Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Looking for Stable & Reliable WiFi with Increased Speed

FURRYe38
Guru

I believe the 1100 has a lighter model chip set from what I was told. Also the 1100 supports WAN Aggregation. The CM1000 does not. Both are DOCSIS3.0/3.1 supporting with 32x8 channels for 1Gb ISP speeds UP and Down. 

Message 26 of 42
pbGuy
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

... Also the 1100 supports WAN Aggregation. The CM1000 does not. ...

I'm not familiar with the term "WAN Aggregation." What is it? (I know the difference between a WAN & LAN.) ...Thanks.

However, it appears the CM1100 is the better comparatively.

Message 27 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation

Review the DataSheets for each model for comparison from there support sites. 

Message 28 of 42
pbGuy
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation

Bear with me on this followup...

Upon initially perusing Wikipedia's explanation, would link (wan) aggregation be only applicable if one's ISP was providing data speeds greater than say, 1 Gigabit?

Message 29 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

It's preferred to have 1Gb minimum which is the max most ISP offer currently since the RJ45 ports on most modems and routers and LAN adapter cards and such only support up to 1Gb max. If some isps are pushing more than 1Gb then yes, the WAN aggregation can take advantage of this higher speeds. Mostly seen in business or enterprise environments. Most home envrionments probably would not have a need for Aggregation. The Aggregation also works on slower ISP speeds as well. 

Message 30 of 42
pbGuy
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

Thanks for your patient explanations; they're very helpful and point toward the Netgear CM1100 being robust enough for long term use.

Message 31 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

The CM1000 is robust as well. 

Good Luck. 

Message 32 of 42
quagmire1
Luminary

@pbGuy wrote:

@quagmire1 

Your post poses an excellent question, and one I've thought about for years, but never acted upon. I've always viewed the modem rental, line item as an ISP's means for adding a charge that can be priced at whatever. 

Principally I've never purchased a modem because... I've worried long term ownership might, say in 3 - 5 years, cause falling critically behind a modem's improvement curve as firmware updates might overtime become less effective compared to upgrading to a newer modem. [I have believed a benefit to renting from Comcast has been their trading out, at no charge, an in situ modem for a newer model. The xFi (Arris XB6) Gateway modem replaced - last spring - my previous Arris TM822G VoIP modem which had only been installed about 2 years; simply making this hardware change my internet download speed tripled (no changes to my Comcast bundle). Over the 14 years being their customer, my modems have been upgraded (replaced) at least 4 times with newer models. As result, I've simply felt the annual, modem fee an expense easy to forget knowing upgrades could be made without any issues to my internet connection. ...I willingly admit this may not have been technically sound (or, financially smart) thinking.

I'm glad you mentioned your background as it tells me you know better than I do when it comes to modems and long term effectiveness. So, I ask you to express additional thoughts about my resistance to stepping up to modem ownership. ...Thanks.

Advantages of buying your own modem:

• First and foremost, cost. You're paying $156/year and getting no equity. Even if you only get two years out of a CM1100 (unlikely), you will still save $142 over renting. And I don't believe the CM1100 will be anywhere near obsolete in two years.
  • Choice - You can pick the best product available, rather than accepting whatever Comcast wants to give you. Many of Comcast's rentals are not well-thought-of.  I recommend the Comcast forum on dslreports.com as a good place to keep up-to-date on what the best choices in modems are for Comcast.

Disadvantages:

The disadvantage that everyone cites about owning your own modem is that it gives Comcast an opportunity to blame your modem if there is any problem with your Internet service. And though I frequently hear that as a concern, I rarely hear about it actually happening.I've had my own modem since 2002 when I bought a Motorola SB4100 and that situation has never happened to me. (I did rent an Arris TM722 from 2012 [when I got a Comcast Triple Play plan] to 2017 - viable eMTAs were not readily available for sale at reasonable prices in that time period).

Message 33 of 42
pbGuy
Aspirant

@quagmire1 

Thank you for your follow-up thoughts, which make total sense. ...You just nudged me into ordering a CM1100. 

Message 34 of 42
quagmire1
Luminary

@pbGuy wrote:

@quagmire1 

Thank you for your follow-up thoughts, which make total sense. ...You just nudged me into ordering a CM1100. 

I'm glad you've decided to buy over rent. 

Just to double-check - you said you used to have a TM822G - you don't need a modem with voice capability, do you?  The CM1100 is Internet only.

Message 35 of 42
pbGuy
Aspirant

@quagmire1 

@quagmire1 wrote:

Just to double-check - you said you used to have a TM822G - ...  The CM1100 is Internet only.

While I wasn't immediately running out to buy a CM1100, I'm glad you followed up. Good catch.

My previous TM822G did have and my current, xFi XB6 does have VoIP jacks. ...There is a wireless telephone plugged into the XB6 modem (it's hidden behind my big screen & why I totally overlooked it), The phone is only there because my Comcast bundle provides a nice discount with VoIP being a part. The benefit is I'm provided with increased internet speed (Up is 400+ Mbps) and 1 TB monthly data cap. I principally stream (Netflix, Prime Video, AcornTV, Music) at the big screen / speakers location where my modem, AirPort Extreme, & TV4K are all located.

I do not use the wireless phone; it's just connected so the modem's VoIP jack is active. Anyway, I'd completely overlooked that VoIP setup on my current modem. ...Thanks for your headsup about the CM1100. 

All this doesn't deter me from buying a CM1100, since I really don't need/use VoIP & an internet-only modem works for me. ...I'll just have to speak with Comcast about reconfiguring my bundle, deleting VoIP, when I'm ready to buy a CM1100 (or, whatever might be newer) and see what package keeps the speed in place, along with current data cap. 

Thank you again. Cheers.

Message 36 of 42
quagmire1
Luminary

@pbGuy wrote:

@quagmire1 

@quagmire1 wrote:

Just to double-check - you said you used to have a TM822G - ...  The CM1100 is Internet only.

While I wasn't immediately running out to buy a CM1100, I'm glad you followed up. Good catch.

My previous TM822G did have and my current, xFi XB6 does have VoIP jacks. ...There is a wireless telephone plugged into the XB6 modem (it's hidden behind my big screen & why I totally overlooked it), The phone is only there because my Comcast bundle provides a nice discount with VoIP being a part. The benefit is I'm provided with increased internet speed (Up is 400+ Mbps) and 1 TB monthly data cap. I principally stream (Netflix, Prime Video, AcornTV, Music) at the big screen / speakers location where my modem, AirPort Extreme, & TV4K are all located.

I do not use the wireless phone; it's just connected so the modem's VoIP jack is active. Anyway, I'd completely overlooked that VoIP setup on my current modem. ...Thanks for your headsup about the CM1100. 

All this doesn't deter me from buying a CM1100, since I really don't need/use VoIP & an internet-only modem works for me. ...I'll just have to speak with Comcast about reconfiguring my bundle, deleting VoIP, when I'm ready to buy a CM1100 (or, whatever might be newer) and see what package keeps the speed in place, along with current data cap. 

Thank you again. Cheers.

Ah, yes, the Triple Play discount.  Back in 2012, when I added phone to my package, they cut my total price by $18. Hard to say no.

If you decide to stay with voice, you can buy the Netgear CM1150V.  It's essentially the same as the CM1100, but adds two (Comcast only) voice lines. $230 at Amazon or Best Buy.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/CM1150V.aspx

Message 37 of 42
pbGuy
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

I'd like to ask about the Orbi SRR60 router, in context of my 2-story, 1300 sf condo (about 650 sf per floor).

My 2010 AirPort Extreme, which is located at west-end of my 1st floor, provides pretty good, WiFi strength to my east-end, 2d floor office where my MacBook Pro is located (connected by LAN & 5 GHz WiFi; priority to LAN). My MBP's 5 GHz WiFi strength status-icon shows 3 (of 3) bars; so, office WiFi coverage is not dramatically diminished in this 2d floor area.

I'm now wondering about replacing my AE with just an Orbi router (no satellite) as a 2d floor satellite, located in my east-end office, might not have enough distance (diagonally around 25+ ft) for WiFi devices to seamlessly & reliably switch from 1st floor WiFi to 2d floor satellite WiFi when in (or, near) my office.

Amazon is the most likely retailer where I'll purchase, and I can't find a sku for a single, Orbi RBR50. Amazon does have a sku for SRR60, which is shown as a 1-pack. Comparitively, the SRR60, albeit having a "Pro" label, matches simarlly with the RBR50 as both are AC3000. [Even though an RBR40 or RBR20 might be options, I prefer the more robust, AC3000 compared to AC2200. Pricing is not a key buying criterion; reliable performance is.] 

Are there fundamental reasons why I should not consider an SRR60? ...Is the SRR60 an older, comparative generation, irrespective of the Pro label?

Message 38 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't know for sure if the SRR would work in conjuction with the RBR system. I presume maybe use it as a wired AP, thus it would not be MESHd in with the RBR MESH. The SRR are the same HW from what I'm told. However the FW has differences. 

IF you have a 50 series system, I would keep to the 50 series add-ons to maintain compatiblity and interoperability as well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01LZG4KPC/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

@pbGuy wrote:

@FURRYe38 

I'd like to ask about the Orbi SRR60 router, in context of my 2-story, 1300 sf condo (about 650 sf per floor).

My 2010 AirPort Extreme, which is located at west-end of my 1st floor, provides pretty good, WiFi strength to my east-end, 2d floor office where my MacBook Pro is located (connected by LAN & 5 GHz WiFi; priority to LAN). My MBP's 5 GHz WiFi strength status-icon shows 3 (of 3) bars; so, office WiFi coverage is not dramatically diminished in this 2d floor area.

I'm now wondering about replacing my AE with just an Orbi router (no satellite) as a 2d floor satellite, located in my east-end office, might not have enough distance (diagonally around 25+ ft) for WiFi devices to seamlessly & reliably switch from 1st floor WiFi to 2d floor satellite WiFi when in (or, near) my office.

Amazon is the most likely retailer where I'll purchase, and I can't find a sku for a single, Orbi RBR50. Amazon does have a sku for SRR60, which is shown as a 1-pack. Comparitively, the SRR60, albeit having a "Pro" label, matches simarlly with the RBR50 as both are AC3000. [Even though an RBR40 or RBR20 might be options, I prefer the more robust, AC3000 compared to AC2200. Pricing is not a key buying criterion; reliable performance is.] 

Are there fundamental reasons why I should not consider an SRR60? ...Is the SRR60 an older, comparative generation, irrespective of the Pro label?

Message 39 of 42
pbGuy
Aspirant

On a different note, I'd like to add...

As one who's considering to purchase (still have not done so as of this post), the ability to temporarily turn Off a WiFi radio would be a key reason for me to follow through purchasing an RBK50.

My 2010 4th generation, AirPort Extreme (AE) managed through AirPort Utility (AU), allows easy, temporary turning Off a WiFi radio. ...This is particularly effective, as has been put forward in Exchange Ideas, regarding IOT 2.4 GHz devices.

Case in point: I have 4 x Koogeek Smart Plugs on my 2.4 GHz WiFi and in Koogeek's set-up instructions, it's specified to temporarily turn Off the 5 GHz to quickly complete the add set-up. When I installed my most recent Koogeek I forgot to temp disconnect my 5 GHz WiFi and as result, the add set-up stalled out. Upon disconnecting my 5 GHz, the add set-up (as well as subsequent, firmware update) was quickly and successfully completed. (And I easily used AU to turn the 5 GHz back On.)

So for those who say 2.4 GHz IOT devices should not see the 5 GHz (so, turning Off the 5 GHz is not necessary), there can be some issues easily overcome / avoided by having the ability to turn Off a WiFi radio. Reading resistance (in other Threads within this Forum) to this implementation, gives me pause about how Netgear approaches support to its router product line.

I would also add, the nature of my above thought also applies to separating the singular SSID into 2 SSIDs - 1 for 2.4 & 1 for 5 GHz WiFi. ...I get the fundamental design of MESH and its signal optimization; but there can be bona fide reasons, for a user wanting to custom name an SSID.

Providing robust customization in router management, should a cornerstone in Netgear's approach to improving, management implementation. Sensing there's a resistance, by Netgear, to these feature requests is like hearing "we do it this way; accept it."

Please forgive the nature of this post... But having perused this Forum since my first post, I've become very aware of 2 capabilities I would lose by changing my current, router installation. Yes, I doubt not I would gain improved, WiFi speed (...a great gain) and the hardware is robust; but I would lose two effective, management and customizing capabilities I currently have. Candidly this knowledge, which is about the RBR50's management - and not a concern about the hardware, has now got me straddled and stuck on the fence.

Message 40 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Your AE and other NON MESH/Smart Connect don't use same implementation as NG Orbi does. Even NG R series routers you can disable the wifi radios. However, Orbi doesn't allow this. Others have said you can in recent version of FW, supposidly disable the 5Ghz SSID from being broadcast, thus making the 2.4Ghz only available to devices. Something you can look for under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. Let us know what you see.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Kindle-Paperwhite-not-found-my-Orbi-RBR40/m-p/1712069/highligh...

The issue of IoT devices not seeing the 5Ghz, the device WILL NOT see it as it does not have the HW abilities to see or use 5Ghz. The main problem with these IoT devices is the Mfrs setup software process with having a dual band setup mobile device on a single SSID that there SW only allows for there software setup to be performed only on 2.4Ghz with the setup mobile device. The Mfr and there software are not taking into account that some routers, NON MESH and MESH with Smart Connect making both frequencies into 1 SSID, doesn't work for there setup software, they are of the frame of mind and thinking that older generation routers had two separate SSIDs for each frequency. Now days, most router mfrs are using the single SSID name. So there software and setup process do not take this into account for newer generation routers. Thus when it comes to Orbi, since the setup device is on 5Ghz since most mobile devices are dual band and like 5Ghz, there setup software doesn't allow the setup device to work across the two frequencies, even though there IoT device see's 2.4Ghz and the setup device is on 5ghz and on the same network, there software fails to allow for this kind of setup configuration. This is not a NG issue. This is a IoT Mfr issue. 

Yes I agree that it would be a more robust system if NG would give users the abiltity to disable either radio, however doing this only negates the fact that IoT Mfr need to better designe there software to work in both cases were one can disable wifi radios or can not. Mfr need to stop passing the buck and just blaming NG or other router mfrs have have this single SSID configuration. Setup software could and should work in either configuration. 

Message 41 of 42
quagmire1
Luminary

@pbGuy , not only are you uncomfortable with the lack of customization possible with the Orbi, but also you are trying to purchase just the base router, without a satellite. It seems pretty clear that you don't want or need an Orbi - or any mesh router.

I recommend you purchase an upper echelon stand-alone 802.11ac router (or 802.11ax, if you want to push the envelope), preferably one that can be flashed to DD-WRT, should you still require greater customization than stock firmware can provide. There are certainly Netgear routers that meet your criteria, as well as many from other major manufacturers.

Message 42 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7