Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Loose speed on LAN Connection

masterloggie
Tutor

Loose speed on LAN Connection

I have an Arris CM8200 Modem and loose speed on the ethernet connections.  Straight off the modem is 477 Mbps but off the Orbi it is 111 Mbps.  The wifi off the Orbi is 510 Mpbs. Help to get the ethernet speed up.

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Loose speed on LAN Connection

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain

Are you speed testing at the RBR or RBS? 

Try a different wired PC to compare. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update along with powering OFF the ISP Modem for 1 minute then back ON?

Message 2 of 9
masterloggie
Tutor

Thanks for the response.  I have no problem with the WiFi connections. I am 6 feet from the the Orbi with my ethernet connection and no wifi products are being used during the test using ethernet cable.  It is the hard wire ethernet that has the slow speed.  I have tried a different ehternet cable and get the same results.  Ethernet out of the Orbi is significantly slower than the WiFi.  Again... not concerned withe the WiFi speeds. Size of house has nothing to do with this problem.

Firmware Version   V2.3.5.30
Message 3 of 9
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Is your network cable CAT5e or CAT6?  Is whatever wired device you have connected to measure the speed capable of 1Gb/s speed?  Note older devices may only have 10/100Mb/s speed.  Login to the routers web interface and click Advanced tab and then click "Show Statistics" and make sure the LAN connection shows 1000M/Full in the Status column.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 9
masterloggie
Tutor

WAN    1000M/Full

LAN 1   1000M/ull

LAN 2   Link Down

LAN 3   100MFull

Message 5 of 9
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

So is LAN 3 port the one that is only giving you 100Mb/s?  If so, then make sure your device and cable are both gigabit capable.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 6 of 9
masterloggie
Tutor

My Desktop is capable Gigabyte Z390 Designare and a Cat6 cable from the computer to the Orbi.

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats connected at Port #3? 

Disconnect this device then run your speed test again, might reboot the RBR to be sure. 

Message 8 of 9
masterloggie
Tutor

An old computer is on LAN3.  I disconnected it and ran a Speedtest and no difference.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7