Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Looking for advice before buying Orbi

joapepchi
Follower

Looking for advice before buying Orbi

Current home is 3,000 square feet and we are using an Asus RT-AC3200 router for our home networking.  I am thinking of adding an Orbi system for better coverage and also because we will probably incorporate a home securirty camera system (such as Arlo or Ring).  My questions is how would using a system such as Orbi would help my coverage.  My first concerns is with our Smart TV's and whether or not they will be able to use the 5GHZ bands (with our current router I can set one of the 5GHZ bands to be used soley for the tv's).  Along the same line, if the Orbi Satelittes are located next to the smart TV's and the PS4 can we plug them directly into the satelitte and would that help speeds?  

Message 1 of 3
triple-t
Aspirant

I have a large home and couldn't but Orbi router in central location.  So main router on upper floor in media room and 2 downstairs in opposite corners of house.  Before this I had the Netgear AC5300 X8 and despite being a great gaming router, it couldn't deliver signal to my smart TV's downstairs.  Now I can stream 4K from netflix and 1080p movies from internal server without issues (so far, just setup last night).  

Orbi currently has some problems with Galaxy S8 and that's been the main  hiccup.

TTT

Message 2 of 3

@joapepchi wrote:

My first concerns is with our Smart TV's and whether or not they will be able to use the 5GHZ bands (with our current router I can set one of the 5GHZ bands to be used soley for the tv's).  Along the same line, if the Orbi Satelittes are located next to the smart TV's and the PS4 can we plug them directly into the satelitte and would that help speeds?  

hi , orbi uses a single ssid for both its 2.4 gig and 5 gig transmission , the second 5 gig transmission is used soley for wifi backhaul , so you cant dedicate 5 gig to tv , but if it has 5 gig it will connect to the orbi 5 gig

yes if the orbi router or one of the sats is close enough you can connect to its ethernet , i have s sat setup at my entertainment unit and connect the tv and pvr to its ethernet

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7