Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Managing "Guest" access

MrBTC
Aspirant

Managing "Guest" access

Besides our "normal" SSID, I currently use one of the "guest" channels on my Netgear AC5000 for my connected house and the others for visitors.  How are these needs addressed by the new Orbi?

Message 1 of 53

Accepted Solutions
MrBTC
Aspirant

I installed the most recent update to my Orbi system and now have "Guest" access control.  This resolves my issue.  Thanks, Netgear, for addressing this concern.

View solution in original post

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 53 of 53

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello MrBTC

The initial release will not have the guest network but it is planned to be added in a later firmware update.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 53
serac
Guide

no guest network until software update? how is that an after thought? deal breaker

Message 3 of 53
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We do appreciate your feedback.

The focus was to get the key features ready for the product launch especially the whole home Wi-Fi.

We had to prioritise when deciding which features to include in the initial release and which to add in later  firmware updates.

A lot of thought and internal discussion goes into decisions like this, especially for an exciting new product like Orbi. We also received valuable feedback from beta testers as to what they would like to see added to Orbi. It's essential to have a good base of end user feedback to help to shape and validate post launch development plans before even launching a new product.

The relative importance of different features is subjective, but we feel we've provided a good set of features for an initial release.

Message 4 of 53
ShadowFyr
Aspirant

Disappointing. I was about to pre-order the set but without the guest access I will wait. I have to much company to not have this feature in it. Also not knowing what the price for the satellite add on will be is not acceptable given that a satellite is part of the initial set. If the price needs to come down later so be it but an initial MSRP would give consumers an expectation which is necessary to plan. I know I will need an extra satellite.

Message 5 of 53
txstatesal
Aspirant

I just set up my Orbi system with the satellite and people do not hesitate getting it! Sure having a guest access portal would be great and they addressed adding it soon which gives me piece of mind but it litereally took me all of 5 minutes to get everything in place. I think it took me more time to unpack it because I was in awe of the packaging! Smiley LOLI'm a sucker for people who think things like branding through. I have the Linksys Max Stream router and the Range extender and I had to call them to help me set that system up. So far i'm in love with this system! 

Message 6 of 53
KWAHERN
Initiate

I have to agree with previous posters, I will not buy a router that has no guest account.

Message 7 of 53
netwrks
Master

IMHO, purchasing new home networking hardware / software in the first year, is equal to setting yourself up for disapointment..

Message 8 of 53
FatElvis
Initiate

I decide last week to upgrade my old WNDR4000 router by the end of the month and the Orbi really seems to fit the bill for what we need ... I was all ready to rush right out and buy it tomorrow.  But after 35 years of working with computers, I've learned that "it will be coming soon in an update" usually means "it is never, ever coming in any kind of workable form".  Frankly, I'm astounded there's no guest access - they should have taken the marketing budget for that sappy "connected family ad" and put it towards perfecting a guest account.  Who out there has $400 for a router but absolutely no friends that ever come over ?   I sure as hell don't want every one of my kids friends stopping by having access to control my Sonos or popping on to my media server.  Ridiculous.  

Is the guest network even in Beta ?

Message 9 of 53
dpdurst
Luminary

Wow this is a let down, Just dropped the CC on purchasing this to replace the ASUS RT5300 and no guest network. Seriously considering returning the product as I use the guest network when we have friend and family over quite often. The last thing I want to give them is my secure password for whole network access.

Is there any update on when a release may be other then in the future. Working for a software company when that comes from us it means pretty much never. 

Think I'll give this a 2-3 star due to the lack of this feature that pretty much everyone else has.

Message 10 of 53
Mikey94025
Hero

How about just use your old wireless router for guest network until they add it to the Orbi firmware? That's what I'm probably going to do.
Message 11 of 53
dpdurst
Luminary

I could but really didn't want to buy a router to use another router to have a feature like guest network. I'd be more interested in hearing just how long the future might be for this to be added.

Message 12 of 53
FatElvis
Initiate

Using a second router for guest access is certainly possible, but the fact you would need to is unfathomable to me.  This is being marketed as a whole house / all in one premium networking solution, marketed towards people who want ease of use for a "modern" family.  Missing this super-basic feature common to most every router they might already be upgrading from is really kind of ridiculous.  

Message 13 of 53
jagreedo
Aspirant

I, too, just installed my new Orbi Router and Satellite.  I am happy with the ease of setup and its great coverage and performance, but also very disappointed with the lack of any way to have a "guest" account for friends.  I am really unhappy this common feature is missing.  As a workaround, I am planning to connect my old router to the satellite in the living room and use that for my guests, but that is a jury-rigged setup that shouldn't be necessary after spending $400 on a high-end router/satellite pair.  It's sort of like buying a Mercedes-Benz and discovering there are no passenger seat airbags.  For the price, it ought to be there.

Message 14 of 53
TheEther
Guru

You shoud understand that a jury-rigged setup (connecting a router into the Orbi system) is not going to provide you with a secure, isolated guest network.  Your guests will have full access to your home network.

Message 15 of 53
jagreedo
Aspirant

Thank you for letting me know.  I had assumed that if I plugged my old Linksys E1000 into a port on the Orbi Satellite and created a "guest" account on it for my visitors to use, it would restrict their access to files and peripherals.  Do you know of a reasonable workaround, or should I consider exchanging the Orbi for a router with a guest account feature.  

Message 16 of 53
dpdurst
Luminary

There is no other option at this time. Put a router in for guest access (does nothing since you still have access to the Orbi network) or wait to see if they actually come out with an update like they say. The bad thing is no commitment to any time this year or next, just a future update is all that is being said. 

You may be able to go modem to old router and the Orbi in ap mode? And use guest account on the old router but still it's back to the point of paying $400 and having to use your old hardware for a feature that should have been available at release.

IMO just being told that gets under my skin.

Message 17 of 53
TheEther
Guru

Putting the old router between the modem and the Orbi and running the Orbi in router mode will work.  But this is less than ideal because traffic for devices on the Orbi network will undergo double-NAT to get to the Internet.  This can cause some apps to break, particularly gaming, but it can work.  I would only do this as a last resort.  If you must absolutely have a guest network and can't wait, then return the Orbi and get something else.

Message 18 of 53
GadgetGuy
Apprentice

This is such a basic request that an ETA will make us all feel at ease after spending the 400 dollars.
Message 19 of 53
jagreedo
Aspirant

Thanks, Ether, for the insight.  As you may have guessed, I have only a basic knowledge of how routers work, so I appreciate that you pointed out the drawbacks in my plan.  I have been impressed with the speed and coverage of the Orbi so far, so I am reluctant to exchange it.  It's just frustrating.  For now I think I will keep my Verizon Wi-Fi service running as a backup if my broadband goes down, and then I can use the Verizon network for friends.  It's much slower and limited to 16GB/month, but it should do for my occassional guests.

Message 20 of 53
mmripp8
Initiate

Pay attention, Netgear. This is huge.  Get the firmware fixed to allow multiple accounts and parental controls, or suffer the consequences.

Message 21 of 53

@mmripp8 wrote:

Pay attention, Netgear. This is huge.  Get the firmware fixed to allow multiple accounts and parental controls, or suffer the consequences.

not sure what you mean by multiple accounts , but i suggest you wait and vent your anger after the november firmware release as its been explained multiple times that features will be added its just a matter of which priority they are added and when

im guessing this came to market so quick as to be at least in the race with all the other mesh systems being released at the same time and as a consequence the major feature was to get the whole home wifi working first ( which it is thank you ) and then add features later which they have said they would or at least indicated so

TBH what i see here is what we see with every new release , eg ppl jumping on the band wagon to early , most of us know that to buy on release mean you pay the early adopter tax of firmware upgrades and bugs etc etc before you end up with a good working product , if you dont what these hassles and or frustration dont jump on the band wagon so early and wait , this is the case for pretty much every router i have ever had and its always the case if your the type that has to have the latest and greatest NOW and are not prepared to wait till the dust settle on the firmware cycle

it also has to be said that the web site does not suggest it has guest wifi nor parental control or multiple ssid , the expectation of what is standard and what is not is another arguement for another time

again wait for the november fw release and then vent your spleen if you dont get what you want

pete

Message 22 of 53
csk
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm a proud owner of Orbi. As many of you I was dissapointed for luck of guest access however am totally glad that I get the speed and stable internet.
In the meantime I connected my nighthawk r8000 router on the back of the Orbi router and am using it for guest access.

I do not intend to return the Orbi and will be patient until netgear updates the firmware. What I will not do is to compromise the speed am currently enjoying with the Orbi regardless.
Message 23 of 53
jagreedo
Aspirant

Hey csk, glad you are  happy with your Orbi.  I, too, am very pleased with the speed, range, and stability of my Orbi after a month in service.  I was going to do the same as you by plugging my old router into the Orbi for guest access, but decided not to when Ether responded to my plan with this comment.

----------

"You shoud understand that a jury-rigged setup (connecting a router into the Orbi system) is not going to provide you with a secure, isolated guest network.  Your guests will have full access to your home network."

----------

I don't know enough about routers to understand how it allows guests to have full access, but I am trusting that Ether knows more than I do on this subject.  I'm hoping Netgear will come out with the update to include guest access sometime soon, but not holding my breath.

Message 24 of 53
TheEther
Guru

@jagreedo is right. The guest network has full access to devices on the Orbi's network. As far as the Orbi is concerned, the R8000 and any devices using its guest network look like another home device.

If you must absolutely have a guest network, then set up the R8000 as the main router (i.e. plug it directly into the modem). Then plug the Orbi into the R8000 and set the Orbi to run as an Access Point. This will put the Orbi and its devices on the LAN side of the R8000 and they will be inaccessible by guests.
Message 25 of 53
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7