Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Main RBR50 Router

Tallrandal
Aspirant

Main RBR50 Router

I currently have the following setup: 

RBK50 AC3000 Wi-Fi System:

RBR50 Router

2x RBS50 (One running Wireless the other is wired via backhaul CAT 6 to garage) I had purchased second RBS50 from online so I could get the best coverage and speeds. I am covering a huge area and my garage is the hardest as I have metal door, fridge and microwave in-between attached garage and the house.  

Firmware: 2.2.1.210 for all 

RBR50 Setings:

Router Mode

20/40 Coexistence Off,

Daisy-Chain Topology: ON

Beamforming: ON

MU-MMIMO: ON

Fast Roaming: ON

ISP Modem:

Spectrum Gigabit internet (930 Mbps Average direct wire to modem)

Technicolor Model TC4400-AM

I have been running this system for about 7 months now. Everything has been really good. Coverage and speeds. I was one of the lucky ones that got a good firmware update. 

However, in the last month I have been having an issue with my RBR50 Router. Speeds via the wireless are maxing at 230 on almost all my devices. For testing I am using 3rd Generation iPad pro 12.9, iPhone XS Max and MacBook Pro 2017. However, when I test hardwire, I am getting 830 to 930 Mbps. 

Now if I switch my devices to the RBS50 that is using wired backhaul I am averaging 600 Mbps on wireless. I have not tested hardware as I don’t need it on this node.  

Upstairs I have another RBS50 using Wireless backhaul and I can average 380 to 450 Mbps wirelessly. This satellite has a about 18 devices running via wireless, so I expect the speeds to be slower. 

I have done close to 4 resets and modifications of every setting I could think of or saw on the Netgear Community forums. 

Any thoughts on why the main RBR50 would be so slow? I am wondering if I have a hardware issue...

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Main RBR50 Router

If your turn OFF all satellites and ALL other LAN and wireless devices. Just the RBR and pick one wireless and wired devoce. What are you speeds on wired and wireless? 

Some wireless devices may not support up to 900Mb wireless speeds. Most max out at round 400-500Mb approx. Some newer wifi device maybe more capable. 

Any speed differences if you disable MIMO, Daisy Chain or Fast Roaming? 

Message 2 of 9
Tallrandal
Aspirant

Furrye38,

I appreciate the response.  I am curretnly running new devices that can handle the 600 Mbps on wifi as I can achieve the speeds on my RBS50 that is using wired backhaul. I can also achive 500 to 600 at work where the network is enterprise level. 

As for turning OFF all the satellites and runnning just the RBR50, I have done this and it still gets the same speeds. I have also gone as far as shutting off almost all the devices accessing that node. 

If I tried disabling all and a mixed bag of the beamforming, MIMO Fast Roaming. Beamforming obvioulsy decreases the speeds. Outside of that nothing changes. 

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory rest on the RBR and setup from scratch. Don't enable QoS, traffic meter or Access controls. Test the wifi immediately after setting it up. If speed doesn't change, possible the RBR is fautly. 

Message 4 of 9
Tallrandal
Aspirant

As I had mentioned, I have done 4 resets. No Speedtest, traffice meter  or access controls were set. Same results. 

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with NG support about this. 

Message 6 of 9
ekhalil
Master

@Tallrandal wrote:

However, in the last month I have been having an issue with my RBR50 Router. Speeds via the wireless are maxing at 230 on almost all my devices. For testing I am using 3rd Generation iPad pro 12.9, iPhone XS Max and MacBook Pro 2017. However, when I test hardwire, I am getting 830 to 930 Mbps. 

Now if I switch my devices to the RBS50 that is using wired backhaul I am averaging 600 Mbps on wireless. I have not tested hardware as I don’t need it on this node.  

Since you are able to achieve high speeds from the satellite, it seems that the backhaul and the WAN connection are both fine.

The issue seems to be only with the fronthaul wifi connection.

1. When your devices are attached wirelessly to the Router, do you know if they are connected on 2.4 or 5 GHz bands?
  2. Can you please make a wifi scan and see the channles that are being used in your environment and try to select your best 2.4 and 5 GHz channels accordingly. Try selecting other channels than those that you are using today.
Message 7 of 9
Tallrandal
Aspirant

Both satellites are connected via 5 GHz. I have tried every channel for both 5 and 2.4 GHz. Some 5 GHz channels reduce speeds while other stay in the 200 range.
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I think this is a HW issue at the router. Hope NG support and offer you something. Ask for an RMA. 

@Tallrandal wrote:
Both satellites are connected via 5 GHz. I have tried every channel for both 5 and 2.4 GHz. Some 5 GHz channels reduce speeds while other stay in the 200 range.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7