Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mesh RBK752 or RBK50

Elisa2414
Aspirant

Mesh RBK752 or RBK50

I need to replace the useless router provided by my cable company. We have a large home running many devices. It is not a smart home, but my daughter is a gamer. I'm not  a techie so torn between Orbi RBK5 AC3000 and Orbi RBK752 AX 4200, recommations and reasons please.

Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Gamers seem to have problems with the Orbi system more than other users.  Orbi was designed and began selling in 2016.  It is now becomming difficult to find, especially the "3 pack" which may be required for a large home.  More than four years later, the market is being flooded with new WiFi6 systems (from Netgear and every other vendor) and there are promises of WiFi6E systems coming out within a year.

You could purchase an Orbi RBK50 (2 pack) from Amazon for under $300. (Amazon no longer sells the 3-pack)  Install it.  If for some reason it doesn't work, return it.

Costco no longer sells the WiFi5 Orbi packages.  You could buy a "3 pack" of the new WiFi6 Orbi for $500.  Costco has even more generous return policies than Amazon.

Gamers have very specific needs that are different from mine, so I am really hesitant to recommend anything.  It might be a good idea to ask the gamer, "what WiFi systems do your gaming buddies recommend, and which do they say to stay away from?"

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/default.aspx
https://www.netgear.com/orbi/wifi-systems.aspx
https://kb.netgear.com/000038220/What-are-the-hardware-specifications-of-the-available-Orbi-WiFi-Sys...

Can you take advantage of AX wifi or just future proofing? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 3 of 11
Elisa2414
Aspirant

My home is 3000 sq ft, outside walls are concrete block and inside is wood frame. I can accommodate the 30 feet. The WiFi 6 AX4200 it the top of my budget. We do have several items connect there are 4 ppl each with phones, iPads, several computers now that we work from home, Android tv boxes, fire stick, tiki security camera. My daughter also uses Xbox and ps4. Our current Equip just can’t keep up. Shout spend the $100 more for the RBK752.
Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

If it's something you can afford, it's worth trying it out and see how it works for you. The 1 RBR and 1 RBS should be plenty for your size of home. 

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

This is (yet another) example of options available to Costco members (besides the cheap rotissery chicken).

Amazon has the RBK752 (1 plus 1) for $449US and does not show an RBK753.  Costco sells the RBK753 for $499US.

Spend $50 to (a) allow for unusual building shape or materials, (b) provide a spare in case one satellite is enough but fails after 1 year, or (c) sell on eBay for a LOT more than $50.

You may want WiFi in the back yard (where we all seem to be spending a lot of time these days) and find that the concrete block walls make for horrible coverage.  Put that spare satellite in a window facing the outside and, voila, WiFi outside!

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

There food is good. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 11
Jetdrive
Luminary

You mean like over their?

Message 8 of 11
Elisa2414
Aspirant

Thank you for your response but I'm not looking for where to purchase just to get input on which to purchase. Unfortunately I no longer have Costco membership, don't have one that's local.

thank you

Message 9 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@Elisa2414 wrote:

Thank you for your response but I'm not looking for where to purchase just to get input on which to purchase. Unfortunately I no longer have Costco membership, don't have one that's local.

That's a really valid point.  My observation is that it is getting really difficult to find the WiFi5 Orbi products.  The Netgear store has only one Orbi package for sale:  https://store.netgear.com/home/?lang=en_US and most of the WiFi5 Orbi product line no longer appears on Amazon.  Best Buy seems to have a few that they ship from a central warehouse.

I guess my opinion remains. The WiFi5 Orbi is reaching "end of life".  If you can find one, it might serve your current needs.  If you need to expand an Orbi system, it is almost impossible to find additional satellites and the used prices are high.

When I finally have a reason to replace my Orbi, I will look at what is on the market at the time and what is highly recommended.  There is a better than even chance that my next system will not be from Netgear.

Message 10 of 11
Jetdrive
Luminary

Check out some info on WiFi 6E. It’s being released by years end and have a new 6 ghz band plus the two existing bands. If you still want WiFi 6 then I’m sure the prices will really drop once 6E is released.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7