Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mesh or no-mesh when replacing our WiFi system?

tdcarp
Aspirant

Mesh or no-mesh when replacing our WiFi system?

Recently have had some significant data performance and reliability issues and have decided to replace our home WiFi system.  Could use some basic guidance for deciding what equipment to buy.  Currently, the network includes a Netgear ORBI CBR40 modem/router, along with a couple Netgear EX6120 extenders.  In our configuration, the incoming data cable to the modem/router is at one corner of the house, so the extenders are at the other end of the house.  That configuration has worked very well until just recently, so I would be OK replacing the devices with non-mesh.  However, I'm also OK with a mesh system, particularly if it's signal strength and reliability are significantly better than what we have now.  It also looks like the mesh system would be easier to install.

The RBK50 mesh router and extender looks fine for our application.  In our configuration, we'd still locate the router near the incoming data cable, and then place the extender at the other end of the house.

I didn't see the RBK50 on the device list for this post.  It appears the closest is the RBR50.  Is there a difference?  Is the RBR50 a replacement?  If given a choice, is there a reason to select one over the other?

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 4
tdcarp
Aspirant

Saw the posts on the difference between RBK50 (kit) and RBR50 (modem).  Obviously, we need the kit (router and extender).

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

No, RB(R)50 is a Router only. 

(C)BR### is a cable modem built in. CBR50 and CBR750 are only ones with built in modems for Orbi systems. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7