Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Macbook takes 15-20 seconds to start connecting to internet after turning on

pup0975
Star

Macbook takes 15-20 seconds to start connecting to internet after turning on

Just got a new Orbi 2 satellite system. When I turn on my Macbook Pro, the wifi is connected but when opening webpages on my browser, it take about 15-20 seconds before it loads any pages. Once on, the speeds are great and not having any disconnects.  Previously had an Airport Extreme, and it wouldn't take this long for the Macbook to connect to the internet. Would always take a few seconds to connect but was always within about 5 seconds or so. Any thoughts or anyone else having similar experience.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
msickles
Tutor

Re: Macbook takes 15-20 seconds to start connecting to internet after turning on

Here is a quick recommendation:

Change your DNS servers to either Google DNS or OpenDNS (8.8.8.8;8.8.4.4 -- 208.67.222.222;208.67.220.220).

Do you still have the latency issue?

Also, do you have iPv6 enabled--or are you only native IPv4 on the Orbi?

.mws.

Message 2 of 4
pup0975
Star

I already had my DNS changed to one that was faster than my ISP (and Google's DNS) using an open DNS tester. My IPv6 was disabled. You think it would be faster with IPv6 disabled or enabled? If I should enable it, should I just use "Auto Detect"?

Message 3 of 4
msickles
Tutor

Does this happen with anything other than MacBook?

If it is only MBP, try resetting the network profile.

How-To Article

.mws.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7