Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lots of problems when connected to the Orbi satellite, no problems when connected to router.

skyhawk214
Aspirant

Lots of problems when connected to the Orbi satellite, no problems when connected to router.

My landlord installed an Orbi mesh system for the house I live in, and it's been nothing but confusing problems ever since. I'm helping to fix it, but I do not know the credentials to get to the login page for the router. I'm just doing research so that when they get home from work tonight, I can go ahead and make the changes necessary.

I've noticed that when my computer was connected to a satellite, I cannot sync internet time, and it's 11.3 seconds behind on my computer, and 1.5 seconds ahead on my phone (according to time.is) Every single time. When it's wireless in the same room as the router, no time issues at all, everything works the way it should. This all only happens when I'm getting my WiFi via a satellite.

I can't connect to any VPNs either. The connection fails.

WiFi calling from AT&T also doesn't work when connected to a satellite. The connection never initiates, and when it tries to do the handoff from cellular to WiFi, it fails and the call drops.

If I ping 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS) I get a response time in the 300ms range.

My Nintendo Switch is only able to get NAT type F. When I'm wirelessly connected to the router, then I get NAT type either A or B. I am unable to play any games online at all. 

It seems like all the problems stem from being connected to a satellite, rather than the router itself.

Ideas?

Note: I am using the Orbi cable modem with this setup, all Orbi equipment. I have Xfinity for internet but I am not using their gateway.

Model: RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Lots of problems when connected to the Orbi satellite, no problems when connected to router.

Things we'll need feedback on:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 2 of 7
skyhawk214
Aspirant

Re: Lots of problems when connected to the Orbi satellite, no problems when connected to router.

• Orbi CBK40 cable modem w/ RBS satellite, w/ three wall plug extenders. Like I said, all Orbi devices.
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Please visit and post about this over in the Orbi with cable modem forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 7
vajim
Master

@skyhawk214 wrote:

My landlord installed an Orbi mesh system for the house I live in, and it's been nothing but confusing problems ever since.

Since your landlord installed the Orbi, are you able to answer all of these wonderful questions posted thuis far?

Message 5 of 7
skyhawk214
Aspirant

Only that we are using an Orbi cable modem (CBK40), the satellite that it comes with, an Orbi router, and three plug-in satellites. Their firmware is all up to date. We are using it with Xfinity, not their gateway, and it is authenticated with Xfinity. 

I still don't understand why my internet time is behind by 11 seconds on my computer, 1 second ahead on my phone, and all this while only being connected to one of the plug in satellites, but when connected to the router's WiFi signal, everything works properly. It's the plug in satellite that's the problem. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post over in your thread on the Orbi with cable modem forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/Orbi-CBK40-having-lots-of-problems-w...

Your feedback is needed there.

@skyhawk214 wrote:

Only that we are using an Orbi cable modem (CBK40), the satellite that it comes with, an Orbi router, and three plug-in satellites. Their firmware is all up to date. We are using it with Xfinity, not their gateway, and it is authenticated with Xfinity. 

I still don't understand why my internet time is behind by 11 seconds on my computer, 1 second ahead on my phone, and all this while only being connected to one of the plug in satellites, but when connected to the router's WiFi signal, everything works properly. It's the plug in satellite that's the problem. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7