Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MS Remote Desktop not working on Guest Network (works on private one)

DeckelHead
Follower

MS Remote Desktop not working on Guest Network (works on private one)

I'm sure this is covered someplace in this forum because it seems too obvious... But I can't find it so...

I have an RBR50 and a satellite running V2.3.5.30 (which is current as of today).  I have a private network and a guest network setup.  I put my IoT devices on the Guest network and *most* of my computers on the private one.  However, there is one computer that I want to put onto the Guest network and have it run headless.

Because I have no display on the machine, and because I periodically need to do some work on it (the computer controls some machinery in my garage that I download programs to periodically), I need to use MS Remote Desktop.  I understand that I can't cross from the private to the guest networks separation, so when I want to administer the remote machine, I'll need to switch the controlling computer to the guest network.  That is easy enough.

However, for some reason, Microsoft Remote Desktop doesn't work on the Orbi Guest network.  This isn't an issue with the remote computer's "private" or "public" setting as most threads center on; again, the same exact computer configuration works fine when I connect to my Orbi private network.  It is only when I move it to the Orbi guest network that remote desktop no longer functions.

I guess there are two parts to my post.  The first is "why and how do I enable MS remote networking on the guest network?"  The second question is, "am I going down a path that is simply a poor decision?"  If need be, I can move the target computer back to the Orbi private network, I'd just rather not.  I periodically download open source software on it and I'm a little concerned for that reason.  It is a Win10 box that is running MS Defender, if you are wondering.

Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: MS Remote Desktop not working on Guest Network (works on private one)

On the Orbi web interface, is the box checked "Allow guests to see each other?"

Guest.PNG

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7