Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Looking to purchase a RBK50-100AUS

Saturn007
Aspirant

Looking to purchase a RBK50-100AUS

Interested in purchasing a RBK50-100AUS (https://www.amazon.com.au/Tri-Band-High-Performance-Satellite-Extender-RBK50-100AUS/dp/B077CRK886/re...) & still undecided.

One of my concerns is the auto update of firmware though I have since read that this has now been amended to have an option to update or not?

My other issue is the fact that we have the same SSIDs for both 2.4 & 5 & have been reading posts where people are having issues trying to get devices to connect to 2.4. I don't want to start another conversation regarding this as I can see there are enough of those just curious if this a small issue on the whole.

Cheers

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Saturn007 wrote:

My other issue is the fact that we have the same SSIDs for both 2.4 & 5 & have been reading posts where people are having issues trying to get devices to connect to 2.4. I don't want to start another conversation regarding this as I can see there are enough of those just curious if this a small issue on the whole

Just a couple of observations:

• It appears that many of the "mesh" WiFi systems do not allow the user to define separate SSID's for 2.4G and 5G bands.
    Netgear Orbi is not "the only one."  See the recent PC Magazine writeup of "Best Mesh WiFi", Nov 2019.
  • Despite this, people seems to be deploying vast number of Internet of Things (IoT) devices.  I, myself, have installed a number of devices that exclaim, "MUST HAVE 2.4G NETWORK", even clicking "Continue" to ignore their protests.  The technique of temporarily dropping the 5G transmit level to 25% and temporarily not broadcasting the SSID on 5G seems to have solved most of the issues.

"Which mesh WiFi is right for you?"  God only knows.  You "pays your money and takes your choice."

Message 2 of 6
Zoethedog
Guide

Buy anything but an orbi. Two cans and a string will work better.
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

@Saturn007 wrote:

Interested in purchasing a RBK50-100AUS (https://www.amazon.com.au/Tri-Band-High-Performance-Satellite-Extender-RBK50-100AUS/dp/B077CRK886/re...) & still undecided.

One of my concerns is the auto update of firmware though I have since read that this has now been amended to have an option to update or not? NG only auto updates major versions of released FW. NG is also notifying uses of FW updates thru the RBR web page, however it is NOT mandatory that users upgrade FW. Users choice to update. 

My other issue is the fact that we have the same SSIDs for both 2.4 & 5 & have been reading posts where people are having issues trying to get devices to connect to 2.4. I don't want to start another conversation regarding this as I can see there are enough of those just curious if this a small issue on the whole.

The issue with 2.4Ghz devices can easily be solved by using the following process to accomodate the Mfr of the IoT faulty and limiting setup software which is the responsibility of the IoT Mfr:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/orbi-20-cannot-connect-Swann-Camera/m-p/1822441/highlight/true...

Otherwise the Orbi system works well. I enjoy my RBK50 with all the IoTs I have. I also use the same SSID and PW from older routers so all my IoTs don't have a problem connecting with any new router system I put online. 

Message 4 of 6
Saturn007
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies & much appreciated.

I've changed my plans now where having fast roaming or mesh or similar isn't really an issue for me. I need strong wifi signals along with split 2.4/5 & have now purchase a 'Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-LITE Dual-band AC1200' which I will install in an appropiate location.

This will have splt 2.4/5 & if the signal is better than my existing wifi (which I think it will be - NG WNDR3700v2) then I'll turn off the old wifi & leaving routing on, rename the Ubiquiti split wifi's & give them the same passwords. Then further down the line purchase a few more & place them around the house where I have CAT cabling.

Installed a VM & the software for the Ubiquiti & now just wait for the device.

Cheers

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation