Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mesh

jeff424
Aspirant

Mesh

I currently have a cable modem and router supplied by Charter.  Connected to the router by cable are my desktop computer and two range extenders.  I have a long one story house with a full basement.  The range extenders are located in the ceiling of the basement - my preferred location.  They are both wired.  I would like to install an RBK23 system in the same place and configuration - wired and in the basement ceiling.  I would also like to keep my desktop computer wired to a router.

Questions:

• Will this work?
  • I like the basement because the wiring is already there and I don't have to find space for the RBK 23 components on the first floor.
  • Will the signal penetrate a hardwood floor? - It does now with my range extenders.
  • Will I need to turn off the wireless function of my Charter router?
  • Are there better solutions? - I'm looking for a "unified" network because sometimes the portable devices don't switch to the best connection.
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

@jeff424 wrote:

I currently have a cable modem and router supplied by Charter.  Connected to the router by cable are my desktop computer and two range extenders.  I have a long one story house with a full basement.  The range extenders are located in the ceiling of the basement - my preferred location.  They are both wired.  I would like to install an RBK23 system in the same place and configuration - wired and in the basement ceiling.  I would also like to keep my desktop computer wired to a router.

Questions:

• Will this work?----Yes, just make sure to put the orbi in AP mode or you'll be in a double nat. Or you'll need your charter box in pass through mode.
  • I like the basement because the wiring is already there and I don't have to find space for the RBK 23 components on the first floor.----Should work great. wiring in the satellites with a wired backhaul will make them function better in my experience. 
  • Will the signal penetrate a hardwood floor? - It does now with my range extenders.----It should. It does in my place and i have hardwood floors. 
  • Will I need to turn off the wireless function of my Charter router?----Up to you. If you've got the wireless spectrum, you should be able to space out the channels so they don't interfere. If they do interfere, you can disable them. But you won't want to use the same name for the charter wifi and the orbi wifi. 
  • Are there better solutions? - I'm looking for a "unified" network because sometimes the portable devices don't switch to the best connection.-----there's always better solutions. But the orbi is a solid choice in my experience. Plus when you start getting "better" solutions, you start increasing the price you're going to pay for those solutions. You can go up to orbi AX solutions or even business class AP solutions. But again, $$$$. 

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@jeff424 wrote:

Questions:

• Will this work?
  • I like the basement because the wiring is already there and I don't have to find space for the RBK 23 components on the first floor.
  • Will the signal penetrate a hardwood floor? - It does now with my range extenders.
  • Will I need to turn off the wireless function of my Charter router?
  • Are there better solutions? - I'm looking for a "unified" network because sometimes the portable devices don't switch to the best connection.

Message 3 of 6
jeff424
Aspirant

Thanks very much for the replies.  I now have a much better understanding of the problems and solutions.

Message 4 of 6
jeff424
Aspirant

Thanks very much for your reply.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope this helps you in your endeavours. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 6