Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lose connectivity when connected to satellite

TJ_201
Tutor

Lose connectivity when connected to satellite

I recently have been losing connectivity when my devivices connect the satellite on my network.  I only have one sateliate hub.  I've tried restarting the satellite/router, modem, rebuilt the network connection.  Any thoughts on what's going on?  

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
TJ_201
Tutor

Re: Lose connectivity when connected to satellite

Well, things 'seem' to be normal.  Appreicate your help.  Not entirely sure what fixed things, but suspect updating the network adapter was a major contribution. The QoS on the adapter does not seem to affect things.  So hopefully things are back to normal.  Thank you for helping me trouble shoot things. 

Another possibility was the 2nd moniter I had plugged in?  After unplugging/powering the 2nd monitor, I noticed a dramatic impovement.  I moved the power adapter for this monitor away and plugged the HDMI back in and things are ok..??

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What all are you using? 

Orbi router model and firmware:

you said only 1 satellite. Is that the RBS50Y you listed?

What firmware is on it? 

How far from the router is the satellite? 

What's between the router and satellite? (material)

Modem you're using? 

You put "your losing connectivity". Define that more. Are you getting a "connected but no internet" notice, is wireless disconnecting, what exactly is happening? 

How frequently is it happening? 

If you log into the satellite, it should show you the status of the backhaul in terms of connection. What does that show? 

Message 2 of 16
TJ_201
Tutor

What all are you using?

Orbi RBS50 and it's one satellite that came with the original router

Orbi router model and firmware:

you said only 1 satellite. Is that the RBS50Y you listed? Yes

What firmware is on it?

How far from the router is the satellite?

~20 feet (not far)

What's between the router and satellite? (material)

Two rooms away.  Two dry-walls

Modem you're using?

Arris Tm822

You put "your losing connectivity". Define that more. Are you getting a "connected but no internet" notice, is wireless disconnecting, what exactly is happening?

Computer can "see" the connection, but when trying to connect to the interet/load webpages I get a loss of connectivity error.  When I turn off the satellite, then I have seemless connectivity. 

How frequently is it happening?

100% time when connected to the satellite. 

If you log into the satellite, it should show you the status of the backhaul in terms of connection. What does that show?

I'm going to turn the satelitte back on and look, but in the App, the connect is green/good.  I'll see what the webinterface says.  Where should I look for this information to give you a better answer? 

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

"How far from the router is the satellite?

~20 feet (not far)" 

This is too close. 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 4 of 16
TJ_201
Tutor

"This is too close. 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router"

Well, the orbi satellite is blue...so connection seems ok?

Message 5 of 16
TJ_201
Tutor

I checked the backhall status, and says it is "good"

Message 6 of 16
TJ_201
Tutor

My PC just lost connection again after re-powering the satelite.  However, I notice that my macbook can stay connected to the internet when paired to the satellite. 

Seems like a network confieration issues with my PC.  Any suggestions?  I've never had this issue before today, but seems like something is off with my network confirgation when it connects to the satellite...wow, this is frustrating!!!

Message 7 of 16
plemans
Guru

so the issue is only with 1 device? What wireless is that device using? (wireless card in it)

Message 8 of 16
TJ_201
Tutor

killer(R) wireless AC 1550i wireless nework adapter (9560NGW) 160Mhz

Message 9 of 16
plemans
Guru

have you tried updating the driver on the killer wireless card? 

Which driver are you on? 

Which version of windows are you on? I've seen a couple posts on here that the problem was related to windows. 

Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Does this adapter card have any kind of QoS settings? Seen odd issues with these Killer cards before in the past. 

20 feet is too close. There is a wifi over lap that if too close can cause problems. Try 30 feet with the RBS. 

@TJ_201 wrote:

killer(R) wireless AC 1550i wireless nework adapter (9560NGW) 160Mhz

Message 11 of 16
TJ_201
Tutor

yeah, I'll try updating the adapter drivers.  Good call...

Message 12 of 16
TJ_201
Tutor

Does this adapter card have any kind of QoS settings? Seen odd issues with these Killer cards before in the past.

It does hae a "Killer Prioritization Engine".  I turned this off, would you recommend turning this off?

20 feet is too close. There is a wifi over lap that if too close can cause problems. Try 30 feet with the RBS.

Ok, moved the router and satellite further away from eachother

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the adapter with that feature disabled. If you don't notice any differences then try it with it enabled. After you have updated the adapters driver. 

Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 16
TJ_201
Tutor

Well, things 'seem' to be normal.  Appreicate your help.  Not entirely sure what fixed things, but suspect updating the network adapter was a major contribution. The QoS on the adapter does not seem to affect things.  So hopefully things are back to normal.  Thank you for helping me trouble shoot things. 

Another possibility was the 2nd moniter I had plugged in?  After unplugging/powering the 2nd monitor, I noticed a dramatic impovement.  I moved the power adapter for this monitor away and plugged the HDMI back in and things are ok..??

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Kewl. Mark your thread as solved so to let others know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7