Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Looking to temporarily disable the the 5GHZ network as to allow my device to connect to the 2.4

sandman512
Apprentice

Looking to temporarily disable the the 5GHZ network as to allow my device to connect to the 2.4 GHZ

So, I have an Orbi mesh system , a RBR50 with 3 satellites. I have a device that can only connect to the 2.4 GHZ band. Is there a way to either temp. turn off the 5ghz until the device connects or force the device to the 2.4 ghz. channel. Thank you!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
sandman512
Apprentice

Re: Looking to temporarily disable the the 5GHZ network as to allow my device to connect to the 2.4

UPDATE:  So,I turned on location services for the WYZE app and everyting worked.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

A device with only a 2.4G radio chip can detect only 2.4G WiFi.  There could be 100 5G WiFi networks, and it cannot detect them. Orbi broadcasts WiFi at 2.4G, so the device should be able to connect to it.

Can you share what this device is?

At what point in the device setup does it fail?

Message 2 of 12
sandman512
Apprentice

So, it's a WYZE cam V3.  I was able to connect on camera to the router in question(its further from the router) and I was able to confirm that it is on the 2.4 GHZ network.  When attempting to connect another WYZE CAM, the error messages happens after I enter the Network name and password; it says cannot locate network.  FWIW, this has appended on TWO brand new Wyze CAMS.  

Message 3 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@sandman512 wrote:

So, it's a WYZE cam V3.  I was able to connect on camera to the router in question(its further from the router) and I was able to confirm that it is on the 2.4 GHZ network.  When attempting to connect another WYZE CAM, the error messages happens after I enter the Network name and password; it says cannot locate network.  FWIW, this has appended on TWO brand new Wyze CAMS.  

I have three Wyze cams connected to my Orbi.  V2, Pan Cam, and V3.  All connected with no problem.  As I recall, Wyze cams work the same way as most security cameras.  The Wyze 'app' creates a QR code and the camera is pointed at the QR code.  That is what the Wyze Cam V3 says to do:

https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050638272-Wyze-Cam-v3-Setup-Guide 

I always do the initial setup of Internet of Things (IoT) devices in the same room as the Orbi router.  I like to be able to open the Orbi web interface and see that the device appears in the Attached Devices table before deploying it somewhere else.

My first thought is a typo in the WiFi SSID/password entry.  Second thought is the location does not have enough WiFi signal. (unlikely)

Message 4 of 12
sandman512
Apprentice

Appreciate the help.  So, I have had two new cameras and BOTH wont connect after I enter the WiFi SSID/password entry.  I called WYZE and they indicated that is was because the device was ONLY recognzing the 5GHZ channel and not the 2.4.  I tripled checked my wifi SSID/password.  

Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

This is SO disappointing.  The Wyze Cam V3 has only a 2.4G radio:

https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051119371-Wyze-Cam-v3-Tech-Specs 

Read it in black and white. 

Connectivity

2.4GHz WiFi

It is (literally) impossible for the Wyze Cam V3 to detect a 5G WiFi signal. Just as it cannot detect AM/FM radio or detect cordless phone signals.  Just not possible.  That tech is either incompetent or misinformed.

I have had mixed results when contacting tech support (not Wyze, but many other companies). Sometimes I call back and get a rep who is better prepared.  (Digression: I once had a problem with my cable TV 'tuning adapter'.  Spectrum rolled a technicial who replaced the tuning adapter with both of the units on his truck.  Neither worked.  He then met another tech and got the two adapters on that truck.  After eight hours, he said, "I dunno. My shift is over" and left.  He had called into Spectrum at least 12 times (gone through the whole phone tree mess and everything).  Before driving to the Spectrum store to swap for a 5th tuning adapter, I called Spectrum customer service.  Got a nice woman who said, "Hold on.  Your account is coded incorrectly. Can you try it again?"  Sure enough, worked fine.

Can you make one more call?

And, can you try to configure it in the same room as the Orbi router?

Message 6 of 12
sandman512
Apprentice

I believed you before you posted that, but thank you!  So, I noticed something of interest.    In my IPHONE, under the WYZE app, the location was turned off.  So, I am going to allow it to use my location when using the APP.  I have a funny feeling that this is going to be in the issue.  Unfortunately I am at work and cannot test my theory.  Your thoughts?  

Message 7 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Might. Certainly worth a dshot.
Message 8 of 12
sandman512
Apprentice

Thanks,  I will update this thread!  Funny thing is that I am typing the exact SSID in.  Now that I enabled the locations services, it will recognize the nearby NETWORK.  Hopefully just enter the password and BINGO!

Message 9 of 12
sandman512
Apprentice

UPDATE:  So,I turned on location services for the WYZE app and everyting worked.  Thanks!

Message 10 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

The Wyze Cam V3 is a GREAT product.  Have no idea why "location services" is what it takes.  I always select "while using the app".

Message 11 of 12
N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

@CrimpOn wrote:

This is SO disappointing.  The Wyze Cam V3 has only a 2.4G radio:

https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051119371-Wyze-Cam-v3-Tech-Specs 

Read it in black and white. 

Connectivity

2.4GHz WiFi

It is (literally) impossible for the Wyze Cam V3 to detect a 5G WiFi signal. Just as it cannot detect AM/FM radio or detect cordless phone signals.  Just not possible.  That tech is either incompetent or misinformed.

So a little FYI - the WYZE Cams don't need the speed 5 GHz networks provide. They need distance. The 2.4 GHz network provides the greatest disatnce so that's the radio they included.

Not including a 5 GHz radio helps keep costs down too. 

I've got a few Wyze Cams myself and only have isseus with them dropping of fthe network at times. The issue isn't them, but the Firmware Netgear threw out there on the routers and satellites.  I know this to be true as they are not the only devices with thiis issue among other things.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7