Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Max devices connected to Orbi mini (RBK22) on 2.4GHz simultaneously

weartolive
Aspirant

Max devices connected to Orbi mini (RBK22) on 2.4GHz simultaneously

Got Netgear Orbi Mini AC2200 Tri-Band WiFi System, 2-pack (RBK22) from Costco. Have some questions..

1. I have 10 IoT devices that only connect to 2.4Ghz, plus a few more that needs to be on the same 2.4Ghz in order to work with Google Home. This effectively bump out of the 11 devices limitation for 2.4Ghz band per IEEE. Question is, will this Orbi Mini be able to get all my IoT devices connect to 2.4Ghz band? I have 15 devices now, and may add more later.

2. if not, what's the solution? As Google Home required all devices to be connected to the same band as the phone.

Thanks,

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
weartolive
Aspirant

i have my Orbi mini system setup and up n running for about a week now. I tapped internet input from the existing WNR4500 ethernet out but turn WNR4500's wifi off to make sure that all my internet connection will come from new router without trying to switch back and forward between two wi-fi routers, and I am happy to report that everything seems to work fine. 

I have 15 devices connected to 2.4Ghz on Orbi satellie without issue. I think i will proceed to remove the WNR4500 in the next few days.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Depending upon placement of Orbi system and it's satellites an placement of IoT device, if the connections are spread out between the RBR and RBSs with the IoT devices, you should be find. There just saying you can't connect ALL of your IoT device to the RBR alone. This would bog down the RBR so having the RBS online as well the IoT devices should connect to the satellites depending upon placement and distances from RBS from IoT devices. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. This is key to have good coverage and singal for all devices. 

Message 2 of 12
weartolive
Aspirant

Size of home is 3200sq-ft, two storage. The house is built rather square shape than long or odd shape. Router is in the corner of the house downstairs. Satellite is at the other corner (diagonal) of the room where router is. They are connected wirelessly. Of course, a few internal walls here and there.

Those are devices that are outside or a bit further away. All others are indoor.

2 IoT cam at outside wall

1 IoT bell/cam

2 IoT devices at garage

How do I sprad them up between RBR vs RBS?

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll just have to connect them at there designated remote locations and see how they connect and work with Orbi. 

Message 4 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@weartolive wrote:

Got Netgear Orbi Mini AC2200 Tri-Band WiFi System, 2-pack (RBK22) from Costco. Have some questions..

1. I have 10 IoT devices that only connect to 2.4Ghz, plus a few more that needs to be on the same 2.4Ghz in order to work with Google Home. This effectively bump out of the 11 devices limitation for 2.4Ghz band per IEEE.

Is there a confusion between 2.4G "channels" 1 through 11 and "number of devices"?  Any WiFi will communicate on one 2.4G frequency channel out of the 11, but there is no practical limit to the number of devices that can be connected.  There are Orbi users who report having more than 100 devices on their network.  The only factors to consider are (1) the DHCP pool is typically 2-254 (253 unique addresses), and (2) at some point the amount of network traffic increases to the point that service gets poor.  IoT devices often have very little network usage, so the number of them is not nearly as significant as the number of devices with high bandwidth (streaming 4K video, for example).

Message 5 of 12
weartolive
Aspirant

I currently have WNDR4300 and I have issue connecting all my IoT devices to the 2.4Ghz. From the Netgear Genie, it shows all 11ch are actively occuplied on 2.4Ghz band (and yes, it shows exactly 11 devices). I also have a couple of devices connected to 2.4Ghz band that would drop in and out frequently.  At the mean time, all other computers, phones, tablets are forced to go 5Ghz channel - and none of them are able to go 2.4Ghz. It would show 2.4Ghz is available but can not be connected in their wi-fi page. I am hoping Orbi mini could solve this issue.

What do I miss?? Do I need to manually assign a DHCP address for each of IoT devices to 2.4Ghz using their MAC address? Would Orbi mini behave the same?

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

The 4300 is about a ten year old model router so it will have limitation on how many devices can connect to it all at once. Newer generation routers are more capable of handling more devices, especially Orbi since some of the devices can be connected to the satellites and not just the main router. 

You can set up reserved IP addresses for your devices. This includes the MAC address the router detects from the device. 

Message 7 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@weartolive wrote:

1. I have 10 IoT devices that only connect to 2.4Ghz, plus a few more that needs to be on the same 2.4Ghz in order to work with Google Home. ........

Google Home does not require devices to be on any band! It just requires that the devices are connected to the same IP network.

I have more than 50 devices controlled by Google Home, devices are connected to different bands and also wired.

How do you see that Google Home's control is affected by the band the device is connected to?

Message 8 of 12
weartolive
Aspirant

Wow.. that's good to know. I'll have them all setup when I receive Orbi mini.
Message 9 of 12
weartolive
Aspirant

Google home and the voice control from Google mini don't seem to work on those devices connected to 5Ghz band; same problem if I put Google home or mini on 5Ghz, and others on 2.4Ghz. Not sure why but if I put them on the same frequency band, then there won't be problem.
Message 10 of 12
ekhalil
Master

What type of IoT devices do you see issues with?
Message 11 of 12
weartolive
Aspirant

i have my Orbi mini system setup and up n running for about a week now. I tapped internet input from the existing WNR4500 ethernet out but turn WNR4500's wifi off to make sure that all my internet connection will come from new router without trying to switch back and forward between two wi-fi routers, and I am happy to report that everything seems to work fine. 

I have 15 devices connected to 2.4Ghz on Orbi satellie without issue. I think i will proceed to remove the WNR4500 in the next few days.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7