Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Looking to EXTEND Orbi system with ADDITIONAL Access Point using PoE Switch

MadMaxMel
Follower

Looking to EXTEND Orbi system with ADDITIONAL Access Point using PoE Switch

Hi...

I have Netgear Orbi system (RB50 plus 3 x Satilites, plus an Outdoor satellite too), and I’m looking to extend that with specifically another satellite that runs only on PoE (served by my Netgear ProSafe PoE Switch, which is part of my overall network that the Orbi’s are attached to)... but I note the following restrictions to my idea:

A) - I am already at the maximum satellites (according to the specs / documentation of the Orbi), although if that’s the limit because there is only three Ethernet ports on the rear of the RB50 base station, don’t worry, as I’m using a 16 port ProSafe Switch to route all Satelites back to the Base, so only one of those three ports are being used by the Base (it connects to the 16 port switch, which all three satalites are routed back to using Ethernet cable; so dedicated Ethernet hawlback, rather than using the 5Ghz dedicated hawlback).

B) - I want to use PoE to power the (fourth / additional) satellite or AP, because of where is will he located, there is power outlet close by, but I can easily run Ethernet cable to the location... but see above (A), I’ve already reached the theoretical limit of satellites AND even if I hadn’t, said satellite is not PoE, but rather PSU powered...

C) - If A and B are not viable, do I just buy a PoE Access Point and run the same SSID? Won’t that conflict with the Mesh that Orbi has created? OR scan I extend the Orbi’s (mesh) network with an additional PoE device running in some mode?

Advice very welcomed...

Thanks, Melville
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Looking to EXTEND Orbi system with ADDITIONAL Access Point using PoE Switch

Others have reported adding up to 6 satellites. 

Be sure your switch is non managed or if it's managed, be sure to disable ALL IGMP protocols on the managed switch. 

I would not run a separate wireless AP with the Orbi MESH system, could cause wireless problems. If the distance was far enough, maybe you could use a different SSID name and kept both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels far from each other. 

Not sure if Orbi is compatbility friendly with PoE. 

@Christian_R

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7