Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Magenta lite on satellite after firmware upgrade

adambean
Luminary

Magenta lite on satellite after firmware upgrade

I posted this already, but it's not showing up in the thread list, nor can I edit or reply to it? https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Magenta-lite-on-satellite-after-firmware-upgrade/td-p/1385855

Anyway ... 

Brand new Orbi, order of operations took:

1. Set system to AP

2. Upgraded Sat1 to RBS50-V2.0.0.74, no issues

3. Upgraded Sat2 to RBS50-V2.0.0.74, post install it dropped off network and has a magenta light

4. Moved Sat2 next to router, restarted, no change

5. Factory reset Sat2, attempted sync, web gui says success ... magenta light remains

6. Repeated #5, no change

7. Repeated #5, light went blue before it went magenta again

8. Pressed sync on Sat2 and router, Sat2 light went blue ... then back to magenta

9. Factory reset Sat2, pressed sync on Sat2 and router, router white pulse stopped, Sat2 kept pulsing ... then back to magenta

10. Several more tries of the above, no change

11. Decided to upgrade the router. Router is now magenta, sat2 is blue and sat1 just dropped off the network and is also magenta.

12. Rebooted all three devices, threw a fit, got pissed off and drank a beer

13. Now ... the router is still magenta, but able to access both sat's and sat2's firmware upgrade did take, everything is on .74

WTF!

Thoughts? I parted ways with my first Orbi due to these types of issues and round 2 already has me frustrated. I don't understand why performing the same firmware upgrade on a second device has caused this and why I can't resolve with a factory reset. Assuming next step is factory resetting the router? Which basically means, put it back in the box and return it?

Thanks

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7
adambean
Luminary

Found a thread about post firmware upgrades, that when in AP mode, you need your LAN connection to hit the WAN port of the Router. I did so, and that resulted in the router's magenta light going away, but the Satellites went magenta. So basically we swapped lights. Regardless of the scenario, all three devices are working and accessible.

Holy christ is this thing frustrating. Should I abandon now or post this first headache, does life get better? What if anything can/should I do for this latest issue?

Will keep wasting time trying to get it working in the interim. 

Thanks

Message 2 of 7
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Assuming that you have them all updated to the same firmware now, and you still cannot get a connection https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean 

Then press the sync button on the router and satellite.

If still not connected, then I would look at regenerating the backhaul key. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1237157/Netgear-Orbi.html?page=77

If still not, then i would consider doing a full reset to factory settings on all devices.

Message 3 of 7
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

By the way, I am having no issues - the RBK50 with two satellites has been the most stable wifi router that I have ever owned. However, I had to turn off UPnP at one point because one of my UPnP devices was misbehaving on the network affecting everything and causing disconnects (but that really may not be the Orbi's fault - except maybe it could have handled the device requests better than it did)

Message 4 of 7
adambean
Luminary

Well, perhaps merely timing ... but after all the above hooplah and swapping to the WAN port when in AP mode, I'm back up and operable with no current issues.

Something else I'm trying to confirm, when in AP mode, there's no central interface (either by app, DNS name or IP), correct? I have to go to each device manually via IP?

Thanks

Message 5 of 7
adambean
Luminary

So yeah ... now both the satellites are no longer showing as attached devices. My router (Asus) is showing them as connected and I've given them IP reservations. I can access both just fine ... but the Orbi router is saying I don't have any satellites and all my WiFi connections are going to the single Orbi router. When/if the Sats do come back, everything will still be connected to a single location, kinda defeats the purpose.

A couple times they randomly showed up, a device or two was connected, then they disappeared. 

This thing ... is it really worth the headache? I've used a lot of networking equipment and never have I faced so many little frustrations. This thing is flakey. 

Message 6 of 7
adambean
Luminary

One of the two Sat's remains available in attached devices. Decided to reboot the other Sat ... magenta light and now neither is attached.

The thing is though, both sats have an IP, and can be accessed via web. I also think devices are connected to them as they're not showing up my attached devices list. 

This thing seriously sucks. I think it's time to return it for a second time. Far too may nuyances, not ready for prime time.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7