Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Losing Wireless Connectivity

Baywatch
Guide

Losing Wireless Connectivity

I have an Amazon Echo Dot. It has worked perfectly here for 6 months on my old wifi system. I upgraded to Orbi AC3000. The Echo Dot connects and works workd fine for a short period of time. Later I talk to it and get the Echo Dot replie "I am having trouble understanding right now" ... which I beleive is their cryptic way of saying Echo Dot lost the interent connection. So I unplug Echo Dot and it resets and all is good again for a while. I can't figure out what the issue is. None of my other devices including an Echo Show seem to have an issue. I took the Echo Dot to a friends house and we initialed and set it up there ... worked perfect for days. Brought it home, re set it up here and the same problem exists. Anyone have any idea why it keeps getting lost?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 15
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Losing Wireless Connectivity

Make sure your Orbi has been updated to the latest firmware: V2.0.0.74.  There were many wireless improvements & fixes made.

Have you had any wireless issues with other clients?  How far away is your Echo Dot far away from the Orbi or one of its satellites?  Was your previous wifi system 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?  5Ghz gives greater speed but has shorter range.  Unfortunately with the Orbi the SSID is the same with both bands so it's difficult to force the Echo Dot to connect via 2.4Ghz.

Message 2 of 15
Baywatch
Guide

Previous wifi was dual - but I forced it to the 2.4G. Orbi Firmware is the latest. No issues with other clients that I am aware of ... as I said, even my Echo Show works flawlessly. When I Login to Orbi I see two Amazon devices and both have an icon that suggest connected to 5GHz. I have tried the Echo DOT in multiple locations as close as 5' from the satellite. I have tried close to the Router as I didn't really want it near there ... but I can try.

Message 3 of 15
Mikey94025
Hero

OK, if the Echo Dot is the only device having issues then just confirming -- Did you go through the wireless setup again after installing your Orbi?

Some customers do not, assuming that the same SSID as their old equipment will work unchanged.  Though you mentioned using your Echo Dot at other locations so I assume you have gone through the wireless setup multiple times since installing your Orbi.

Message 4 of 15
Baywatch
Guide

Yes ... Echo Dot has been removed from account, factory reset, and reinstalled since Orbi. It does work ... just only for an hour or so ... maybe something to do with lease refresh? Any way to force Orbi to connect on 2.4G instead of 5G.

Message 5 of 15
Baywatch
Guide

I can't beleive I am only one having this issue ...Echo Dot worked fine before, and still works on my buddies Linksys Velop wifi ... so I am pretty sure this is an Orbi issue !

Hopefully another update will come and it will magically work again.

I'd like to see the option to be able to force an individual device connection to 2.4 or 5 GHz

Message 6 of 15
Gabeloooooo
Guide

I have the exact same issue with Chromecasts / Google Home. They can get into a no net mode and the only fix is to unplug/replug them, then they work for a couple of hours.

My terrible solutions so far are:

- Ethernet adapters for chromecasts

- Use my old router as a wifi AP which I connect the casts/home to. That works 100% but defeats the whole point or Orbi.

Message 7 of 15
Baywatch
Guide

Sorry to hear you are having problems also ... but glad I am not alone.

I have a Google Chromecast Ultra and have not had any issues with Orbi.

But it does sound like we are having a similar problem ... I think this really is an Orbi issue ... some subtle bug that in very specific situations.

Message 8 of 15
Gabeloooooo
Guide

Where are your chromecasts, and where is the echo?

I find the issues happen in the zone between base and satellite. If they are real close to one or the other (never switching), then fewer issues.

Message 9 of 15
Baywatch
Guide

Chromecast is near the Router (I am using in AP mode).

I have tried the Echo Dot in many places, even right beside the Router, and still Network is lost in after some time (after a few hours ... not exactly sure as I don't check it repeatedly)

Message 10 of 15
Gabeloooooo
Guide

There is a post in this forum where they say how to separate 5G and 2.4G on the Orbi. Although it defeats the purpose of Orbi, have you tried it?

Message 11 of 15
Baywatch
Guide

No ... I am not going to make serious changes based on an Echo Dot ... I may just quit using it if I have to  and get a Google Home  instead ...

Message 12 of 15
Baywatch
Guide

Yesterday I powered up the Echo Dot right beside the Satellite ... a day laterit is still working. Orbi says it is connected to the Router ... strange since it is right beside the Sat. Orbi status says that it is connected 2.4G ... probably what fixed the problem. Not sure how this happened ... just glad it is working. Next step is move the Echo Dot back to where I really want it located.

Strange that the Orbi Status also shows Sat connected via 2.4G ... not sure if it always said that, but I thought it didn't teypically use the 2.4G link.

Message 13 of 15
coldtech
Aspirant

I'm having the same issues with my two Echo Dot devices. Before Orbi, they worked perfectly for the whole day without interruption.

And I agree that it would be a very useful feature to force certain devices to certain bands (2G/5G) or even to certain satellites if they are in equal distance between two Orbi devices.

Can somebody give me a clue where to look for this workaround on separating the 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi on the Orbi? I'm willing to give this a shot.

Message 14 of 15
coldtech
Aspirant

Nevermind, found it: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

And it seems to have helped in my case - I'm maintaining a stable connection of both my Echo Dots for several hours now.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7