Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Manged Switches and Ethernet Backhaul Formal Confirmation of Issues?

leewilko
Tutor

Manged Switches and Ethernet Backhaul Formal Confirmation of Issues?

Hi,

I have a RBR40 and 2 x RBS40 sats and cannot get Ethernet Back Haul to work (I have tried all suggestions on previous posts and its just crashes my network).

I wanted to understand formally what the official status is from Netgear on supported switches. I keep seeing posts where people are advising to not use Managed Switches and to use non managed switches but on what advice and from who?

• Is there formal advice from Netgear on this?
  • If there is advice to avoid Managed Switches why is this the case technically?
  • What features of a Managed vs unmanaged swith are causing problems technically (And yes I get that Unmanaged is simpler and therefore less complex but people are experiencing issues with Unmanaged as well)?

So i'm after some technial clarity here as to why I should avoid Managed switches (which I cant in my enviroment as they are at the heart of my setup) and what are the actual technial reasons behind this?

I see lots of people throwing around advice on this subject but am yet to read anything formal with any technial details that would allow me or others to understand this and maybe assist in fixing my issues.

Please dont just send me links to here's how it was fixed for me, as i've been researching this and have tried every conceivable method posted on here by the friendly and knowledable folks that you all are but seriously nothing is fixing wired backhaul for me.

So what the deal here is there formal known reasons to avoid Managed swiches, can I get some clarity on that please from a formal source?  

Lets discuss guys????

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Manged Switches and Ethernet Backhaul Formal Confirmation of Issues?

I've asked NG to comment and filed a report to them regarding it. Nothing has been said about it.

Only one user first mentioned that he found the disbling IGMP on his switch seem to help get the Orbi wired back haul working for him on his system so I've kind of carried this forward for those asking about it or those replying to my queries about having a switch in the mix due to there posted problems with wired back haul.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1553407/highlight/true#M30662

What Mfr and model# switch are you using?

I don't have any managed switches on my network, just non-managed switches and my Orbi and satellite have worked since day one on wired back haul with these non-managed switches.

As for NG saying anything, not sure if they will or not. They are aware of it. Only thing i'm doing to to advise users of the issues and try the suggestions with disabling IGMP on the managed switches and power cycle them and test. If not, use non-managed switches.

@DarrenM

@AmitR

@ChristineT

@leewilko wrote:

Hi,

I have a RBR40 and 2 x RBS40 sats and cannot get Ethernet Back Haul to work (I have tried all suggestions on previous posts and its just crashes my network).

I wanted to understand formally what the official status is from Netgear on supported switches. I keep seeing posts where people are advising to not use Managed Switches and to use non managed switches but on what advice and from who?

• Is there formal advice from Netgear on this?
  • If there is advice to avoid Managed Switches why is this the case technically?
  • What features of a Managed vs unmanaged swith are causing problems technically (And yes I get that Unmanaged is simpler and therefore less complex but people are experiencing issues with Unmanaged as well)?

So i'm after some technial clarity here as to why I should avoid Managed switches (which I cant in my enviroment as they are at the heart of my setup) and what are the actual technial reasons behind this?

I see lots of people throwing around advice on this subject but am yet to read anything formal with any technial details that would allow me or others to understand this and maybe assist in fixing my issues.

Please dont just send me links to here's how it was fixed for me, as i've been researching this and have tried every conceivable method posted on here by the friendly and knowledable folks that you all are but seriously nothing is fixing wired backhaul for me.

So what the deal here is there formal known reasons to avoid Managed swiches, can I get some clarity on that please from a formal source?  

Lets discuss guys????

Message 2 of 5
leewilko
Tutor

OK thats interesting then as I did previously follow your advice on IGMP and checked all of my managed switches (incidentally which are all Netgear) and none had IGMP snooping enabled and I have ensured that all Multicast is disabled on all switches. 

But this made no difference at all. Exactly the same results!!!

So maybe advising all to do this, on mass, off the back of just one user confirming to you that this resolved something it is maybe misleading. I'm not trying to sound ungrateful here as I know you are trying to help but if NG have not confirmed this as the cause of the issue and its maybe fixed one user confirmed then is it even a fix?

We as a community are trying to resolve and share things we feel have worked but i'm still not convinced that there isnt a deeper issue with Spanning Tree Protocol going on here thats causing loops. My gut feel, and thats all it is, is that the IGMP stuff is a red herring.

However we should all band together here as the real response should come from NG and i'm absoluely amazed that no NG moderator has intervened here and provided any updates. Its astonishing really as if we were given some information rather than nothing, even if thats, hey guys hang tight we are working on it and maybe share some info we would be an far more understanding group.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Even though it may seem en mass, i mention only IGMP for those with Managed swtiches and it's up to users with managed switches to try the IGMP. I make no quarter about it being a complete fix. There maybe other issues with Managed switches and Orbi systems that even after trying to disable IGMP on managed switchs that could be having issue...

After you disabled your features on your switch, did you power OFF the switch and back on to let the MAC address table clear and re-populate?

Can you try using a non managed switch and see if you can get wired back haul working? I presume it will in this configuration.

You have the optoin to contact the forum moderators on your own accord and see if you get any information.

Good Luck with NG and response. Smiley Wink

@leewilko wrote:

OK thats interesting then as I did previously follow your advice on IGMP and checked all of my managed switches (incidentally which are all Netgear) and none had IGMP snooping enabled and I have ensured that all Multicast is disabled on all switches. 

But this made no difference at all. Exactly the same results!!!

So maybe advising all to do this, on mass, off the back of just one user confirming to you that this resolved something it is maybe misleading. I'm not trying to sound ungrateful here as I know you are trying to help but if NG have not confirmed this as the cause of the issue and its maybe fixed one user confirmed then is it even a fix?

We as a community are trying to resolve and share things we feel have worked but i'm still not convinced that there isnt a deeper issue with Spanning Tree Protocol going on here thats causing loops. My gut feel, and thats all it is, is that the IGMP stuff is a red herring.

However we should all band together here as the real response should come from NG and i'm absoluely amazed that no NG moderator has intervened here and provided any updates. Its astonishing really as if we were given some information rather than nothing, even if thats, hey guys hang tight we are working on it and maybe share some info we would be an far more understanding group.

Message 4 of 5
leewilko
Tutor

ve had enough of messing about and have had my return accepted by Amazon today.

Its mad but I have an actual feeling of relief and have ordered some Unifi kit today as a replacement.

Really disappointing experience with Orbi and no moderator response to my calls for help from NG so im off.

Good luck guys!!!!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7