Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lyric thermostats

Barry144
Follower

Lyric thermostats

I have two lyric round thermostats that I can not get to connect with Orbi. They seemed to work fine with my prior wifi router. Apparently this occurs with Nest also. I have rebooted the thermostats and my Orbi network multiple times but the thermostats just wont connect, although I believe that they did connect at first Orbi use. I switched cable routers also and cant get them to reconnect. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
st_shaw
Master

Re: Lyric thermostats

You could try to set separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz and see if it connects OK then.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

Message 2 of 7
rhester72
Virtuoso

The "with my prior router" part suggests to me that the subnet and/or encryption you used to use is different from Orbi's.  You'd probably do well to factory-reset the affected devices and set them up from scratch.

Message 3 of 7
st_shaw
Master

The other thing to try is to turn off Orbi, setup your old router with the same SSID, password, and enryption as Orbi.  Use the old router to change the thermostat settings to connect to the old router using the Orbi SSID/password. Then replace the old router with Orbi.

Message 4 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

This sounds like another classic example of a device that will only connect to a single wifi band.  In the case of the Lyric (like many ohters, it's the 2.4g). 

Not sure how close your Lyric is to anything Orbi, but you may want to turn down the 5g signal to 25%.

I've got a Ecobee and even after switching from my old Asus to the Orbi, it never missed a beat.  So it sounds like some devices and Orbi are buddies whereas others don't seem to get along.  It's like the Ecobee told Orbi..."I can only connect at the 2.4G band, here's the password, so please let me in..."

Message 5 of 7
ngb12347
Aspirant

Hey all,

So I just had the same issue after installing a new orbi router and it wouldn't connect to my lyric T5 thermostat.  I was looking into separating the 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands, but managed to solve it another way.

I noticed that when I looked at my connected devices on the orbilogin, that two of my devices were listed as being connected to the 2.4ghz network.  Both of those were basically next to the orbi router so I am assuming that some how the proximity makes them use the 2.4g network.  So here's the fix for me:

1. Go through the lyric T5 set up, (login to the t5 network, go through a bunch of prompts etc). You have to do this while standing in front of the thermostat.

2. Once it gets almost all the way through and your phone says something like "connecting to home network" thats when I hustled downstairs and put my phone next to the orbi router.  

3. voila it worked!

Now, it could have been dumb luck that it worked that time (and not the other 5 times i tried connecting the thermostat).  But I'm guessing that by forcing your phone to connect to the 2.4ghz network (by placing it close to the router) is how it can complete the set up.  So an alternative might be to shut off the 5ghz band receptor on your phone (idk if you can actually do this) and complete the set up that way.  

hope that helps!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I have two NEST stats working with my Orbi system. 

I've disabled MIMO and set manual channel 11 on 2.4Ghz, WPA2 and AES only. Using one SSID name. 

No issues. I would try disabling MIMO, Beamforming, Daisy Chain and or Fast Roaming if any of these are seeing on our model Orbi and see if this helps any. 

@Barry144wrote:

I have two lyric round thermostats that I can not get to connect with Orbi. They seemed to work fine with my prior wifi router. Apparently this occurs with Nest also. I have rebooted the thermostats and my Orbi network multiple times but the thermostats just wont connect, although I believe that they did connect at first Orbi use. I switched cable routers also and cant get them to reconnect. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7