Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Looking to purchase an Orbi for home and need a wireless connection to my shop

spearse54
Aspirant

Looking to purchase an Orbi for home and need a wireless connection to my shop

Looking at purchasing the Orbi product as I need a wireless signal to extend to my shop, which is possibly a tad over a hundred feet away from our house.

To give you more information to go on: our house is a 732 square foot cabin with a metal roof.  Although I have not measured the exact distance from my cable modem to line of sight to the shop, I would roughly say it is no more than 125 feet away (definately no more than 150).  The shop has a metal roof but the structure is primarily wood.

I am not wanting to install CAT 6 burial cable if I can absolutely help help it.

So here we are...which Orbi products should I look at getting?

Thank you.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Looking to purchase an Orbi for home and need a wireless connection to my shop

Thats kind of pushing the range of wifi when you're trying to go that far. I'd shoot for the better system because it'll give you a wider backhaul (1700mbps versus 866mbps). That way if you're connection isn't as good/strong, maybe it'll have enough bandwidth to still work. And worst case scenario, if it doesn't work, you can still use the ethernet as backhaul option. 

Just make sure that the units aren't set where the metal roof or other metalic objects, hvac can block the signal. Ideally, both of them placed in a window with line of sight would be the best. 

Message 2 of 5
spearse54
Aspirant

Re: Looking to purchase an Orbi for home and need a wireless connection to my shop

Mainly want to be able to stream music....later YouTube videos.
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

A CAT6A buried cable from the home to the shop would be recommended. Than you can run a Orbi RBS there in wired ethernet mode for signal there from the Orbi RBR thats in the home. 

That distance is too far. 

Message 4 of 5
spearse54
Aspirant

We have another house ( a rental unit) on the property that is in between our house and the shop. The shop is maybe 50 feet from this structure.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7