Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Looking to upgrade from my old RBR50 to which Orbi model?

armoredsaint
Apprentice

Looking to upgrade from my old RBR50 to which Orbi model?

So I've had this 3 satellite system since it was introduced IIRC 5 years ago and got it from Costco, I'm about to upgrade to 1000mbps and I currently have 37 devices connected, we work at home and video conference calls, stream lots of videos and I game occasionally on my PC or my kids xbox x.

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Looking to upgrade from my old RBR50 to which Orbi model?

@armoredsaint wrote:

So I've had this 3 satellite system since it was introduced IIRC 5 years ago and got it from Costco, I'm about to upgrade to 1000mbps and I currently have 37 devices connected, we work at home and video conference calls, stream lots of videos and I game occasionally on my PC or my kids xbox x.

There is no urgent reason to replace the existing system.  I would wait and see what happens.

Those newer systems mainly provide support for newer WiFi technology.  For example

• The RBK763S from Costco for $429.99 adds support for WiFi6 (also called 802.11ax).
  • The RBK843S from Costco for $849.99 features the same added support, but has more 'muscle'
    (faster processor)
  • The RBKRBKE953S from Costco for $1,299 has the same support for WiFi6 and adds support for WiFi6E (WiFi in the 6GHz frequency band) plus the ability to create a separate WiFi network for Internet of Things (IoT) devices.  (Customers seem eager to do this. I find it puzzling. But, "to each his own.") This package also includes a 2.5GB LAN port on the router and each satellite so that communication between Orbi units can be blazing fast.

So, if you have zero devices that are compatible with WiFi6 or WiFi6E, then you gain zero benefit from these features.

If you cannot conveniently connect the Orbi units with Ethernet cable, then that 2.5G capability is likewise of no benefit.  My guess is that 90% of your existing devices are not capable of using 802.11ax. I you have one smart phone or one laptop that claims to support WiFi6, how much does that gain you?

It is a smart move to purchase from Costco because of their generous return and warranty extension policies.

If you skim the Orbi AX product forum, you will notice a number of posts describing "issues" with these AX models.  (Like you, I have the original 50 series Orbi, so I have no personal experience with the newer systems.)

Message 2 of 4
ekhalil
Master

Hi,

I agree with @CrimpOn that you don't have an urgent need to upgrade, unless you want to expand the system with new satellites and can't find the compatible satellites in the market. Your existing system should be able to handle your upgarde to 1000mpbs.

I'm using both the RBK50 series (1 router and 8 satellites) and the RBK850/750 series (1 router and 4 satellites) in 2 different houses.

Apart from supporting WIFI 6, the RBK850/750 nodes are much faster in powering up, restarts, configuration,... since they have much powerful processors and I see this as a major advantage of the new devices. It takes seconds for the RBR850 router to power up compared with minutes in the RBR50 as an example.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@ekhalil wrote:

It takes seconds for the RBR850 router to power up compared with minutes in the RBR50 as an example.

I had not realized there was an obvious difference in the boot process.  Interesting.....

However, my router remains powered up for (literally) months at a time and I regularly go weeks without doing any configuration changes that would prompt even a WiFi restart.

Given the chaos surrounding 750/850/960 firmware, I'm relieved not to own any devices capable of WiFi6 or WiFi6E.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7