct?

YES. 

Since the Orbi defaults to a LAN IP of 192.168.1.1, would the Orbi prefer (meaning, friendlier to subsequent network, device management) staying with the default, initial LAN IP; and then, sequence networked devices beginning with 192.168.1.2? This is up to you if you want to keep the default IP address Orbi uses or use the 10 IP address scheme. If you have any static IP assigned devcies on your current network using the 10 IP adderss scheme, then this will pose a small problem as you will have to migrate these devices to the 192 address scheme. I tend to stick with what has worked for me for years. So if 10 works for you, by all means you can use it. I also set a small IP address pool as this helps in troubleshooting and also gives room for static IP addressed devices outside of this pool. .100 thru .200 works well for me for a default IP address pool. 

Message 15 of 42
pbGuy
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

Thanks for the reply and confirmations. Your insights are very helpful. Smiley Happy

While I only have about 14 devices on my network (and changing the IP scheme wouldn't be a big task), I most likely would continue my current scheme as they are all static, assigned IPs.

Message 16 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how the Orbi system works for you when you get it.

Good Luck. 

Message 17 of 42
pbGuy
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

Is it possible Netgear (for Orbi) might provide, or may be considering, a desktop management app approach (for macOS as well as Windows desktops) that would replace the current, web-based management approach?

While I understand there are mobile apps (in my case, iOS), I sense mobile apps have limitations for certain, in-depth tasks that cause such changes be effected through a different method, which for Orbi is currently web based. ...Am I possibly misunderstanding how in-depth router/satellite management works for Orbi hardware?

While there may not be immediate plans by Netgear, I'm cursious whether the Orbi community may be prodding Netgear to develop desktop managment software, which would be less subject to web vagaries and would not only effect a more direct, hardware management approach but also provide direct link to being notified and download firmware updates.

Message 18 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Not that I know of. For most desktops an laptops, the web based UI has been and is the best way to configure any router. Most apps now days are for mobile devices and are for quick and easy access to check the system out and to make some changes. Most apps don't offer the same level of making configuration changes like the web based UI does. The app would probably be very large in size if it were to match watch the web UI does. Most mobile apps are mainly for quick and easy initial setup. Any more then that, web UI is what is offered. 

Message 19 of 42
ekhalil
Master

@pbGuy wrote:

Is it possible Netgear (for Orbi) might provide, or may be considering, a desktop management app approach (for macOS as well as Windows desktops) that would replace the current, web-based management approach?

Netgear Genie was Netgear's desktop management app and it's a really good app. According to latest announcement the app should have been discontinued (Orbi support) since end of January this year, but it's still working perfectly well for me. I use it in my work Windows PC and in my home Macbook.

Message 20 of 42
quagmire1
Luminary

I apologize for being late to this thread - and I 'm not exactly sure where to inject this, but:

May I ask why you haven't bought your own modem?  I assume you're paying $13/month rental to Comcast for their gateway. A Netgear CM1100 DOCSIS 3.1 (Comcast approved) is currently $170 from Amazon. It will pay for itself in a little over 13 months, and will future-proof you for some number of years.. And since it doesn't have Wi-Fi, you don't have to have Wi-Fi turned off. (BTW,  the Comcast Gateways have a reputation for mysteriously turning Wi-Fi back on.)

Some quick background about me:

I am a Comcast TV/Phone/Internet customer with 150/5 service, a Netgear C7100V (currently in bridge mode) and an Orbi RBK50. I typically have about 20 devices attached to the Orbi router and satellite, including two iPhones, two iPads, two Ecobee thermostats, and a Philips Hue bridge.  The ecobees and Hue bridge are both HomeKit controllable, and I've had no problems with them. (Being easily amused, I love that saying "Hey Siri, I'm leaving"  turns the thermostats down and puts the Hue controlled lights on 25% brightness.)

Message 21 of 42
pbGuy
Aspirant

@ekhalil 

@ekhalil wrote:

Netgear Genie was Netgear's desktop management app and it's a really good app. According to latest announcement the app should have been discontinued (Orbi support) since end of January this year, but it's still working perfectly well for me. I use it in my work Windows PC and in my home Macbook.

Thank you for the headsup. As I'm currently unfamiliar with Netgear Genie, I'll definitely research it. Since you indicated it should have been disconnected, but your usage verifies it's still working, please update if something changes.

Message 22 of 42
pbGuy
Aspirant

@quagmire1 

Your post poses an excellent question, and one I've thought about for years, but never acted upon. I've always viewed the modem rental, line item as an ISP's means for adding a charge that can be priced at whatever. 

Principally I've never purchased a modem because... I've worried long term ownership might, say in 3 - 5 years, cause falling critically behind a modem's improvement curve as firmware updates might overtime become less effective compared to upgrading to a newer modem. [I have believed a benefit to renting from Comcast has been their trading out, at no charge, an in situ modem for a newer model. The xFi (Arris XB6) Gateway modem replaced - last spring - my previous Arris TM822G VoIP modem which had only been installed about 2 years; simply making this hardware change my internet download speed tripled (no changes to my Comcast bundle). Over the 14 years being their customer, my modems have been upgraded (replaced) at least 4 times with newer models. As result, I've simply felt the annual, modem fee an expense easy to forget knowing upgrades could be made without any issues to my internet connection. ...I willingly admit this may not have been technically sound (or, financially smart) thinking.

I'm glad you mentioned your background as it tells me you know better than I do when it comes to modems and long term effectiveness. So, I ask you to express additional thoughts about my resistance to stepping up to modem ownership. ...Thanks.

Message 23 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

I have the CM1100 modem. Excellent modem. Broadcom based as well. Smiley Wink

@quagmire1 wrote:

I apologize for being late to this thread - and I 'm not exactly sure where to inject this, but:

May I ask why you haven't bought your own modem?  I assume you're paying $13/month rental to Comcast for their gateway. A Netgear CM1100 DOCSIS 3.1 (Comcast approved) is currently $170 from Amazon. It will pay for itself in a little over 13 months, and will future-proof you for some number of years.. And since it doesn't have Wi-Fi, you don't have to have Wi-Fi turned off. (BTW,  the Comcast Gateways have a reputation for mysteriously turning Wi-Fi back on.)

Some quick background about me:

I am a Comcast TV/Phone/Internet customer with 150/5 service, a Netgear C7100V (currently in bridge mode) and an Orbi RBK50. I typically have about 20 devices attached to the Orbi router and satellite, including two iPhones, two iPads, two Ecobee thermostats, and a Philips Hue bridge.  The ecobees and Hue bridge are both HomeKit controllable, and I've had no problems with them. (Being easily amused, I love that saying "Hey Siri, I'm leaving"  turns the thermostats down and puts the Hue controlled lights on 25% brightness.)

Message 24 of 42
pbGuy
Aspirant

@FURRYe38

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I have the CM1100 modem. Excellent modem. Broadcom based as well. Smiley Wink

What's the difference between the CM1100 & CM1000? ...I do see where the CM1100 has 2 x Gigabit Ethernet ports. But, there's no comparative detail about its flash & RAM spec (whereas CM1000 details).

Message 25 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7