Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lots of bufferings when watching TiVo recordings or live shows

va3lim
Aspirant

Lots of bufferings when watching TiVo recordings or live shows

Here’s my setup: I’ve a Orbi AC3000, both the RBR50 & RBS50 are connected to my TiVo modem with CAT-6 cable. The TiVo modem has a router feature which has been disabled. All devices have latest firmware. The Orbi router & satellite are about 15 ft apart, with almost line of sight. The RBR50 is side by side with the TiVo modem.

Here’s my problem: whenever I watch TiVo live shows or recordings from my iPhone XS Max or iPad, there are lots of bufferings, the video keeps pausing. Any idea how to fix it? Thanks.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Lots of bufferings when watching TiVo recordings or live shows

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA2 and AES only.

Try enabling the following and see: Beamforming and MIMO. 

Disable Fast Roaming and IPv6. 

Message 2 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

This is the first I have heard of a "TiVo modem."  The original TiVo boxes came with a dial-up modem to connect to a phone line, but this was before internet access was common.  (I believe modern TiVo's no longer include one.)

Could you be more specific about exactly what product the router and satellite are connected to and who your internet provider is?

Your iPhone and iPad are connected to the Orbi and have a strong WiFi signal and you are using the TiVo app?

Thanks

Message 3 of 17
va3lim
Aspirant

My model of my TiVo modem/router is Technicolor DPC3848VM Docsis 3.0 Gateway. I’ve the Netgear Orbi AC3000, it has a router RBR50 & a satellite RBS50, both of them are connected to the back of DPC3848VM. Currently, the DHCP & WiFi functions of DPC3848VM have been disabled. My internet provider is Cogeco and I’m using their “Cogeco TiVo” app on my iPhone & iPad. Yes, the WiFi signal from Orbi is extremely strong (maximum bars). My house is only 2000 sq ft. The buffering issue only happened when streaming videos from TiVo & Plex. Prior to my purchase of Netgear Orbi, I do not have any buffering issues with DPC3848VM. The only reason why I purchased the Netgear Orbi is because the DPC3848VM can’t cover my whole house, some areas have weak WiFi signal. With Netgear Orbi, it covers my whole house with strong WiFi signal, but it’s not able to stream 1080p videos smoothly. Btw, I’ve about 40 devices connected to the Orbi.
Message 4 of 17
va3lim
Aspirant

All channels are currently set to Auto and security method is WPA2-PSK [AES].

The distance between RBR50 router & RBS50 satellite is about 15 ft apart.

Currently, daisy-chain topology & IPv6 are disabled. Beamforming, MU-MIMO, fast roaming are enabled.

I’m going to try disable beamforming, MU-MIMO, and fast roaming. Thanks.
Message 5 of 17
va3lim
Aspirant

All channels are currently set to Auto and security method is WPA2-PSK. I don’t think WPA2-AES is available.

I live in a subdivision, so yes, I’ve neighbors on my left, right, and back.

Currently, daisy-chain topology & IPv6 are disabled. Beamforming, MU-MIMO, fast roaming are enabled.

I’ll try your suggestion to disable beamforming. I’ll also disable UPnP. Thanks.

Message 6 of 17
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Also move your satellite. 15' is pretty close. About twice that or a bit more is optimum without major obstruction.

Message 7 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

I forgot to ask which model of TiVo and where it is connected.

I'm also a bit confused about how the Technicolor DPC3848VM modem/router is configured. Google search turned up a reference that when this device is in bridged mode, only a single ethernet port is active.  (The modem/router that I have from Spectrum is certainly that way.  It has four ethernet ports on the back and when I turned off the router functions, only one ethernet port is active.)

When you look at the Orbi "Attached Devices", where does it say your iPhone/iPad and TiVo are attached (router, satellite, or wired)?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

15 feet to TOO close. Please move them farther out as suggested by @JoeCymru 

30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

@va3lim wrote:
All channels are currently set to Auto and security method is WPA2-PSK. I don’t think WPA2-AES is available.

I live in a subdivision, so yes, I’ve neighbors on my left, right, and back.

I’ll try your suggestion to disable beamforming. I’ll also disable UPnP. Thanks.

Message 9 of 17
va3lim
Aspirant

I’ve disabled beamforming, MU-MIMO, fast roaming and move the RBR50 & RBS50 a bit further apart (20 ft), no luck, still getting bufferings when watching movies, live shows or recordings from TiVo and Plex app.

I’ve restored the configuration of Technicolor DPC3848VM as modem/router (disconnected the Orbi devices), no more bufferings when streaming videos from TiVo & Plex apps. Thanks all for help. I’m returning the Netgear Orbi AC3000.
Message 10 of 17
DougB628
Apprentice

@va3lim wrote:
My model of my TiVo modem/router is Technicolor DPC3848VM Docsis 3.0 Gateway. I’ve the Netgear Orbi AC3000, it has a router RBR50 & a satellite RBS50, both of them are connected to the back of DPC3848VM.

I think this is part of the problem - both the RBR50 and RBS50 should not be plugged into the back of the modem. The RBS50, if connected to anything, should be connected to the RBR50, if you want to use ethernet backhaul instead of wireless backhaul.

I agree with everyone else - 15 ft apart is too close - your devices are probably having a hard time deciding which Orbi to connect to as the signals are probably severely overlapping.

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Beamforming and MIMO should be enabled as well. Also enable WMM. 

This is probably a placement and wireles configuration issue. 

Good Luck. 

Message 12 of 17
va3lim
Aspirant

Your explanation makes sense.  Thank you so much.  I will order the Netgear Orbi AC3000 again and give it another try with your suggestion (RBS50 will be connected to RBR50 and try to separate them further).

Message 13 of 17
va3lim
Aspirant

WMM is already enabled.  Beamforming and MIMO were enabled previously but I disabled them due to someone's suggestion.  Those 2 features don't make any difference when viewing streaming movies from TiVo and Plex, I still experience bufferings.  Best Buy technician thinks I could have a bad Orbi and recommended me to replace it at the store.

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, possible the Orbi unit you have is faulty. Let us know if you get a replacement and how it turns out. 

This users Orbi does work for him:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Buffering-video-when-streaming-from-NAS/m-p/1677895#M47628

Message 15 of 17
DougB628
Apprentice

@va3lim wrote:

Your explanation makes sense.  Thank you so much.  I will order the Netgear Orbi AC3000 again and give it another try with your suggestion (RBS50 will be connected to RBR50 and try to separate them further).

Separate them as far as you can, even if the separation seems forced, like putting them right next to outer walls on opposite sides of your home. Try to get that minimum distance of 30 feet, but it's OK to have 50-70 feet between them as well. Think about it in terms of a bubble surrounding each device representing the wifi signal. If those bubbles overlap too much, you create a problem The ideal distance is the one that supports the highest speed connection between the devices while minimizing the bubble overlap. They have to overlap some to support a wireless backhaul connection, but if you are using a wired backhaul connection, then you can actually have them barely overlap at all.

I'm going to attempt to visualize this by showing different distances between the satellite (S) and router [R]. The satellite's signal is represented by parentheses below, and the router's signal by square brackets.

This would be ideal for wireless backhaul - enough bubble overlap to support a highspeed backhaul:

(        S    [   )   R       ]

With a wired backhaul, you can separate them further, but you'd have a "dead zone" right in the middle of the two:

(        S------)--[------R         ]

What you had in your setup probably looked more like this:

(    [ S   R )   ]

Any device located between the the router and satellite in this case has two very strong signals under the same SSID, possibly causing the device to bounce between the two signals, causing streaming to be stopped and restarted over and over. This is the reason for a minimum distance.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Since you modem has a built in router, be sure to try one of the following if you get another Orbi system:

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@va3lim wrote:
I’ve disabled beamforming, MU-MIMO, fast roaming and move the RBR50 & RBS50 a bit further apart (20 ft), no luck, still getting bufferings when watching movies, live shows or recordings from TiVo and Plex app.

I’ve restored the configuration of Technicolor DPC3848VM as modem/router (disconnected the Orbi devices), no more bufferings when streaming videos from TiVo & Plex apps. Thanks all for help. I’m returning the Netgear Orbi AC3000.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7