Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Losing Internet Connection Predictably Every 30 Minute

pkdowning
Aspirant

Losing Internet Connection Predictably Every 30 Minute

Hello,

I have enjoyed my Netgear Orbi setup for the past several months without any problems. A couple of weeks ago, however, I started to get intermittent drop outs with my internet. I have the RBR40 router with a single satellite in about a 4000 sq ft home and currently on firmware 2.3.5.30. I believe there may be a temporal association to my dropouts and updating my firmware. Like clockwork, my internet will drop on the :08 and :38 of every hour for a couple of minutes and then restart. I have already contacted my ISP on several occassions who have verified their service is working.

Has anyone else had these problems?

Is there a way I can downgrade to a previous firmware version to see if that is the root cause?

Thanks in advance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21
pkdowning
Aspirant

What's even more interesting is it seems to be only affecting my Apple devices (iphones, ipads, Apple TV, iMacs).

Message 2 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Could you do a small favor and look at the router "DHCP Lease".  i.e. on the Orbi web interface, click on the Advanced Tab:

Advanced.PNG

And then clock on "Connection Status"

Lease.PNG

What does your Orbi show for the Lease Obtained and Lease Expires?

Message 3 of 21
pkdowning
Aspirant

Thanks for the response:

It says

Lease obtained: 1 hour

Lease expires: 36 minutes

Message 4 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

A one hour DHCP lease means the Orbi will ask to renew in 30 minutes. What a coincidence that there is a problem every 30 minutes. My DHCP lease from Spectrum is 24 hours.
Message 5 of 21
pkdowning
Aspirant

Any ways of changing those settings? Is that the problem?

Another question, why would it be occurring on only certain devices? During the "downtime" on my Apple devices, my sonos music is playing without losing connection.

Message 6 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

I believe the internet service provider sets this. I would call them and ask "why?"

Message 7 of 21
pkdowning
Aspirant

What would have changed a couple of weeks ago for this to start happening?
Message 8 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

DHCP leases come from the service provider. I would call their support line and ask what's up.
Message 9 of 21
plemans
Guru

What modem are you using? (model)

Message 10 of 21
pkdowning
Aspirant

It’s a POe box from Vivint Wireless
Message 11 of 21
plemans
Guru

That didn't really help.  Its like asking for which comcast modem and being told "its a modem from comcast".  There's many different models and it could be that the isp is setting those times through that device and not the orbi causing it.  I'd recommend calling them for assistance with their box. 

Message 12 of 21
pkdowning
Aspirant

Sorry about that.

Looking at the back of the untit it says:

Model name: PSE802G

Message 13 of 21
plemans
Guru

Thats literally a power over ethernet injector. Its not a modem/router/access device. Something else is picking up the wireless signal from vivant and acting as modem. I'd recommend checking with them as their equipment could be causing the issue. 

Message 14 of 21
pkdowning
Aspirant

It must be the satellite on the roof that is serving as the modem. I have called my ISP provider several times over the past two weeks and they are convinced their equipment is working properly.
Message 15 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, my.  Google search for PSE802G turns up lots of PoE injectors, but nothing from Vivint.  What we are looking for is the equipment provided by the internet supplier (cable company? DSL line?  fiber box?) that is connected to the WAN (Yellow) port on the Orbi.

Which company provides internet service?

Most of us take the "easy way out" and place our WiFi router very close to the service provider equipment because it is such a chore to run an ethernet cable to someplace else in the house.  In fact, that's why I purchased Orbi to begin with.  My cable company modem was in a far corner of the house and my WiFi signal did not cover the entire house.  With Orbi's wireless backhaul channel, I was able to put the new Orbi WiFi in the same place as my old WiFi and put the satellite about 30ft. away to cover the rest of the house.

Message 16 of 21
pkdowning
Aspirant

Vivint is my ISP. The PoE injector box is plugged directly into the Orbi and the PoE injector is hooked up via Ethernet cable to a satellite on my roof.
Message 17 of 21
plemans
Guru

have you tried going through vivint's internet support site? they have articles for setup/optimization/etc.  Not sure if this will be applicable but its worth taking a look at. Did vivint give you a router when they setup your internet initially? 

https://support.vivint.com/s/topic/0TO1L000000pov2WAA/vivint-internet

Message 18 of 21
pkdowning
Aspirant

They never gave me a router to begin with but, because of all of the troubles I have been having, have offered to send me a router to see if the connectivity is due to their service or the Orbi. At this point, I may just take them up on their offer or pick one up from Costco.
Message 19 of 21
plemans
Guru

I would wait and see how their's performs. Its probablys setup for their service. They have some device managing the transistion from wireless signal they're broadcasting to sending it to your orbi. Any chance of accessing it? 

Message 20 of 21
ekhalil
Master

I think this is the known ISP lease time issue. Somehow Orbi looses the ISP renewal time.

Please test the following and see if that helps. This will make Orbi renew the lease time more frequently:

• From browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address or http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm
  • Enter admin as user name and your router’s management password
  • Tick "Enable Telnet" option
  • Use Telnet from a computer attached to Orbi to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 (or use your Orbi address) and enter admin and the same password as above
  • Enter the following commands:
    • root@RBR50:/# config get wan_lease    — Should give you --> 86400
    • root@RBR50:/# config set wan_lease=360
    • root@RBR50:/# config commit

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7