Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Macbook speeds capped at 30-40mbps

pup0975
Star

Macbook speeds capped at 30-40mbps

I am on 2.1.4.10 and it has been pretty solid except my Macbook speeds are capped at 30-40mbps on my 100mbps internet service. All of our other iPhone/iPad speeds are fine. If I turn off and turn back on the Wifi on the Macbook, I get the full speed. It "resets" when I put the Macbook to sleep. I've got 3 Macbooks (on High Sierra and Sierra) and all 3 do the same thing. I haven't updated to 2.1.4.16 because I saw someone else had this issue on the 2.1.4.16 thread. I didn't want to mess something up by updating the firmware. Wanted to see if more people have this issue or if there is some setting change that will fix this. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

How are you turning OFF each radio? The radios need to be enabled and turned on for the system to work right and perform well. This is a mesh system intended to have all radios running since this is how mesh systems work. I've had zero issues with my system since day one. So has my friends system I set up for him:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

This is not a FW issue if your disabling wifi or you don't have the wifi configured correctly.

I would ask about the new beta FW, some mentioned that it was working better:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

@Orsuna wrote:

I have been running the default settings for 2.4GHz with the 5GHz turned off in AP mode for the past 4 months without issues until I dropped the 2.1.4.16 firmware on it 3 weeks ago. It's ruined my ability to livestream video to the internet, and as of last night, I shut off the 2.4GHz radio and switched my entire router/satellite to 5GHz and now I'm back to 140+ Mbps speeds on my wireless devices. It's definitely something within the 2.1.4.16 firmware that is affecting the wireless speeds. It seems as though if the 2.4GHz band is enabled, the performance is degraded on the Orbi system. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies

@pup0975 Yes! I owned an RBK30 system and the latest MacBook Pro, a similar to the related problem occurs on my MacBook Pro too. 

I've Internet package of 150Mbps but in my area I get 200Mbps. Sometimes on my MacBook Pro, the speed and connection just couldn't keep up. Sometimes at any given time, I get to speed around 30 to 50 Mbps down even if I'm closer to Orbi. This problem doesn't occur on my other IoT devices.

I've contacted Apple about the issue, based on apple investigation they are saying it's not the MacBook Pro WiFi adapter, Driver or either software issues. From Apple engineer said it's likely to issue with the Orbi router device.  

When I contact Netgear about this issue, they are saying it's MacBook Pro WiFi adapter/driver issues. 

So, I don't know what is the exact problem??? 

I hope Netgear read this thread and fix this issue ASAP! @Netgear 

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 2 of 10
Orsuna
Aspirant

I can verify that this issue is not limited to Apple devices. I have experienced the slowdown since updating to the .16 firmware version. Previously on my windows PC I was able to hit 150/175 consistently and now I’m down to 30-40 up/down. It has impacted every aspect of my wireless network at this point. It is definitely on Netgear’s end.
Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR40-RBS40-V2-1-4-16-mesh-network-drops-connection-to/m-...
I changed the CTR/RTS threshold values for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. 

MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@pup0975 wrote:

I am on 2.1.4.10 and it has been pretty solid except my Macbook speeds are capped at 30-40mbps on my 100mbps internet service. All of our other iPhone/iPad speeds are fine. If I turn off and turn back on the Wifi on the Macbook, I get the full speed. It "resets" when I put the Macbook to sleep. I've got 3 Macbooks (on High Sierra and Sierra) and all 3 do the same thing. I haven't updated to 2.1.4.16 because I saw someone else had this issue on the 2.1.4.16 thread. I didn't want to mess something up by updating the firmware. Wanted to see if more people have this issue or if there is some setting change that will fix this. 

Message 4 of 10
Orsuna
Aspirant

I have been running the default settings for 2.4GHz with the 5GHz turned off in AP mode for the past 4 months without issues until I dropped the 2.1.4.16 firmware on it 3 weeks ago. It's ruined my ability to livestream video to the internet, and as of last night, I shut off the 2.4GHz radio and switched my entire router/satellite to 5GHz and now I'm back to 140+ Mbps speeds on my wireless devices. It's definitely something within the 2.1.4.16 firmware that is affecting the wireless speeds. It seems as though if the 2.4GHz band is enabled, the performance is degraded on the Orbi system. 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

How are you turning OFF each radio? The radios need to be enabled and turned on for the system to work right and perform well. This is a mesh system intended to have all radios running since this is how mesh systems work. I've had zero issues with my system since day one. So has my friends system I set up for him:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

This is not a FW issue if your disabling wifi or you don't have the wifi configured correctly.

I would ask about the new beta FW, some mentioned that it was working better:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

@Orsuna wrote:

Message 6 of 10
pup0975
Star

@FURRYe38: I think changing the CTR/RTS threshold values and the premable mode has fixed things! I'll give it another day or so and keep testing it out to make sure it still works. Thanks!

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let us know how it goes. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
pup0975
Star

So far so good. I think @FURRYe38's solution worked. 

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements