Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Looking for buy Netear Orbi RBK50 - few questions

myraid1
Aspirant

Re: Looking for buy Netear Orbi RBK50 - few questions

So one question I have is that I notice that from time to time one of my satellites begins to flash the white light. May happen for a few seconds and then stop.  Is this because it is searching for the router?  Should this be happening?  Some devices seem to be connected to it and functioning fine but was just curious if I should consider moving it somewhere else.

Thanks

Message 26 of 33
webminster
Luminary

Per user manual, a brief pulsing white ring indicates the satellite is rebooting.  Not generally normal.  Is possible you have a firmware issue or a hardware/power issue.

You could verify the reboot by looking at the http://<IP>/debug.htm page where IP is the IP address of your satellite.   See if the uptime of the unit keeps growing, or keeps getting reset indicating it's rebooting and not gaining a lot of uptime.

If you're running the 2.1.2.x firmware versions, you may need to downgrade.   Or call support.

Message 27 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe move the Satellite a bit closer to the main router. 

If it's only happening occasionally, I wouldn't worry too much. Placement is key though. 

@myraid1wrote:

So one question I have is that I notice that from time to time one of my satellites begins to flash the white light. May happen for a few seconds and then stop.  Is this because it is searching for the router?  Should this be happening?  Some devices seem to be connected to it and functioning fine but was just curious if I should consider moving it somewhere else.

Thanks

Message 28 of 33
myraid1
Aspirant

Thanks.  I literally moved it 6 inches from where I originally had it and it is fine.  

No no luck in AP mode thus far but I am sure it has to do with my HP 1810 switch.  Only has two gigabit ports.  Receiving my new one today and will work to get my satellites hard wired at that point.  To be clear when I put the router in AP mode it is fine.   If I keep my satellites wireless al is well.  It is when I hard wire the satellites, the orbi routers colour changes to magenta.

Message 29 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Your switch is a managed switch. There is probably a configuration on the switch that might fix that. I have a HP 24 port switch however it's not a managed swtich. No issues having my Satellite connected for LAN back haul. 

If you have a smaller non mamanged switch, test this out with your Satellite and conencted behind the Orbi router. Should work. 

You'll have to check with HP on what configuration changes will help you get the HP 1810 switch working with your system. 

Message 30 of 33
myraid1
Aspirant

Hello.

Well, I have had my Orbi system for about a month now and so far everything how worked very well.   I have kept it configured in AP mode and wireless backhaul.  Yesterday I updated the firmware and then decided to give the ethernet backhaul a try.   As a reminder, I have a RBR50, RBS50 and a RBS40.  I decided to configure the RBS50 first. Here is what I did after all three had their firmware updated to v2.1.2.18:

I turned off my RBR50 and the two satellites.

• Brought the router back online first.  Note that I have the ethernet cable plugged into the lan port and not the internet port.   
  • Once the router came back online, I turned on the RBS50 with the ethernet cable plugged in.  
    • So far so good.

When I go back and took a look at the status, initially the Connection Type stayed at 5G, but then if went to Wired for a bit and it now gone back to 2.4G and has not moved.

I decided to turn on the other Satellite and the exact same thing happened.  

The whole system is functioning fine so far.

I decided to Telnet into the router to see exactly what the status was by running satelliteinfo -d wifi.  It show the backhaul connection type as 5G.

Any suggestions as to what might be the issue?  Should I try plugging it in a different way?

Please note as well that I have turned off all other Wifi from my cable router.

Thanks.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 31 of 33
myraid1
Aspirant

Edit - My RBS40 connection type is now been set to 'Wired'.   I made a minor change and had it connected directly to my HP switch.  

The challenge I have with my RBS50 is that I can only connect it through structured wiring on my main floor.  I will try another location and/or another cable.

Making progress

Message 32 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad your getting there. Hoping for some newer FW for the 40 series models. 

Keep us posted.

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7